• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This Bell 222 made an appearance a few weeks ago at a Southwest Chapter of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation event. Also in attendance was 6 other helos including a loaded exec MD 902 and an AH-64 right off the Boeing plant ramp across the airport. The Chapter also received a donated super sweet airworthy Hughes 300 at the event. This Bell 222 prompted a comment form a guy with helicopter knowledges. "The first three engine helicopter Bell produced. Required two on the helo and one on the shelf." What say ye?
20211120_092136.jpg

This weekend, a huge helicopter fly in at the CAF, Airbase Arizona. Hope to get good photos from that.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This Bell 222 made an appearance a few weeks ago at a Southwest Chapter of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation event. Also in attendance was 6 other helos including a loaded exec MD 902 and an AH-64 right off the Boeing plant ramp across the airport. The Chapter also received a donated super sweet airworthy Hughes 300 at the event. This Bell 222 prompted a comment form a guy with helicopter knowledges. "The first three engine helicopter Bell produced. Required two on the helo and one on the shelf." What say ye?
View attachment 34359

This weekend, a huge helicopter fly in at the CAF, Airbase Arizona. Hope to get good photos from that.
Beyond “Airwolf,” the 222 isn’t among the best of Bell’s products.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I
View attachment 34359

Believe the aircraft pictured is a 230 - with the RR /Allison motors...(updated versions of what powers the mighty TH-57)

The triple deuce was a solid aircraft for it's time - one of the few SPIFR helos. With skids, it's a workhorse. The LTS101'S needed constant engine washes and always needed a post shutdown motoring to prevent carbon buildup on bearings and fan. The switch to Rolls/Allison power made the aircraft a success as the 230.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too true! Actually she is all done and ready to go. I just need a few days of good weather to finish the endless XC! Expect to see some exciting pictures here in the next three weeks or so.
That’s going to be one hell of a travel claim. ????

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saturday's helo event at Airbase Arizona, CAF, the AZ Guard flew in a brand new -60M. 42 hours total time. It actually smelled like a new car. Absolutely beautiful. I had never seen a new military aircraft.20220115_083627.jpg 20220115_083513.jpg
Our UH-1H has begun ground runs. After 11 years in storage and a two year restoration it will hover next weekend and be flying off hours for the FAA in February. End of this month I go through crew chief training in preparation for the public flying schedule.
20220116_192802.jpg

VMO4

Several months ago my neighbor mentioned a member of his "retired guys motorcycle club" was turning 102 in January. Jim was a Navy gunners mate in WWII and had spent the later 40's and 50's owning a Piper Cub, then a champ and Cessna 170. My neighbor said is there anyway he can get a ride? Operation Soaring Falcon was put in motion. Today, Jim was told he was going with the motorcycle group for breakfast on his birthday but they ended up at my airport, where I had gotten there early to get the girl warmed up in the high 40's temp morning. Jim is a very friendly, sharp 102 year old vet who was able to crawl in the front seat of my Cub with no help. We spent over an hour chasing birds, then we came back to about 40 people holding their cellphones to record my landing. Then we all made it to breakfast.

IMG_4818.jpeg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Painfully accurate….

Yeah, but everything is clean and well organized. Part of my avionics install frustration was that it was apparently done by a partially blind ape.

Meanwhile, I dropped my plane off today for its prop TBO. Hopefully there's not too much dust on the recently waxed plane when I pick it up in a few weeks.