• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paths to Naval Special Warfare (SEAL)

navy09

None
To the OP, the odds are very much against you if you go this route. It is very easy to be a "middle of the road" SWO junior officer. Breaking out to the point of getting a BUD/s spot is quite rare.

In all fairness, it's very easy to be a middle of the road anything. There aren't a lot of SWOs (or Nukes/Pilots/NFOs) putting in for BUD/S slots. I'd be curious to see numbers of O's who sucessfully lat transfer to NSW/EOD.

I'm really just playing devil's advocate here; if you absolutely positively want to be a SEAL first and foremost, you should enlist.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
In all fairness, it's very easy to be a middle of the road anything. There aren't a lot of SWOs (or Nukes/Pilots/NFOs) putting in for BUD/S slots. I'd be curious to see numbers of O's who sucessfully lat transfer to NSW/EOD.

Well played, and absolutely correct.

Perhaps what I should have said is that being the #1 LTJG or LT is not always in your hands. You can kill yourself for a 3 year tour and then some douche that is the Skipper's pet slides into that spot. It happens. I would think that in order to get a BUD/s spot out of SWO you would need the #1 FITREP out of a pretty big pool, plus a write up from the Skipper that has something along the lines of, "This LT is only unable to walk on water because it keeps parting before he gets to it."

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
This has nothing to do with aviation, but this is the best forum i've seen about becoming a naval officer.
My goal is to become a navy seal officer. I'm a senior in college and I'm trying to lay out my options. I was told by a recruiter that BDCP does not cover special warfare applicants. I was also told i needed a calc based degree such as engineering or physics. I was told that 1 in 5 people applying for BDCP were accepted but only 1 in 30 college grads applying for OCS are accepted.

So far I have some up with some possible solutions.
1. Go into something like surface warfare and apply for seals.
2. Go into navy reserve and apply/switch to active duty.

Unfortunately that's all i've got right now. When I talked to the recruiter he breezed over something that sounded complicated and I don't really remember. Something along the lines of the only way to become a seal officer is to apply directly to ocs (no bdcp) and apply for seals once at ocs. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Another great source of knowledge is this web forum devoted to the Special Ops community. They should be able to help immensely. Just be advised that they can be a bit curmudgeonly.

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

Best of luck.

phrogpilot73

Ya no kidding, I read an old thread on there recently where you were trying to convince them that being a Navy pilot is a lot like being a SEAL. Good stuff.
Seriously? Good on him for trying, but I realize that I'm not man enough to be one of those guys.

navy09

None
Ya they're pretty tough motha's. Every time I see that discovery show about BUD/S I can't help imagine how it must suck about a hundred times worse than it looks in the tv box.

Tomodachi

pilot
I went to BUD/s class 272 in summer of 08. DOR'd after 4 weeks of training. No amount of PT can prepare you for this, though being in good shape helps. They break everyone down to where your body can barely function, then they see who really has the guts and heart to become a SEAL and push on.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya they're pretty tough motha's. Every time I see that discovery show about BUD/S I can't help imagine how it must suck about a hundred times worse than it looks in the tv box.

Then you run into one who says "BUD/S?" it wasn't that hard..." and you realize they aren't boasting.

Back to comment that started this mini-threadjack...being immersed in their world for past 8 years, I've found they highly respect knowledge/ability, physcial fitness and commitment to task. They have embraced aviators in their midst more than ever and would take more to be Air Liaison Officers, UAV Det OinCs and JTACs, etc. Interestingly, they accept aviators far more readily into their inner sanctum if they meet criteria above because they are used to having Comms, Intel, EOD, Dog Handlers, Seabees, etc. along for the ride and sometimes to the objective. If an aviator proves to be a worthy JTAC, they're going to part of the NSW Team on the front row whereas aviators leave all their supporting team back at the ranch (except some of the larger "tubes" like the P-3 series).

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Another great source of knowledge is this web forum devoted to the Special Ops community. They should be able to help immensely. Just be advised that they can be a bit curmudgeonly.

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

Best of luck.

Ya no kidding, I read an old thread on there recently where you were trying to convince them that being a Navy pilot is a lot like being a SEAL. Good stuff.

The one thing I remember about that site is that all of those folks seemed to have a very similar sense of humor; very dry, but often very goofy too.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Yeah, as I recall I was inquiring about the feasibility of having Special Warfare as a back-up and it was misconstrued as me saying "Naval Aviation=SEALs." I was not popular and they quickly educated me on the subject. I then realized that I'm not bad-ass enough to be a SEAL and quickly conceded my argument. But they are a font of knowledge, so if you're interested, I'd take a peek.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where do they pull the SEAL JTACs from? I'd always figured it was a VFA exclusive thing, but I heard rumors about an prowler instructor here who was able to swing it. I'm sure you need to be a stud first and foremost, but how do you go about getting involved?

magnetfreezer

Where do they pull the SEAL JTACs from? I'd always figured it was a VFA exclusive thing, but I heard rumors about an prowler instructor here who was able to swing it. I'm sure you need to be a stud first and foremost, but how do you go about getting involved?

Ask one of the Prowler instructors at 86. They should be able to tell you more.