• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

SlickAg

pilot
I am now about 14 days from positive test results, 13 from noticeable symptoms and 10 days from last noticeable symptom. By any guideline I am free and clear of the virus and have some measure of immunity. Mrs Wink continues to have symptoms, though it is mostly fatigue, loss of appetite and improvement to mild occasional cough. She is 10 days from her positive test and 8 days since first symptom.

You guys on active duty are obligated to follow DOD or Navy procedures. For those of us in civ world, you pretty much are on your own. If you haven’t noticed from just watching the news and casual reading, the guidelines are variable, and dependent on multiple factors. Government restrictions and procedures often don’t track with guidelines. The CDC may be held out as the standard, but there are other guidelines from various state and county health departments and reputable scientific and medical organizations. Take your pick.

Mrs Wink was exposed at a 5 hour deposition. All participants were masked. We followed our state health department guidelines, testing and quarantining. We both got negative results but still stayed in quarantine for the 8 day period specified by the state. We retested and went back to work after the 8 days. Two days later I received positive results and had exposed at least 8 other people. So much for the guidelines. As a nearly asymptomatic individual, if I hadn’t retested I would have continued to circulate and possibly infected others. One of the people we came into contact with tested positive and then two days later negative. She is still asymptomatic.

With Mrs Wink still infectious, I have done my due diligence regarding retransmission, immunity, etc. Again, everything is a best guess with plenty of disclaimers. How long does immunity last? Based on covid 19, no one knows. Based on similar viruses, one month to over a year. Best guess is 3 months but there have been a handful of reinfections out of millions of positive cases. That would be considered statically insignificant in any other case. In Vegas, those odds would virtually guarantee we all became rich. But in the case of covid, the disclaimer is basically, “watch the fuck out”. On retransmission from my wife, same guesses based on anecdotal evidence, statistically insignificant data, or “similar” virus’ but with major variations between them. Surface touch transmission, all over the map, with one notable point. Harding any proof of actual transmission via touch. I am taking the odds. YMMV.

Today I am securing from ‘RONA ISO MOD B. The sooner we are back to normal household life the better. I have even been so bold as to hazard the entire neighborhood by taking Mrs Wink out for a drive with the top down, her wearing N95 mask and me bare faced. We didn’t come within a city block of anyone. I might even take her down to the hangar while I drain that right fuel tank on the Luscombe. I am very sympathetic to people who live in areas with major restrictions. It is no wonder people are pushing back. Unfortunate that so many, in rejecting major restrictions, also set aside simple logical precaution. The chances of an average citizen dying of covid is incredibly small, but no one should want to be off work for two weeks or segregated from family with what amounts to nasty flu symptoms.
Glad things are going well for you!

However, I feel compelled to remind you that it isn't enough for you to have had it and be "immune", the CDC officially asks you to do your part by continuing to wear a mask until EVERYONE in America has the vaccine.

"Vaccination is a critical tool in bringing this unprecedented pandemic to an end. But until every person in the U.S. is able to get a COVID-19 vaccine, we continue to ask Americans to embrace proven public health strategies including social distancing, good hand hygiene, and wearing a mask in public to reduce the risk of transmission and protect our communities."

-Dr. Robert Redfield, CDC Director

I'd also like to remind everyone that Dr. Fauci has been purposefully moving the goalposts on herd immunity.

"When polls said only about half of all Americans would take a vaccine, I was saying herd immunity would take 70 to 75 percent ... Then, when newer surveys said 60 percent or more would take it, I thought, "I can nudge this up a bit," so I went to 80, 85. We need to have some humility here .... We really don’t know what the real number is. I think the real range is somewhere between 70 to 90 percent. But, I'm not going to say 90 percent."

BLAB: everyone reading this still isn't doing enough to stop the pandemic.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There's a gray area between political and apolitical for government agencies. I think it's inevitable that all government agencies get in that gray area at least a little and from time to time, that's just their nature. But, the CDC has made a few pretty big, key missteps this year- it's counterproductive for them and it's embarrassing for all Americans.

exNavyOffRec

There's a gray area between political and apolitical for government agencies. I think it's inevitable that all government agencies get in that gray area at least a little and from time to time, that's just their nature. But, the CDC has made a few pretty big, key missteps this year- it's counterproductive for them and it's embarrassing for all Americans.

There is a new story (or new to me) that I saw today that discusses the errors that the CDC made while other countries did not when the virus first started hitting places.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a whole thread about COVID, so please take it here.

I've moved it out of the War Zone for now, since moving back and forth into the War Zone is problematic. Please keep it civil. Mods, don't assume every post has an agenda. Posters, don't taunt the mods. Otherwise, back it goes to the War Zone.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However, I feel compelled to remind you that it isn't enough for you to have had it and be "immune", the CDC officially asks you to do your part by continuing to wear a mask until EVERYONE in America has the vaccine.
Nice passive aggressive post. Because you can't know when the immunity fades, of course it is a good idea to wear a mask. I do. But only when in public bldgs, larger groups or less then 6 or so feet.

SlickAg

pilot
Nice passive aggressive post. Because you can't know when the immunity fades, of course it is a good idea to wear a mask. I do. But only when in public bldgs, larger groups or less then 6 or so feet.
If that’s the case, why did your wife wear a mask? To protect you (who’s newly immune)?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Actual laughing out loud: Letterkenny (Hulu)

Good-guy-always-wins watch: Mandalorian (Disney+)

Post-flight catharsis: Great British Baking Show (Netflix)

Didn't-expect-to-binge show: Cobra Kai (Netflix)

Wife-is-on-sixth-watchthrough show: The Witcher (Netflix)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If that’s the case, why did your wife wear a mask? To protect you (who’s newly immune)?

...and breath.

Please don't make me move this back in less than 3 hours.

SlickAg

pilot
...and breath.

Please don't make me move this back in less than 3 hours.
I don’t find it unreasonable to ask whom is protecting whom and from what in this situation.

You’re the one who encouraged other mods to take people’s posts at face value; this is one of, if not THE, first instance of a valued member of the AW community going public with his/her diagnosis and documenting their subsequent experience firsthand.

What’s so awful about seeking clarity or better understanding in situations like this? The member felt comfortable sharing his medical diagnosis, how come we’re not allowed to ask follow-on questions here? I thought it would be nice to get some opinions about our government’s policy from someone who’s experienced this first-hand. Is this no longer allowed/encouraged?

SlickAg

pilot
When y’all went out for a drive, with the top down. I guess I just fail to understand the need for a mask in this situation. The only person she was going to give it to you was you. And you just had it, so if you were THAT concerned about catching it again couldn’t she have just gone for a drive by herself?