• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Helo seen at a recent flyin event. A turbine powered Helicycle. I have seen it on display at some other events. Never seen it fly. Think it flew into this event, but I missed it. It is usually trailered in. Built by a former Army pilot.
View attachment 34527View attachment 34528
That’s a nice helicycle…they are very good flying machines but are limited to just over an hour of flight time with only 24 gallons of fuel. The engine is the APU from a CH-53!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Raining off and on today so I spent about an hour doing hovering practice. It went well, but with winds gusting up to 25 knots at times it got a bit sporty. The airfield owner is pretty cool, he allowed me to paint a 40 x 40 box on the grass to work on! I am having a terrible time hitting my landing spot (basically two lines of pavers two feet wide by twelve long each with any real accuracy. Maybe something bigger?

Here’s a quick picture with a flash of blue sky.
2252773C-D71C-4C90-8DEA-0BB596981F2A.jpeg52D3E0C7-4B33-4C3A-817C-F696B0C65214.jpeg

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Raining off and on today so I spent about an hour doing hovering practice. It went well, but with winds gusting up to 25 knots at times it got a bit sporty. The airfield owner is pretty cool, he allowed me to paint a 40 x 40 box on the grass to work on! I am having a terrible time hitting my landing spot (basically two lines of pavers two feet wide by twelve long each with any real accuracy. Maybe something bigger?

Here’s a quick picture with a flash of blue sky.
View attachment 34724View attachment 34725
I'm sure Pags or I could come give you some free precision landing instruction.

Speaking of... Did Pags depart AW?
MAGA nuts finally got to him?
I couldn't tag him.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I'm sure Pags or I could come give you some free precision landing instruction.

Speaking of... Did Pags depart AW?
MAGA nuts finally got to him?
I couldn't tag him.
Any time you want a ride let me know. I can be at 2W6 (St. Mary’s) pretty quickly. Pags got sick of the AW in-fighting and took a break.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags got sick of the AW in-fighting and took a break.
Understood. Old news. We're all good here kumbaya and all. If he doesn't show himself soon folks will think Russia has Pagastan cowering in silence. Grizlandia may take advantage.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Understood. Old news. We're all good here kumbaya and all. If he doesn't show himself soon folks will think Russia has Pagastan cowering in silence. Grizlandia may take advantage.
We already have. Grizlandia helicopters own the sky over Pagastan!

DDB5E4A4-892C-4D12-B0EB-437428B0353F.jpeg

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am having a terrible time hitting my landing spot (basically two lines of pavers two feet wide by twelve long each with any real accuracy. Maybe something bigger?
I had a hard time with precision landing when I transitioned to the -135. I was pretty damn good at getting it in the trap on my own in a -60, but the places I would look in the -135 didn't work because of various pieces of airframe in the way, plus the fact that it was way more squirely.

My solution was to find line up lines, but they may not be where you would look for the conventional butt-line/line up line. For me, I mostly just look through the chin bubble now for my spot, but obviously it's whatever works for you in your aircraft. At my base pad, I try to keep the skids in between a 12" wide spacing where letters are painted on the pad, just to not scrape up the paint too much. Finding the right crack and mark was the key.

Another thing you can do if you're trying to hit a parking spot is paint something that would be right under the chin bubble. At our program hospital pads, someone put a small red cross on each spot (and both directions) so you can hover the chin bubble over the cross and know you won't hit the fuel pumps or put a skid in the fall safety barrier (we land on top of a parking garage and there are 4 spots for us and one giant pad for the Navy or visiting aircraft).

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Thanks @Gatordev I am at the same place with painting a line on my blocks to use through the chin bubble. I can’t see the skids with the doors on so a line might help…I seem to be landing too far back on my pad. The funny part is occasionally when I land I’m hitting the front part of the skids spot on but the aft section (say last two feet) are off parallel. I’m fighting that little bubble of air cushion in that last six inches or so.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks @Gatordev I am at the same place with painting a line on my blocks to use through the chin bubble. I can’t see the skids with the doors on so a line might help…I seem to be landing too far back on my pad. The funny part is occasionally when I land I’m hitting the front part of the skids spot on but the aft section (say last two feet) are off parallel. I’m fighting that little bubble of air cushion in that last six inches or so.

That's really where a butt line helps, but it would have to be far enough out laterally for you to see, and may not be practical (ie, allowed to be painted) where you're at. That's why if you can make a small X and put it right under the chin bubble, it gives you a more localized mark to hit. It's interesting, everyone I've seen transition to the -135 has the same problem (myself included) of landing farther back than they perceive.

And don't get me started on that last little bit of wobble and skid skew. Just when you think you've got it....you're not parallel anymore!