• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So I completed my final AF initial qual /NATOPS check in the one type the AF does not recognize me as being fully qualed...

This reminds me of when I had to take 3 NATOPS checks in a week right before my JO HAC cruise because of a stuck brake followed by O-4 silliness. By the third flight, I just told the checker that I wasn't really planning on doing the whole card since I had already done everything twice already, so just finish me up and sign the damn paperwork so I can get back to my ground job of getting aircraft out the door for deployment.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Need some help from the GA pros. This is serious... Where can a coupla helo bubbas get some great food (thinking Italian) within 10-15 minutes of an airport with a 6,500+ ft runway, within 300 mi of KNHK?
Constraint: don't wanna deal with a "real" airport with real security.
Bonus points if there's a microbrew near buy with growler service.
Thanks!

Edit: FBO needs to take Air Card too.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Need some help from the GA pros. This is serious... Where can a coupla helo bubbas get some great food (thinking Italian) within 10-15 minutes of an airport with a 6,500+ ft runway, within 300 mi of KNHK?
Thanks!

Look to the mountains. Shenandoah or Asheville if it's within 300nm. Or maybe something in upstate NY?

Reactions: IKE

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks!

I would say DeNunzio's Chophouse at KLBE (Arnold Palmer Regional) in Latrobe PA is right on the airport. Less than 200 miles (direct) from Pax River and is not a "real" airport. I have only been to Four Seasons Brewery but I hear one called Unity isn't bad. The one thing I'm not sure of...the Air Card. Probably they take it.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Look to the mountains. Shenandoah or Asheville if it's within 300nm. Or maybe something in upstate NY?
Thanks, went to Charlotte recently. Asheville might be just beyond what we can do.

I would say DeNunzio's Chophouse at KLBE (Arnold Palmer Regional) in Latrobe PA is right on the airport. Less than 200 miles (direct) from Pax River and is not a "real" airport. I have only been to Four Seasons Brewery but I hear one called Unity isn't bad. The one thing I'm not sure of...the Air Card. Probably they take it.
Gracias.

That's a lot of asphalt for a nerd whirler.

Still, KBLE is something over 8000.
Command prefers we helo bubbas can be rescued by a P-8 if we break while shut down...

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I'm curious what you mean by this. There is no "real" security at FBOs. It's a far more gentlemanly existence.
I'm still a newb at this, since I was a JO in Japan, and out-n-ins weren't really a thing in my DH tour. I figured flying into a major international airport would be a pain.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thanks, went to Charlotte recently. Asheville might be just beyond what we can do.

Gracias.

Command prefers we helo bubbas can be rescued by a P-8 if we break while shut down...
When I was at your command I had a CO who let us out and in to Tangier. We just had to promise that we wouldn't shear the starter. I mean you don't need a P-8 to rescue an H-60, otherwise how would the fleet do it?

Is the guard base on long island within 300nm? Do the NYC low level, check out the lady, and then get some Italian on long island?

Fly into West Chester PA and check out the American Helicopter Museum?

Cape May had a nice little FBO and a little museum and a weird collection of caribou (airplane) being converted from recips to turboprops.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What a bunch of panty wringing bull crap. You can't have another helo rescue you? 300 miles? That is a 6 hour drive. I have had a couple guys jump in a truck with a part and drive that far. Fixed the Hoover, spent the night and drove home. ROAD TRIP BABY. And a lot less expensive than a P-8. Sorry, I just can't wrap my head around that. As mentioned, how would the fleet manage?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Is the guard base on long island within 300nm? Do the NYC low level, check out the lady, and then get some Italian on long island?

Cape May had a nice little FBO and a little museum and a weird collection of caribou (airplane) being converted from recips to turboprops.

The Hudson River low is a fantastic route! The restaurant at Cape May (best for breakfast) is hardly Italian but the NAS Wildwood museum is quite cool. Both great suggestions.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The Hudson River low is a fantastic route! The restaurant at Cape May (best for breakfast) is hardly Italian but the NAS Wildwood museum is quite cool. Both great suggestions.
P1010108.jpg
Pioneer flight up the Hudson back in '11. We went to Stewart International up the Hudson past West Point for gas and then on to Hanscomb for an RON and then out via the Charles the next morning.
P1010128.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm still a newb at this, since I was a JO in Japan, and out-n-ins weren't really a thing in my DH tour. I figured flying into a major international airport would be a pain.

Understood. Another thing to note is the load bearing for the taxiways. Generally this isn't an issue except in the summer, but it can piss off the local airport. It also seems to be WAY more of an issue for West Coast guys (because of KSDM) then others. And I'd argue even Brown can take a -60, even if they say they can't (on one of their runways) from anecdotal evidence (albeit at night).

That said, while I was at Sun 'n Fun at Lakeland one year in a T-34, they parked us next to a Super Hornet. I can't remember if it was the nose-wheel or the mains, but they tried moving her during the height of the day and it created a pretty decent divot in the pavement, so weight can matter.