• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proposed change to FAR 61.73

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info on all of this.

I started this thread, because I just started (as in completed one intro flight) working on my CFI. My situation is a little convoluted and I (and the schools I have talked to) are having a hard time figuring out the best approach to getting this done in the most efficient way possible.

I have a COMM MEL, so in order to be a useful CFI in GA I need to get my SEL. Does anyone have any tips on how to get this all done? Here are the tasks I know I need to accomplish:

Basic flying (get the SA back up)
SEL
CFI groundwork, to include FOI
CFI airwork

Also, several instructors have suggested that I pick up some books/software to start studying for the CFI stuff. I have looked through all the big online stores, but I am a little overwhelmed. I don't need the CFI all-in-one kits, because I have most of the aviation trinkets from the Navy. Can anyone boil it down to a couple of books to get me started? (FAR/AIM is a given, I am looking for CFI specific).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^^^ Actually you could get your MEI first if you wanted or even CFII using a ME aircraft. Nothing says you have to have the SE CFI.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
^^^ Actually you could get your MEI first if you wanted or even CFII using a ME aircraft. Nothing says you have to have the SE CFI.

True, but the places that I have checked out in the area don't really seem equipped to do that. In fact, one of them was surprised to have a prospective CFI student.

Heloanjin

pilot
I recently finished my CFI. I found the GLEIM books most helpful with basic gouge, especially for the written exams. The test prep books will give you all the gouge you need to pass and probably ace the tests. Flight/Ground Instructor and Fundamentals of Instruction are the titles.

Other books I found helpful:
Gleim Flight Instructor Flight Maneuvers
Gleim Pilot Handbook

The FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Airplane Flying Handbook were helpful. If you cite these pubs during the 5 hour ground portion of the CFI practical, they can't fault you. Plus, they are actually pretty good references.

Finally, there are a number of AC's you can download off the FAA website, AC 61-65D and the PTS for PPL and Comm most importantly.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thanks, that is just what I was looking for.

As far as a syllabus...
Did you just study those books for groundwork? Did you take any classes, or just ask you CFI(s) stuff?
What about flying? Did you go through a set syllabus? Work with your CFI and made something to match you skills/experience? Play it by ear?

Heloanjin

pilot
Mine us a bit of a convoluted story. I started under Part 141 so I could use the GI Bill. That requires flying the entire syllabus, but I figured it would end up costing the same as under Part 61 w/o GI benefits and I'd end up with more flight time/experience in civ a/c.

Well, hurricanes and a CFI that was more interested in flying charter slowed me down WAY too much, so I went to another FBO and jumped on Part 61. I planned to do a couple more flights (spin cert and maneuvers in a complex a/c) and a little ground prep, and then do the checkride. Another hurricane, holiday, surgery and a move later and I couldn't get it done where I started.

So, at my new home I picked back up on Part 141, used the GI Bill and finished the full syllabus.

Looking back, I should have either started on Part 61 flying the civ maneuvers in the right seat of a complex a/c. Depending on the a/c and how quick you pick up the maneuvers, it could be a handful of flights. Plus a fair amount of ground prep with a CFI to cover the things that the examiner is likely to ask.

Or I should have taken a little time off and spent some money to take the one week course from ALLATP where you come out with CFI/CFII/MEI.

Either of those routes would have cost me less and taken a lot less time.

BTW, another good book is the ASA CFI Oral Exam Guide.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all the info.

The main problem I was having was being overwhelmed with information and things to do. With all of you info I have got a place to start now, thanks.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
What school are you with? I got my license (and did IFS) with Capitol Air, but last I heard they were having financial problems. From what I've heard, ProFlight is the best place to go and seems to be the most professional.
http://www.learntoflyatbwi.com/

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
What school are you with? I got my license (and did IFS) with Capitol Air, but last I heard they were having financial problems. From what I've heard, ProFlight is the best place to go and seems to be the most professional.
http://www.learntoflyatbwi.com/

I checked out both. It's funny, I walked into Capitol and it looks like a dump but they seemed to know what they were doing. I walked into ProFlight and it was the opposite. The facilities were great, but they were surprised to have a prospective CFI student around, didn't really know what to do.

So far, I have flown once with Capitol, but I am still open to either one. They are almost the exact same distance from me.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I did IFS with Proflight. My experience was pretty pleasant, but I can't really speak to CFI at all.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Like I said, I did all my training with Capitol Air, but it was at Bay Bridge (awesome airport, fly there if you can) but they had to close down there because they were hemorrhaging cash due to mismanagement. One of the pilots I talked to was looking to switch to ProFlight. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Capitol Air but they were a little far from me (and Bay Bridge was a much easier airport to fly out of). I've always heard good things from ProFlight and they seem to be a much more involved operation, but I've never visited them so you'd know better. I think they're just used to IFS guys and are so overloaded with them that they were surprised to see someone like you. I've done most of my flying out there so if you have any questions I'd by glad to help.

If you can, fly to Cambridge (just south of Easton), they've got a great restaurant that you can park your plane at. I used to take off at sunset with a date and fly there for dinner. The flight back would be a night flight and they always loved it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Hmmm, I might do some more investigating.

@llnick: Could you work the pattern at BWI, or did you have to go somewhere else? I don't want to have to deal with a tower at a big airport if I don't have to. I don't need the experience on the radios and I want to minimize the pain.

I might take a flight with ProFlight this week.