• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions after DCO Select

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Greetings,

I was told my first AT must be ODS, I am currently on the waitlist for the class but if I do not get seats I would need to do an AT or get a waiver. I am being told that no waiver are being approved at this time. Being that im prior-E does that mean I can conduct AT as normal if the ODS seats are full?

V/R

Adding to the above, almost certain you need to complete ODS and any sort of designator - specific training before you can even do actual AT.

Reach out to your incoming unit if you haven’t already.

njac35

Thank you for the advice and guidance. I am in the same unit in which I was enlisted so I may need to point out the DCO MAS code and the instruction saying ODS first. I was basically told no waivers are being accepted but I doubt they know about this instruction. I get the feeling that since I never really quit drilling with them, I just went from drilling with a crow one weekend to having a bar the next drill weekend that they do not believe I have to follow the same path as new DCO's. My sponsor is the NRC XO and I need to reach out to him more, as I have been leveraging my unit leadership for the most part.

njac35

Also the section that states "Any NROWs requirements MUST be completed within 30 days prior to ODS convene date." is not possible with folks on the waitlist from what I was told. I emailed the assistant quota control manager for OTC and was told ODS active seats are released to waitlist 16 days prior to convening date. NROWS requirements will not be written without a confirmed quota...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Also the section that states "Any NROWs requirements MUST be completed within 30 days prior to ODS convene date." is not possible with folks on the waitlist from what I was told. I emailed the assistant quota control manager for OTC and was told ODS active seats are released to waitlist 16 days prior to convening date. NROWS requirements will not be written without a confirmed quota...

You can use a little bit of common sense (no offense) here and just realize the 30 day rule was to prevent folks from procrastination, not so much for emergent + last min requirements.

Use your unit + NRC leadership, especially since you haven’t even commissioned yet. You’re truly are sweating the small things at this moment.

njac35

You can use a little bit of common sense (no offense) here and just realize the 30 day rule was to prevent folks from procrastination, not so much for emergent + last min requirements.

Use your unit + NRC leadership, especially since you haven’t even commissioned yet. You’re truly are sweating the small things at this moment.
I have been commissioned for a few months now

Rudy.30

Greetings,

I was told my first AT must be ODS, I am currently on the waitlist for the class but if I do not get seats I would need to do an AT or get a waiver. I am being told that no waiver are being approved at this time. Being that im prior-E does that mean I can conduct AT as normal if the ODS seats are full?

V/R
Some of the above info is not correct.

1. Yes you can do an AT prior to ODS. I did. I sat at the NRC for 2 weeks so I could check the 2 week box for a good year because ODS was full. So it is an option.
2. ODS is not AT, it is funded and coded as ADT. let your chain of command know what is going on and they can help. The Schoolhouse where you are assigned will approve this as they are the ones that pay for it. You will not go on a real AT for a long time, all your schools (ODS, BQC) will be ADT.

Hopefully you are in a Supply unit now and can get some decent supply training in for an AT even if it is just as an observer. Call your DCO Manager/Mentor as well as the schoolhouse. You should be able to figure something out.

What unit are you with currently?

njac35

Some of the above info is not correct.

1. Yes you can do an AT prior to ODS. I did. I sat at the NRC for 2 weeks so I could check the 2 week box for a good year because ODS was full. So it is an option.
2. ODS is not AT, it is funded and coded as ADT. let your chain of command know what is going on and they can help. The Schoolhouse where you are assigned will approve this as they are the ones that pay for it. You will not go on a real AT for a long time, all your schools (ODS, BQC) will be ADT.

Hopefully you are in a Supply unit now and can get some decent supply training in for an AT even if it is just as an observer. Call your DCO Manager/Mentor as well as the schoolhouse. You should be able to figure something out.

What unit are you with currently?
1835 out of the Atlanta area

njac35

I am an OIC at NRC Atlanta but for a supply unit, small world... You Intel people might do things different.. However I still think someone will be able to help you out.
I am in a great unit but they are less familiar with DCO's so we are all learning together. They are taking care of me but I was asking here to see what other before me had gone through. def a small Navy for sure

number9

Contributor
Greetings,

V/R
I haven't heard of anyone doing a first AT that is not ODS, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

There is basically one ODS class per month for the whole year, with the exceptions of no classes in November or December because of the holidays. (From memory, anyway). Are you saying every class for the next year is full? Or only the classes that work to suit your schedule?

Are you a reservist? I think summer classes have fewer quotas for reservists than AD, which may explain why the next few classes are full.

njac35

I haven't heard of anyone doing a first AT that is not ODS, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

There is basically one ODS class per month for the whole year, with the exceptions of no classes in November or December because of the holidays. (From memory, anyway). Are you saying every class for the next year is full? Or only the classes that work to suit your schedule?

Are you a reservist? I think summer classes have fewer quotas for reservists than AD, which may explain why the next few classes are full.
I am a reservist, unfortunately for me the reserve seats are actually full for the year. I applied for the first class that would have me but got waitlisted. There was only 25 reserve seats along with over a hundred active seats. I was told that 16 days prior they release leftover seats to the waitlist.

Squirrel Girl

Greetings,

V/R
Also a recent-ishly commissioned 1835. I did a standard 2 week AT last July then did ODS (ADT, but counts as this year's AT) this past October.

There is no reason you cannot do an AT prior to ODS, especially if you have prior experience.

number9

Contributor
I am a reservist, unfortunately for me the reserve seats are actually full for the year. I applied for the first class that would have me but got waitlisted. There was only 25 reserve seats along with over a hundred active seats. I was told that 16 days prior they release leftover seats to the waitlist.
Wow, I can't believe that! I guess talk to your COC about getting a waiver and go from there. Sorry to hear it..

jmald10

What is your experience with NSIPS updating your records from Enlisted to Officer after commissioning. What is the average timeframe.
My 2 cents: I am on ADT orders for my enlisted rate (no ODS) right after commissioning, because the system does not say I am an officer on NROWS, I ended up having to complete those Enlisted orders. Hopefully when I return, the PERS has updated my records, and I can get a new ID card and start working on securing an ODS spot.

njac35

What is your experience with NSIPS updating your records from Enlisted to Officer after commissioning. What is the average timeframe.
My 2 cents: I am on ADT orders for my enlisted rate (no ODS) right after commissioning, because the system does not say I am an officer on NROWS, I ended up having to complete those Enlisted orders. Hopefully when I return, the PERS has updated my records, and I can get a new ID card and start working on securing an ODS spot.
So my NSIPS took probably a month to update after swearing in and my OR sending my info to PERS and then a gain package to the NRC. You don't have to wait to try to schedule an ODS seats. You will probably be waitlisted anyway... When I log into eNTRS to see the roster for the classes there are folks with confirmed seats listed as PO2's and such.