• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proposed change to FAR 61.73

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anything new on this? I seem to have lost the link of the school/prep site that keeps updating the info.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
It has been approved. Published Friday Aug 21 and effective Oct 20.

http://www.sheppardair.com/MilCompCFI.htm

Not sure I would want to instruct knuckleheads on the outside (4 years in Meridian with dudes trying to kill me was enough) but should look good a resume for those that choose to 'chase the dream!'

ryan1234

So this in the similar vein...I just got my Commercial ASEL/AMEL with the BE200 Type rating (thank you VT-35!)...now what?

I want to get in a single engine puddle-jumper and tool around on my own time, take some friends up, etc...I am in Jax now, and want to find a good G.A. place that is a lot like the one in Pensacola where I did IFS.

I guess I would need to do a couple of flights with a CFI and get checked out in something like a C-152 (or whatever is equivalent) and keep up on my landings/approaches. Any advice out there? I really want to avoid the hassle of the MWR Flying Club...I just want to be another face at the Airport...

Thanks,
pickle

I'm a little confused about that BE20 type... I thought the MGTW was 12.5k and didn't require a type in the civilian world?

Btw we're down the road ('bout 45min) south of Jax...have a good program, relatively inexpensive aircraft (everything from a Seneca,UC-1 Twinbee,172,etc) PM if you're interested.

HuggyU2

None
This change to Part 61 was implemented last week. Has anyone gone and gotten their CFI/MEI/CFII with the Mil Comp Test? I've waited so that that Sheppard Air study gouge would be paired down: it's down from around 1600 questions to around 550. Should have this knocked out as soon as I can get a few hours to study.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
This change to Part 61 was implemented last week. Has anyone gone and gotten their CFI/MEI/CFII with the Mil Comp Test? I've waited so that that Sheppard Air study gouge would be paired down: it's down from around 1600 questions to around 550. Should have this knocked out as soon as I can get a few hours to study.

I spoke to my local FSDO inspector as well as Gleim today, and this is what I've learned:

The only knowledge exam required of military instructors for CFI/CFI(I)/MEI is the FOI (Fundamentals of Instruction) computerized exam (civilians have to take FOI plus the specific FI exam that they are applying to get a rating in). Once FOI has been passed within the preceding 24 calendar months, the inspector will evaluate your military and/or civilian logbook and issue you a temporary CFI,CFI(I),MEI (Airplane or Rotorcraft) certificate on the spot based on the documentation of your military instruction experience.

According to Gleim, the FOI exam is apparently 50 questions and is out of a test bank of 100 questions. (The CFI exam which civilians have to also take, by contrast, is 100 questions and the CFI(I) that civilians have to take is also 50 questions). This is much nicer than either Instrument Airplane or Commercial Airplane knowledge exams which are out of a test bank of 938 and ~600 questions respectively.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
A buddy of mine called the same company that does the Commercial/Instrument deal in Pensacola. They are finalizing a similar setup for this, should be the same price as the other class. Also I believe the way it is being interpreted you are supposed to have been a UNI to qualify.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also I believe the way it is being interpreted you are supposed to have been a UNI to qualify.

UNI? Unit Natops Instructor? Seems like that would rule out a ton of IPs...like the majority of them. Or maybe you mean something else.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
That determination is not hard and fast yet, the guy said it all depends on which evaluator is responsible for signing the final paperwork. Right now the interpretation is loose enough that most guys with some sort of "instructor" in the job title should be ok. (Rag instructor, SWTI, HT/VT) But he said the way it's worded some of the evaluators are already heading down the "you need to be a NATOPS Instructor to qualify" route.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That determination is not hard and fast yet, the guy said it all depends on which evaluator is responsible for signing the final paperwork. Right now the interpretation is loose enough that most guys with some sort of "instructor" in the job title should be ok. (Rag instructor, SWTI, HT/VT) But he said the way it's worded some of the evaluators are already heading down the "you need to be a NATOPS Instructor to qualify" route.

That is absolutely retarded. I know you're just repeating what he said, but to say a primary or advanced IP wouldn't qualify for this but some fleet NI/ANI who rolls to a non-flying shore tour is more qualified is beyond dumb.

Whatever, I've got all my rotary and fixed-wing NI stuff, so screw 'em!

HuggyU2

None
FlyinOnFumes: incorrect. It is spelled out in the new FAR Part 61. There is a new test for this: it's called the "MCI" test. You don't take just the FOI. Your FSDO should have a received documentation on all of this.
Also, it's not "loose". You bring in your military paperwork that shows what the new Part 61 says. Simple as that. If you/were a T34 IP and later a P-3 IP, then you'll get your CFI and MEI. I'm assuming you'll get your MEI, but I don't know what Navy IP documentation looks like. Seeing as you're instrument rated, and teaching instruments, you should get that too. Again, reference the new Part 61. I've attached it for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• FAR 61.73g.doc
    27 KB · Views: 3

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
FlyinOnFumes: incorrect. It is spelled out in the new FAR Part 61. There is a new test for this: it's called the "MCI" test. You don't take just the FOI.

Anyone know a place in the Nahfuck, VA area to do this or have worked with a school up here before?

Also, it's not "loose". You bring in your military paperwork that shows what the new Part 61 says. Simple as that. If you/were a T34 IP and later a P-3 IP, then you'll get your CFI and MEI.

Doesn't look like there's a time limit in the new rules...ie, flown in the last 12 months. Anyone heard or read of any? I couldn't find any myself.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
FlyinOnFumes: incorrect. It is spelled out in the new FAR Part 61. There is a new test for this: it's called the "MCI" test. You don't take just the FOI. Your FSDO should have a received documentation on all of this.
Also, it's not "loose". You bring in your military paperwork that shows what the new Part 61 says. Simple as that. If you/were a T34 IP and later a P-3 IP, then you'll get your CFI and MEI. I'm assuming you'll get your MEI, but I don't know what Navy IP documentation looks like. Seeing as you're instrument rated, and teaching instruments, you should get that too. Again, reference the new Part 61. I've attached it for your viewing pleasure.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...iv8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.9&idno=14

The new FAR §61.73(g)(i) states:
A knowledge test report that shows the person passed a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed under §61.185(a) appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought and the knowledge test was passed within the preceding 24 calendar months prior to the month of application. If the U.S. military instructor pilot or pilot examiner already holds a flight instructor certificate, holding of a flight instructor certificate suffices for the knowledge test report.
so, I turned to §61.185(a)
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...iv8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.8.1.3&idno=14
§ 61.185 Aeronautical knowledge.
(a) A person who is applying for a flight instructor certificate must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor on:
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, the fundamentals of instructing, including:...
This is what what the FSDO inspector pointed me to in telling me that he'd be looking for the FOI exam...

Where does it say specifically MCI test?