• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Flight Question?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Waaaah. Anybody else around for Black Monday in 1991 when the Navy culled a multitude of SNA's - all the way from API to guys waiting to wing - who, although passing, had the lowest NSS's? Ugly times. 5 years later the Navy had a T-notch and deficit of pilots in certain year groups....

I forget the actual NSS requirement, but it worked out to roughly needed a 92-93 on each API test when I went through. Tons of folks kicked out or redesignated for having like an 89 or 90 average. Nuts. My year group had a small T-notch (so I've been told by PERS briefs), but I think some of it has been rectified by putting the flying warrants, regardless of YG in the 2010 YG. Anyone know if there's truth to that statement?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Waaaah. Anybody else around for Black Monday in 1991 when the Navy culled a multitude of SNA's - all the way from API to guys waiting to wing - who, although passing, had the lowest NSS's? Ugly times. 5 years later the Navy had a T-notch and deficit of pilots in certain year groups....
Oh, yeah...I remember that. I was on DET forward deployed at the time but we heard about it...heck, I heard about it a few months ago from someone on our jump seat. To be honest, if I was in that "API to waiting-to-wing" group, I would have been history. Definitely ugly times. :(

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Oh, yeah...I remember that. I was on DET forward deployed at the time but we heard about it...heck, I heard about it a few months ago from someone on our jump seat. To be honest, if I was in that "API to waiting-to-wing" group, I would have been history. Definitely ugly times. :(

For those of us who were not natural pilots and slow to aeronautically adapt, there was a quote from Wellington at Waterloo that fits... As with your career, so much of flight school (even selection to flight school) could be attributed to timing.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I forget the actual NSS requirement, but it worked out to roughly needed a 92-93 on each API test when I went through. Tons of folks kicked out or redesignated for having like an 89 or 90 average. Nuts. My year group had a small T-notch (so I've been told by PERS briefs), but I think some of it has been rectified by putting the flying warrants, regardless of YG in the 2010 YG. Anyone know if there's truth to that statement?
It's not the"3.0 to CO" level of the original T-Notch, but "Son of T-Notch" is real, here, and baked into the results already, hence PERS' comment that promotion rates for aviators will continue to climb.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
For those of us who were not natural pilots and slow to aeronautically adapt, there was a quote from Wellington at Waterloo that fits... As with your career, so much of flight school (even selection to flight school) could be attributed to timing.
So true...so true.

Also, I hear you regarding "selection to flight school"...heck, when I applied and was accepted to AOCS in 1986 [the big pilot push was still going on], the minimum [but still competitive] college GPA required was 2.0 according to my OR. Many of my fellow AOC's had 2.0's, 2.1's, 2.2's etc. I thought I was pretty shit hot with my humongous 2.5...lol.

Timing, timing, timing.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

That sounds right. The one I know of for put into YG09 but was finishing shore duty, so his timing is all messed up. Caveat that with the fact that most of them will hit sanctuary by the time they're up for O-4 by virtue of their prior time, so they are "free agents" to a degree.

Edit: Also don't think PERS cares much about them since it was a small program and all went non-TACAIR, which is where the manning pain is being felt.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So true...so true.

Also, I hear you regarding "selection to flight school"...heck, when I applied and was accepted to AOCS in 1986 [the big pilot push was still going on], the minimum [but still competitive] college GPA required was 2.0 according to my OR. Many of my fellow AOC's had 2.0's, 2.1's, 2.2's etc. I thought I was pretty shit hot with my humongous 2.5...lol.

Timing, timing, timing.

Hell yeah brother! Class 12-86 marching with a 2.5 GPA!

Still, an undergraduate GPA is not a good metric, I now have a Ph.D. and some people actually think I'm smart.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Hell yeah brother! Class 12-86 marching with a 2.5 GPA!

Still, an undergraduate GPA is not a good metric, I now have a Ph.D. and some people actually think I'm smart.
WOOT!

Hatch body [with the shitty GPA] off the rear!

Class 41-86 [with the shitty GPA's] marching into chow!

EMI will not raise your shitty GPA!

WOOT!

:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The father of a buddy in my Prowler squadron was in advanced jets in '69 when they had an all hands at the base theater, 80% of the the studs were cut with no notice.