• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Notanaviator

Contributor
Several months ago my neighbor mentioned a member of his "retired guys motorcycle club" was turning 102 in January. Jim was a Navy gunners mate in WWII and had spent the later 40's and 50's owning a Piper Cub, then a champ and Cessna 170. My neighbor said is there anyway he can get a ride? Operation Soaring Falcon was put in motion. Today, Jim was told he was going with the motorcycle group for breakfast on his birthday but they ended up at my airport, where I had gotten there early to get the girl warmed up in the high 40's temp morning. Jim is a very friendly, sharp 102 year old vet who was able to crawl in the front seat of my Cub with no help. We spent over an hour chasing birds, then we came back to about 40 people holding their cellphones to record my landing. Then we all made it to breakfast.

View attachment 34387
That’s terrific.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yeah, but everything is clean and well organized. Part of my avionics install frustration was that it was apparently done by a partially blind ape.

Meanwhile, I dropped my plane off today for its prop TBO. Hopefully there's not too much dust on the recently waxed plane when I pick it up in a few weeks.
Here's a proper panel :)

Nicer than Navy Romeo/Sierra?

idaho-national-guard-uh-60m.jpeg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I meant, is the pilot is pointing at a Flight Management System?
I'm guessing more of a CDU to control avionics vs a full on airline style FMS. I like the AP/FD mode control panel layout with digital labels (HDG, NAV, ALT,FLC, VS, APR, etc)

UH-60V-Digital-Cockpit-Upgrade.jpg

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My brain would need some time to deal with not having a coolie hat shape as my cyclic trim switch.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
It would appear that -60M has no-joke FMS. What a world.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bigot. Good thing you retired. We don't say coolie hat anymore, so that cyclic control switch had to go.

But I am still NATOPS qualified in the -60, so maybe the joke is on the Navy!

Admittedly, I never looked up why it was called a "coolie" hat until now. I guess that's why it's not called a "China hat." That makes me wonder if they renamed the little island in Kaneho'e Bay. Hopefully not, as it made complete sense.