• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
A coupla guys have been going to KISP recently, not sure if that's where the guard base is.
West Chester sounds cool.

@Griz882, I've only got access to H-60s

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A coupla guys have been going to KISP recently, not sure if that's where the guard base is.
West Chester sounds cool.

@Griz882, I've only got access to H-60s
You worked with the AAHF guys bringing in the AH-1 and UH-1s? Guy that was the MacDouglas/Boeing test pilot is a bud. Great guy.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There are H-60’s at KISP…and Air Guard rescue unit (the “storm of the century” guys). West Chester is a little “trendy” for military air but the neighborhood is nice.

Side note @IKE flying into a major airfield doesn’t have any burdensome security requirements. You exit and enter the airport property via the FBO so no scans, lines, or such. Good ones will give you a ride and then pick you up later. Others have a loaner car you can take into town.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
There are H-60’s at KISP…and Air Guard rescue unit (the “storm of the century” guys). West Chester is a little “trendy” for military air but the neighborhood is nice.

Side note @IKE flying into a major airfield doesn’t have any burdensome security requirements. You exit and enter the airport property via the FBO so no scans, lines, or such. Good ones will give you a ride and then pick you up later. Others have a loaner car you can take into town.
I think the Perfect Storm H-60s are at KFOK which is a bit further east on LI. Unless they moved in the past 10yrs.

And the West Chester I was talking about with the Helo museum is in PA not the other swankier town (with no helo museum) in NY.

The only pain of a big airport is all the traffic but often they just shove VFR helos out of the way which makes it much nicer. But smaller regional international airports are basically the same as any little airfield but with a longer runway and some bigger jets. Not as much traffic and probably swankier FBOs for the corporate crowd. I recently flew out of the Dulles FBO and I was nowhere near the madness of the real terminals. Although I did come back and find my SoMD truck parked between a rolls and the high end Mercedes SUV.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I think the Perfect Storm H-60s are at KFOK which is a bit further east on LI. Unless they moved in the past 10yrs.

And the West Chester I was talking about with the Helo museum is in PA not the other swankier town (with no helo museum) in NY.

The only pain of a big airport is all the traffic but often they just shove VFR helos out of the way which makes it much nicer. But smaller regional international airports are basically the same as any little airfield but with a longer runway and some bigger jets. Not as much traffic and probably swankier FBOs for the corporate crowd. I recently flew out of the Dulles FBO and I was nowhere near the madness of the real terminals. Although I did come back and find my SoMD truck parked between a rolls and the high end Mercedes SUV.
Midway…Pearl Harbor…Perfect Storm….Storm of the Century…what’s the difference? I thought the C130’s were at Gabreski (KFOK) and the helicopters at KISP, but I could be entirely wrong as I have only been to KISP and saw some helos there.

As for Westchester…oops. I think the good people of Swankville would be traumatized by the arrival of a military helicopter.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Midway…Pearl Harbor…Perfect Storm….Storm of the Century…what’s the difference? I thought the C130’s were at Gabreski (KFOK) and the helicopters at KISP, but I could be entirely wrong as I have only been to KISP and saw some helos there.

As for Westchester…oops. I think the good people of Swankville would be traumatized by the arrival of a military helicopter.
A quick Google says we're both right! USA helos are at KISP and the USAF rescue wing (c-130s and H-60s) are at KFOK.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure I'll have more opportunities, but we settled on KAGC for tomorrow. Looking at a quick airborne harassment of Pagistan and Grizlandia, followed by a river run, circle around Seneca Rocks, then up to Pittsburgh for lunch (gyros). Return route is Harrisburg, Susquehanna River, Bmore, Naptown.

Just giving all you old guys a heads up so you can get the facts straight when you call about the noise.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure I'll have more opportunities, but we settled on KAGC for tomorrow. Looking at a quick airborne harassment of Pagistan and Grizlandia, followed by a river run, circle around Seneca Rocks, then up to Pittsburgh for lunch (gyros). Return route is Harrisburg, Susquehanna River, Bmore, Naptown.

Just giving all you old guys a heads up so you can get the facts straight when you call about the noise.
Solid route. I'll alert the Pagsistani Missile Troops and have the base ops # in speed dial. No Pimanti Bros when in Pittsburgh?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

You are welcome to fly the friendly skies of Grizlandia. Indeed, if the forces of Pagistan engage I assure you the people of Grizlandia will rise up, ask our women if we can borrow the Mini Cooper, and ride to your rescue.

Great route, the mountain part will be nice.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Launched 3 hours late for a non-malfunction.
In-flight land as soon as practicable EP while under a pop-up SIGMET approaching 5k-ft mountains on the Va-WVa border.
Didn't get to see Seneca Rocks or get lunch, but did get some nice views of DC and Bmore. Fueled up at KMRB and chatted with a prior H-1/H-58 flyer.
Good day overall.

KMRB FBO Lobby

Bmore

Got to fly "my" helicopter, as I tell my kids.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
In-flight land as soon as practicable EP while under a pop-up SIGMET approaching 5k-ft mountains on the Va-WVa border.
Didn't get to see Seneca Rocks or get lunch, but did get some nice views of DC and Bmore. Fueled up at KMRB and chatted with a prior H-1/H-58 flyer.
Good day overall.

View attachment 31864View attachment 31865View attachment 31866

KMRB FBO Lobby
View attachment 31867

Bmore
View attachment 31868

View attachment 31869
Love the Jefferson Memorial pic!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Good day overall.

View attachment 31864View attachment 31865View attachment 31866

KMRB FBO Lobby
View attachment 31867

Bmore
View attachment 31868

View attachment 31869
Nice pics...I was waiting for my airshow but it never happened. I had the tires all ready to light up like in Blackhawk Down.

I was always a fan of 519 if I had to slum in a Romeo...do you guys still have the kraken tail bird?