• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paths to Naval Special Warfare (SEAL)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
SEAL Questions

I'm not sure where this thread should go, or even if I'm asking the right people, but does anybody know where I can find some good info about the SEALs? Particularly how many officers/enlisted get accepted to BUD/S each year? If there are any guys with any knowledge about NavSpecWar on the board can I PM y'all cause I got a bunch of questions about how to get into it.
Thanks a bunch.

twidget

Deskaholic
If you haven't already, check out www.seal.navy.mil, looks like they've got some pretty good info over there. They make around 10-15 selections each year which is a selection rate of about 15%. The Competitive Profile for SEAL is:

Education: 3.5 GPA
ASTB: OAR - 43
PST:
Run/Swim < 9:00
Pushups > 100
Sit-ups > 100
Pull-ups > 20
Positive Factors:
Leadership experience
History of sports involvement

TigerStripe

I am gonna suggest asking questions on http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb

Be respectful, use the search feature THOROUGHLY before asking questions, and you can get good "experience" info on there (at least one guy was a UDT in Korea, and there are several SEALs as well as other specop types there)

edit: they are quick to boot anyone who even remotely pisses them off, so watch you words and you can get REALLY high quality gouge

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy Times has a caption contest every week. Knock yourself out.

(generally message board caption contests are unfunny)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For FY 06 13 SEALs were goaled for OCS recruiters. Last time I checked, a month or so ago, they had 11 selected. The goal will likely go up a bit next year.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SEALs and Army SOF are growth industries for forseeable future. BRAC/POM 08 decisons by OSD are out and all services are increasing billets so accession will be increasing across the board.

Wedge

Is it a requirement that you are in the navy to be a SEAL or can others services apply to the SEALs. I am a Marine officer and was wondering if Marines can become SEALs.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wedge said:
Is it a requirement that you are in the navy to be a SEAL or can others services apply to the SEALs. I am a Marine officer and was wondering if Marines can become SEALs.
Anything is possible. Now, whether it's probable or not is a different question altogether.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From my fleet experience w/ SEALs, which mostly consists of watching them on the Military channel, I think what he may be referring to is transferring over. So you become a Navy SEAL after having been a Marine whatever. But you're still a Navy SEAL and not a Marine SEAL.

VAmookie

what title you bare i would have to find out for sure. But there has been a time/times when marines could go to BUD's. They may not have been called "NAVY SEALs" cause they were in the Marines and they may not have been called "Marine SEALs" cause there is no such thing and it sounds really stupid ... but they earned the privilege to wear the trident.