• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Nice pics...I was waiting for my airshow but it never happened. I had the tires all ready to light up like in Blackhawk Down.

I was always a fan of 519 if I had to slum in a Romeo...do you guys still have the kraken tail bird?
No tail birds unfortunately, but 519 still purrs. Had her up to 130 KIAS on Tuesday; felt like 90 KIAS in any other bird.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Launched 3 hours late for a non-malfunction.
In-flight land as soon as practicable EP while under a pop-up SIGMET approaching 5k-ft mountains on the Va-WVa border.
Didn't get to see Seneca Rocks or get lunch, but did get some nice views of DC and Bmore. Fueled up at KMRB and chatted with a prior H-1/H-58 flyer.
Good day overall.

View attachment 31864View attachment 31865View attachment 31866

KMRB FBO Lobby
View attachment 31867

Bmore
View attachment 31868

Got to fly "my" helicopter, as I tell my kids.
View attachment 31869
I had the chance to check out that Herky in the background when it was factory fresh I was pretty impressed by the new car smell, not the BO and old farts smell I was used to from the old F models.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This guy. Onme of CAP's funded missions as USAF AUX is to exercise Air Defense fighter guys as a TOI in TFR breech scenarios. This real word one went off as we train. But this poor dude in the PA-32...

ChuckMK23

pilot
Spend the day yesterday at the Grayling, MI ANG range facility with CAP Cadets, R-4201A - 32142

We got a tour of the range wihich has some interesting capabilities - full batteries of SA launchers, with emitters replicating various radar - same for tracked ZSU and BMP type vehicles:

Got to see some A-10's and F-16's at work dropping blue bombs and some fun show of force fly by's for the cadets..

Long flight home, quiet IFR flight - thankful for the XM radio capability built into G1000 FMS...

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Spend the day yesterday at the Grayling, MI ANG range facility with CAP Cadets, R-4201A - View attachment 32142

We got a tour of the range wihich has some interesting capabilities - full batteries of SA launchers, with emitters replicating various radar - same for tracked ZSU and BMP type vehicles:

View attachment 32143

View attachment 32144

Got to see some A-10's and F-16's at work dropping blue bombs and some fun show of force fly by's for the cadets..

View attachment 32146

Long flight home, quiet IFR flight - thankful for the XM radio capability built into G1000 FMS...

View attachment 32145
I was just up that way a few weeks ago! Stayed in Grayling and did a Staff Ride for some army dudes up at Mackinaw Island. On the way back down I saw a CH-53 flying around the Grayling area.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I was just up that way a few weeks ago! Stayed in Grayling and did a Staff Ride for some army dudes up at Mackinaw Island. On the way back down I saw a CH-53 flying around the Grayling area.
Did you do the Ramada or Days Inn? (Only DTS options) or rough it in "chargeable quarters" at Camp Grayling ?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Did you do the Ramada or Days Inn? (Only DTS options) or rough it in "chargeable quarters" at Camp Grayling ?
Days Inn...the primary army guys (O-5 and O-6 types) stayed at a resort called Treetops.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Days Inn...the primary army guys (O-5 and O-6 types) stayed at a resort called Treetops.
Treetops is a luxury golf resort - very swanky. We were all at Days Inn as well. I actually flew into KTVC because of rental car situation. Nice FBO too!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was a DC-10 Flight Engineer when Desert Storm kicked off. DC-10 FE was a cake job. Nothing much to do after take off. It became my job to keep the war news on the ADF as we flew across the country LAX-JFK. Was constantly tuning for the strongest station with the most current news. felt like a B-17 radio operator.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I was a DC-10 Flight Engineer when Desert Storm kicked off. DC-10 FE was a cake job. Nothing much to do after take off. It became my job to keep the war news on the ADF as we flew across the country LAX-JFK. Was constantly tuning for the strongest station with the most current news. felt like a B-17 radio operator.
Not so much on the ADF, But working night crew on the line in Okinawa we could tune in North Korean or Chinese propaganda stations on the HF radios for some entertainment.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
You should have told the drivers - "Boys I've got us tuned into Oboe...we'll be back in Blighty in time for some warm beers."