• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Cool hobby. Wonder how you go about finding the originals for something like that. Wouldn't many be done in Japan?
Most of it seems to be American and European artists. I’ll ask how he got started.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just saw this today for the first time. STOL Drag Side by side race over 2000 feet measured on a runway. Pretty cool. Kinda scary if you ask me. Basically a short take off so you can accelerate airborne over the course. Must land past the 2000' marker so pilots slip and dump flaps. Land and do a 180 and fly back to the start. Faster you get down and turn around the sooner you get airborne accelerating opposite direction. First landing past the start line and full stop wins. I saw some very aggressive slipping at barely 20 feet. If I was flying and saw out the corner of my eye a wing 15-20 feet away dip 30 degrees my direction I might crap my pants. What if the goof doesn't get enough rudder in? What if his 180 on the deck is into my lane and not away? It is fun to watch.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Reminds me of one of my favorite Richard Bach short stories... "The Dream Fly-In"

Attachments

• The Dream Fly In Bach.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 10

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Damn! Got waylaid by small town airfield administration on a Sunday. The guy with the key to the fuel pump wouldn’t come in until after church. My 7 am departure became a noon departure…had to stop for the night a few hours short of my goal.

Oak Ridge…glows green…
B6BC5A3C-0A64-47B3-837D-B7622027D8A9.jpeg

Through the gap and into Virginia!

9C06B866-8DA8-41F0-BF99-70C69A90D3EB.jpeg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Made home this morning. I had to get out of KMKJ because a flock of V-22’s were coming in from New River. The airfield, Mountain Empire, even added concrete “burn pads” for the tilts. A shot of the New River just south of Roanoke.

D543D46D-AD5C-44C7-B3B9-1831370AC80D.jpeg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Does the grizcopter have some basic autopilot, or is it an "experience" every time you snap a photo?
No autopilot so yeah…every picture is either planned or a little out of focus. In truth if it isn’t gusty you can trim the helicopter for a bit of hands off flying - but not much. I have a video camera I have yet to mount and that should make for better photos.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Helo seen at a recent flyin event. A turbine powered Helicycle. I have seen it on display at some other events. Never seen it fly. Think it flew into this event, but I missed it. It is usually trailered in. Built by a former Army pilot.
20211120_124109.jpg20211120_124128.jpg