• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paths to Naval Special Warfare (SEAL)

Bernie Kosar

I remember at OCS he specifically said that he would fly F18s. Talk about setting goals getting what he wanted in life.

This is a bit of a thread jack.... Out of curiosity, how much of your success during flight training depends upon hard work? For example, for those with military flight training, could an untalented pilot perform well during training and overcome his/her talent deficiencies with hard work?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjack underway

This is a bit of a thread jack.... Out of curiosity, how much of your success during flight training depends upon hard work? For example, for those with military flight training, could an untalented pilot perform well during training and overcome his/her talent deficiencies with hard work?

It's all hard work...almost like finals every day. You're continually exposed to more difficult tasks and associated higher levels of performance are expected. You don't have to arrive as a "talented" aviator, but you need to be able to learn and perform. Hard work in and of itself doesn't mean anything unless you can perform to the expected level. They have "green tables" set up to deal with those who don't make the grade. Contrary to some beliefs, arriving with a lot of flight time doesn't always guarantee success as the "Navy way" of flying isn't the same as civilian flight time and some folks in that situation have to unlearn some ways of doing business. Motivation and hard work will get you where you want to be. Simple as that.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Out of curiosity, since the SpecWar (I hear different opinions on whether EOD is SpecWar or SpecOps, but EOD is what I'm referring to) community is poised for expansion, will the Navy be more inclined to assign billets for the newly commissioned to those communities? I.E. similar to those who put SWO and got NFO?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There are quite a few ROTC guys who bailed when they knew BUDS wasn't gonna happen and arrived as screamin seamin.

There was one such individual that did just that from my ROTC unit. He was a year behind me and DOR'ed. About 8 years later, he was in the back of my helo as a sniper. Small world. Unfortunately, he was in the Chinook that went down in '04 or '05 and didn't make it out. Big news (albeit sad) in both Hawaii and back at UF.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
[QUOTEAlmost any situation can be waivered or grandfathered. I am pretty sure the oldest graduate was 38,[/QUOTE]

That guy was the honorman of my BUD/S class. He started when he was 38, and graduated when he was 39. He originally made it to the end of BUD/s 20 years earlier, quit when his girlfriend said she wouldn't marry him if he went to a SEAL Team. She left anyway, he went on to become a U.S. Treasury Officer, but stayed in the reserves. I guess the "What if" got the best of him. Absolute stud. hell, I'm 36 now and you couldn't pay me enough to go through BUD/S again.

I know who you're talking about. 198ish? I saw him on an email list from SOCCENT in 03. The Reserves un-reserved him for the show...He was working for his triathlon buddy, also from ST3. The TV star.

Im refering to another 38 YO who went to 3 and later wound up with a guy you remember as Taco= Although Hispanic the nickname would have been better spelled talk-o-lot.

I'm gonna call the Center this week and ask if they know who was older, I'de forgotten about your Class LPO. There may be others by now.

Speaking of TV stars. You MUST know Chris Courtley. Have you seen his website??

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My NRD is working with a guy now that was/is a SEAL officer. He got out and is in the IRR. He got out because all he wanted was to deploy in the Teams. He is too senior for that now. He is trying to work a deal with us where he resigns his commission and goes back to the Teams as an enlisted guy. I haven't heard anything for several weeks. I don't like his chances though. Got to love the dedication though.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was one such individual that did just that from my ROTC unit. He was a year behind me and DOR'ed. About 8 years later, he was in the back of my helo as a sniper. Small world. Unfortunately, he was in the Chinook that went down in '04 or '05 and didn't make it out. Big news (albeit sad) in both Hawaii and back at UF.
Who was this?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of curiosity, since the SpecWar (I hear different opinions on whether EOD is SpecWar or SpecOps, but EOD is what I'm referring to)
There are no differing "opinions." EOD falls under Special Operations, while SEAL's fall under Special Warfare.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy EOD provides support to a wide variety of "customers" including the realm of Special Operations and has task dedicated Navy Special Warfare units and some EOD folks are imbedded into NSW units. They also support other agencies/customers. From their official site:

The Navy's EOD force is organized at three levels: EOD Groups (EODGRUs), EOD Mobile Units (EODMUs), and various EOD Companies (EOD Companies)

EOD GROUPS
There are two EOD Groups: EODGRU ONE at San Diego, California (Naval Amphibious Base Coronado), and EODGRU TWO at Norfolk, Virginia (Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek). Both groups report to the Commander, Navy Expeditionary Combat Command.

EOD MOBILE UNITS
Each group has readiness responsibility for several subordinate EOD Mobile Units (EODMU). Though defensive in nature, EODMUs are trained in combative skills and small unit tactics. The pressures placed upon an EOD team can be enormous. Not only can they be called upon to disarm explosive ordnance and Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), but they may have to do so with enemy forces in close proximity. Regardless, EOD performs its mission when called upon.

EOD COMPANIES
These teams consist of several shore-based EOD companies supporting key naval installations along the east and west coasts of the United States and at selected locations inland and overseas. EODMUs are also comprised of deployable Mine Countermeasures Companies (EOD MCM Companies), multi-mission Mobile Companies (EOD MOB Companies), Naval Special Warfare Companies (NSW Companies), and Marine Mammal System Companies (MMS Companies).