• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proposed change to FAR 61.73

HuggyU2

None
Update: I checked with the MFWIC at HQ FAA, and he said "bureaucracy" has moved the implementation date to 10 Nov 2008.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Update: I checked with the MFWIC at HQ FAA, and he said "bureaucracy" has moved the implementation date to 10 Nov 2008.

Sheesh. Did you hear anything further on a statute of limitations (if any) for getting the ticket?

Thanks for the update.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not trying to transition, just get the ticket. I've got quite a bit non-military, pre-Navy hours, so I'm not worried about that part, though it's a valid concern for guys who've only flown on the military side.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Check out www.airlinepilotcentral.com, there is a section on there devoted to the military transition into civilian flying.

freight_dawg.jpg

On the website... I don't know but it's pretty funny for a dog to be gritting his teeth and smoking with a ~18 AOB turn haha

HuggyU2

None
Update:
I spoke with HQ FAA today. The 10 Nov 08 is the date the new rule is released,... however it doesn't get "implemented" for another 60 days after that. I don't get it, but they say it's some sort of law.
Bureaucratic process, I guess.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the update, Huggy. It will be interesting to see how they do this.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm guessing this CFI ticket is only for military aviators acting in an instructional capacity?

phrogpilot73

I'm guessing this CFI ticket is only for military aviators acting in an instructional capacity?
-1 for reading comprehension:

if you're a graduate of a U.S. military instructor pilot school, you will be able to obtain flight instructor certificates and ratings by passing the appropriate FAA knowledge tests.

My understanding is that means if you've gone through a fleet IP syllabus/ITU/RAG IP-type status, not just going through as a CAT I, first time winger. But I may be reading that wrong.

HuggyU2

None
The proposal moved out of Flight Standards on 10 Nov, as planned. There are still another 6 weeks of admin coordination. However,... the FAA still hasn't determined the mechanics for how to implement the rule.
For former miltary IP's, it could go a number of ways. For example, let's say your last military checkride was 5 years ago. Is that the date they put on your new CFI certificate? If so, it would be out of date when you get it. However, the good news is that to renew it, you could take a checkride with a DE, since it would not be an "Initial" Instructor checkride.
As for the medical provision: do you carry a copy of your military medical? Or maybe not carry anything, but just have to provide proof within a certain amount of time if you get a ramp check? Don't know yet.
After it is finally signed, sealed and delivered, Mike at Sheppard Air says to expect another month to get the FSDO's trained up.
Bottom line: it should be a reality around 1 Feb.
As usual, more to follow as I find out more.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Minor G.A. Threadjack

So this in the similar vein...I just got my Commercial ASEL/AMEL with the BE200 Type rating (thank you VT-35!)...now what?

I want to get in a single engine puddle-jumper and tool around on my own time, take some friends up, etc...I am in Jax now, and want to find a good G.A. place that is a lot like the one in Pensacola where I did IFS.

I guess I would need to do a couple of flights with a CFI and get checked out in something like a C-152 (or whatever is equivalent) and keep up on my landings/approaches. Any advice out there? I really want to avoid the hassle of the MWR Flying Club...I just want to be another face at the Airport...

Thanks,
pickle