• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proposed change to FAR 61.73

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know any details?

I have heard and read in AOPA magazine that this proposed change will allow military aviators to take a competency test in order to get our CFI tickets.

Does anyone know anything else? Like when it might happen and what sort of time limit restrictions might be imposed? For instance, do you need to have been flying within the last 12 months like what is necessary for getting your commercial license based on military experience.

I am wondering, because I am thinking about getting my CFI, in fact took the first flight yesterday, but I would rather not spend the money if this goes into effect soon AND I might qualify.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I heard that change was in the works a little while back. I think the first time I saw it was in the May issue of AOPA's student pilot mag. Who knows how long it will take before they get it going through the works. I having picked up a copy of the '08 regs, so it might be in place, but no one around our flight school has heard anything.

My advice would to just get through your CFI ticket on your own. The rating is to proficiency so you shouldn't have any trouble going through it. With all of your experience I couldn't see it taking more than 10 flights. The only thing I had to wrestle with was all the book work, FAR knowledge, and stuff like that. You can probably bang it out in under a month for just around $1,500. Either way the expensive part will be the examiner milking you for $700.

If you hear anything about the change going into effect let me know too. There are a couple of guys I know that would like to jump on that.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I'm working on mine right now and I feel like I'm studying for a psychology degree and not anything flight related

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, I have to earn my SEL at the same time. I know most of it can be done simultaneously, but I have information overload right now trying to figure out what to study and work on first. I figured if this was going to happen, I could just knock out the CFI test and focus on SEL for the rest.

FelixTheGreat

pilot
You want have a problem doing the commercial SEL. Some people do the whole thing from the right seat so that they don't have to learn all over how to do commercial manuvers from the right seat. Either way I'm sure it will be a cake walk for you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a bunch of us here who are waiting for this to happen, as well. I haven't heard anything as of late, just that it would go up for review sometime this fall. If I had to guess, I'd say it will happen some time in 2009, about one month after I haven't been an IP for 12 months.

FelixTheGreat

pilot
I'm working on mine right now and I feel like I'm studying for a psychology degree and not anything flight related

Isn't the FOI stuff wonderful? It is the most BS thing that I have ever studied. The only thing I got out of it that was useful was using building blocks to teach techniques. Other than that, I have yet to apply Bloom’s Taxonomy of learning hierarchy.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There's a bunch of us here who are waiting for this to happen, as well. I haven't heard anything as of late, just that it would go up for review sometime this fall. If I had to guess, I'd say it will happen some time in 2009, about one month after I haven't been an IP for 12 months.

The blurb I read didn't have anything to do with being an IP, it was for all military pilots.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/ft_magazine/fullstory.cfm?id=5956&issue_title=June%202007

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The one that went out over NMCI specicially mentioned an "military IP qual." I don't think I have the document anymore. Not to say your document is wrong, just saying what I read.

...Just found this in your link:

if you're a graduate of a U.S. military instructor pilot school, you will be able to obtain flight instructor certificates and ratings by passing the appropriate FAA knowledge tests.

My understanding is that means if you've gone through a fleet IP syllabus/ITU/RAG IP-type status, not just going through as a CAT I, first time winger. But I may be reading that wrong.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The one that went out over NMCI specicially mentioned an "military IP qual." I don't think I have the document anymore. Not to say your document is wrong, just saying what I read.

...Just found this in your link:

My understanding is that means if you've gone through a fleet IP syllabus/ITU/RAG IP-type status, not just going through as a CAT I, first time winger. But I may be reading that wrong.

Ha, can't even read my own link. However, it was explained the opposite to me, you didn't have to be an IP. That does make much more sense though.

MasterBates

If it is the "MIL IP" and not all MIL pilots what will they use for IP determination?

I think it's a tad different being a P3 Fleet IP (had to ask what one was, appears we called it ANI in HSL, and did not have a patch for it) or HSL ANI (Assistant Natops Instructor) and being a HT/VT IP teaching guys to fly from essentially day 1.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If it is the "MIL IP" and not all MIL pilots what will they use for IP determination?

I think it's a tad different being a P3 Fleet IP (had to ask what one was, appears we called it ANI in HSL, and did not have a patch for it) or HSL ANI (Assistant Natops Instructor) and being a HT/VT IP teaching guys to fly from essentially day 1.

Another big difference is the way the Navy and AF teach IP's. The AF does (or used to) have a school in Randolph that they sent their IP's too. I don't know if that was just for guys who were training cat 1 type studs, or more advanced training. That is a little different than how we do the HITU's and FITU's locally. I wonder how much the syllabi differ and if there will be problems in translation for the FAA.

huggy2, you're a T-38 IP, did you go to Randolph?

HuggyU2

None
huggy2, you're a T-38 IP, did you go to Randolph?
Yes I did: three times! And in the T-38 all three times. Not as bad as it sounds, though. I didn't fail out.
My second time through was when I checked out to be a T-38 IP in the schoolhouse there (we call it PIT; you call it IUT). A very enjoyable 3 year tour, and good flying.

The public comment period for this mil competency NPRM closed back in May. The FAA is working through the comments. Initial reports are that they are very positive. I spoke with the folks at National Association of Flight Instructors (NAFI), and they think it could be a done deal by the end of the year.
I also got the number of the D.C. FAA guy that is somehow involved, or running this thing. I called him last week, and his voice mail said he was out until today. I figure he's busy and I'll have to pimp him a few times. But if/when I get any info from him, I'll post it here. Another U-2 guy did speak with him about 2-3 months ago, and the guy estimated it would be done in Feb 08.
As I understand it (but I haven't read the full NPRM), any military instructor will be eligible. There will be a written test, but I don't know what else.
I also don't know how this will work for the rotary guys. I would assume you'd become a CFI for rotorcraft. If you were/are also a T-34 IP, maybe you'll be a CFI in both fixed- and rotary-wing. I don't know.
A part of the push on this is to stop the declining numbers of CFI's. I've delayed finishing my CFI training until I see where this goes. It could save you a few thousand $$.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Isn't the FOI stuff wonderful? It is the most BS thing that I have ever studied. The only thing I got out of it that was useful was using building blocks to teach techniques. Other than that, I have yet to apply Bloom’s Taxonomy of learning hierarchy.

Alot of it is garbage and I could be spending my time doing more important stuff (like.. uhhh.. uhhh..)

I've had 8+ CFI up until now and I don't think any of them would be any worse if they didn't know what "REACTION FORMATION" or "SUBLIMATION" is.

maslow.jpg