• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions after DCO Select

RJS

Is INDOC at your unit or the NOSC? If it's at the NOSC, I would email the COC of your unit and ask for the details of the N7 (training officer) and reach out to them to ask if it's possible to put you in ODS now. If your heart is absolutely set on January ODS, I wouldn't wait. If you can go to ODS later, then it's not as big of a deal.

I had my heart set on a certain ODS date and I wasn't able to get it, so if you're set on January I just want to try and set expectations. There are a lot of moving parts and the process moves slowly.

You might want to take a copy of your marriage certificate and, if you have kids, birth certificates to get them added. If your wife already has a CAC then I imagine they can add her as a dependent to you without her being there (because she'll already have a DOD ID number)
INDOC is at NRC/NOSC. Confirmed with N1 who said that NRC was responsible for scheduling me for ODS (it may be different for everyone). So I'll wait to speak to them during that time for scheduling. If I can't make the January ODS, I'll ask for the next date of 26 February; putting me into the next BQC cohort beginning in August.

I just spoke to the CAC office. Because I'm already in DEERS as a dependent, my wife's ID will suffice. I will definitely have to bring birth certificates and SSC's for my kiddos.

RJS

Curious as to what the moving parts were? For me it was as simple as the NRC training department going onto a website to make the quota request, which was approved by the schoolhouse the following Monday. Or was there an issue with orders or something?
Yeah...N1 expressed that NRC would find a seat for me as well as for BQC once ODS is completed. I'm looking to get this over with.

number9

Contributor
Curious as to what the moving parts were? For me it was as simple as the NRC training department going onto a website to make the quota request, which was approved by the schoolhouse the following Monday. Or was there an issue with orders or something?
Mine was handled at the unit, but the schoolhouse pushed back on my request.

INDOC is at NRC/NOSC. Confirmed with N7 who said that NRC was responsible for scheduling me for ODS (it may be different for everyone). So I'll wait to speak to them during that time for scheduling. If I can't make the January ODS, I'll ask for the next date of 26 February; putting me into the next BQC cohort beginning in August.

I just spoke to the CAC office. Because I'm already in DEERS as a dependent, my wife's ID will suffice. I will definitely have to bring birth certificates and SSC's for my kiddos.
Ah ok, then I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you can get in at the next DWE. You can browse the course catalog with a website called CANTRAC (CAC-enabled) and you can manage your own class status with a tool called eNTRS (CAC-enabled and you need to request an account). The class code for ODS is 03ww

Reactions: RJS

zamtz

1835. I've reached out to my triad (including the senior enlisted) but haven't been assigned a mentor yet.
Below is my overall timeline from when I first talked with the recruiter until now.

First OR Contact - 5/19
Interviews (3) - 4/20
MEPS - 5/20
Missed Board - 6/20
Board Date - 2/21
Selected - 3/21
Selection Letter - 6/21
Date of Rank - 6/21
Oath/Commission Date - 6/21
Report Date - 8/21
Gained - 11/21
1st Drill - 12/21
ODS - 7/22
Why is ODS a year after date of rank? Was that something you decided or the first available class spot?

number9

Contributor
Why is ODS a year after date of rank? Was that something you decided or the first available class spot?
Some classes are harder to get into than others, and some people need to balance work/family commitments which narrows them to only a few classes. Plus there is no class that starts in October (because it'd go through Thanksgiving) nor November (because it'd go through Christmas).

You are required to attend (graduate?) ODS within a year of commissioning. I've heard people get waivers to push that out, but that seems like playing with fire.

TheClyde

Some classes are harder to get into than others, and some people need to balance work/family commitments which narrows them to only a few classes. Plus there is no class that starts in October (because it'd go through Thanksgiving) nor November (because it'd go through Christmas).

You are required to attend (graduate?) ODS within a year of commissioning. I've heard people get waivers to push that out, but that seems like playing with fire.
There is a class in October, but none in November or December. I think covid through a wrench into getting a class last year, much easier currently.

RJS

Its definitely playing with fire if you have BQC to attend. For Supply, we have to complete ODS and BQC within 3 years after commission. Only way I see someone get a waiver is because of extenuating circumstances.
There is a class in October, but none in November or December. I think covid through a wrench into getting a class last year, much easier currently.
If I could have thrown my hat in to attend that class, I would have just to get it over with. Since I'm starting INDOC next month, I'm trying to get scheduled for the 22 Jan start.

warthog_az

You can purchase the brown boots for wear during your drill at your unit. The NEX sells 3 styles of black boots (if you’re able to get on to base). I purchased the regular 9” black boot (Seabag Item) to break them in for wear. However, will soon purchase the Belleville Flight Deck Boot for ODS since a ton of marching and standing will be going on.
So can I buy

So can I buy the Belleville Black Flight Deck Steel Toe Boot to wear during ODS or do we need the type III ?​

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This was answered in the ODS AMA thread.
But this IS the "Questions after ODS select thread". Seems reasonable to ask the question here, and it had not been asked here. Not like @warthog_az has a history of asking many times answered questions outside a relevant thread. Maybe someone who got up on the right side of the bed can answer the question and do a fellow NR officer a solid.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
But this IS the "Questions after ODS select thread". Seems reasonable to ask the question here, and it had not been asked here. Not like @warthog_az has a history of asking many times answered questions outside a relevant thread. Maybe someone who got up on the right side of the bed can answer the question and do a fellow NR officer a solid.

I wasn’t trying to be an a hole to the poster, simply telling him someone has asked this before on the ODS thread.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wasn’t trying to be an a hole to the poster, simply telling him someone has asked this before on the ODS thread.
Do you know the answer? If not fine. If you do recall the answer to the question you remember being in another thread, but spent more time on your chosen answer then it would take to simply answer yes or no, then you were not as helpful as you could have been. We try to be helpful and welcoming to newbies and wannabes that come here for answers.

warthog_az

Do you know the answer? If not fine. If you do recall the answer to the question you remember being in another thread, but spent more time on your chosen answer then it would take to simply answer yes or no, then you were not as helpful as you could have been. We try to be helpful and welcoming to newbies and wannabes that come here for answers.
Thank you both. I will be able to find the answer. I did search before asking, but this platform is full of information. It is difficult to find true answers and not just options.

Cheers!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you both. I will be able to find the answer. I did search before asking, but this platform is full of information. It is difficult to find true answers and not just options.

Cheers!
Just today I wanted to post in the skippers relieve thread. Searched skipper relieved and got no hits. I find the search function to be very poor.

Rudy.30

Cheers!
I would encourage anyone that has a question that they either cant find, or don't want to ask, just give the ODS school a call and ask them the question. The ODS Director and staff have always been very friendly and want to help you.

Below is from the ODS website.

If you have any questions, please consult the information included in the ODS website, contact the ODS Deputy Director at (401) 841-3345, Mon. – Fri. from 0800-1600 for ODS matters only.

Glad you were able to find the answer.