• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paths to Naval Special Warfare (SEAL)

socaldude

my stats for seal billet

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of submitting my package for OCS, with my first choice being SEAL. From what I understand, competition for OCS seal slots is fierce. My recruiter told me the selection rate was 25% (although he also told me pilot selction rate was 7%!) I was therefore wondering if those in the know wouldn't mind evaluating my chances of being selected based on my stats:
------------------------------------
24 years old
Yale graduate, BA history, focus on us military history, 3.52 gpa. SAT score 1500

Studied french at the sorbonne (paris, FR) (1 year)
Studied arabic in cairo, egypt (7 months)
Fluent in french and arabic, proficient in spanish

Various high leadership positions on campus, oversaw activities for over 400 people

Eagle scout, 50 merit badges, BSA lifeguard, senior patrol leader, assistant scoutmaster (continued involvement)

Varsity football and basketball in high school. defensive first team all-league award in football

Basic EMT certified
NRA light rifle sharpshooter
PADI divemaster, nitrox and rebreather certified

PFT: push ups: 95, sit ups: 100, 1.5 mile run: 10:10
Height: 6'4
Weight: 200lbs

Letters of rec: retired marine sergeant, goldman sachs executive, white house foreign policy adviser
--------------------------------------------------------
I am particularly interested in how significant a factor my arabic skills will be in my selection. I know they have translators that go in with the operators, but I assume it would be even better for the operator himself to speak arabic. I am also concerned that I may be too tall, but I have heard of 6'6 seals, so I don't really know what to think. I have wanted to be a seal ever since I visited the base in coronado with my boy scout troop when i was 14.

Thanks for any input any of you may have as to my selection chances!

HOO YAH!

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
Some of my friends are in NROTC here and I would strongly urge you to focus on your run and swim time. From what I understand you need at least a sub 9 minute run and swim to be competitive. 20 + Pull ups are also very important.

BlkPny

pilot
One of the most important aspects of your application will be your scores on the SEAL-specific PST. Its not enough for an OCS applicant to pass it; you'll have to excel. FWIW, the SEAL wannabe in my kid's OCS class ran the 1.5 mile in 7:45. First time he ran the O-course (for fun), he broke one minute.

socaldude

purdue navy: thanks for the advice. i do need to work on my run time (although my pullups are solid). wish i had more time out of the office to exercise!

sarnav

Echo Eddie on SOCNET, though read all the stickies and search before posting. Also check out www.thesealquest.com, it is run by a former SEAL/current recruiter and it has POCs and current BUD/S guys so you can get the current info. The PST is huge but everyone who applies is smoking the test or they are just kidding themselves to start. You need to set yourself away form the pack (your language capabilities are a huge start) and get yourself some endorsements form AD SEALs, the senior the better. Good luck.

SN

sundevil

SoCalDude,

I had one SEAL guy in my OCS class this year. Your run time in the 1.5 mile is comparable to his, so I dont know about the 9 minute thing being neccesary. I remember him running it in around 10. Then there was this other kid who came in a couple months after me that was SpecWar that supposedly could only do 50 something pushups. I dont know how reliable that is or how he would have made it in. Possibly chalk it up to the OCS rumor mill. THe place is like high school when it comes to that. Regardless, I dont think your run should be a showstopper at all. Your resume looks pretty impressive to me.

socaldude

Thanks everyone for responding. I should do better on my run, that is sure.

As far as my height goes (6'4)...is that going to be a big problem? I talked to a seal when i was in high school and he told me I was too tall. But assuming I can cut the mustard wrt the PST?

Also I am wondering about how arabic translators are used in seal teams in Iraq, and whether or not any seal operators speak arabic...

Thanks!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Being 6'4" can make it more difficult simply due to the mechanics of weight, distance moving the weight, etc. If you're heavier, or have to move the weight further, you'll have to do more work than a shorter, squatter person. That said, endurance can be built up and with the proper mindset it's just another thing to do.

Arabic is definitely a language to know right now. I can't speak specifically for Seal teams but having a native language speaker would always be helpful, if not tactically sound, imho.

That's just speculation from my end. You might be better served searching/posting on the spec war sites listed. While I don't pretend to know the demographic on Airwarriors, you're probably going to get more speculation on here (this is an aviation site, after all)

I have a few friends that are Seals now and they are some pretty interesting dudes. For what it's worth, one guy is about 5'10", the other is 6'3". It's all in the head if you want to do it or not.

sundevil

SoCalDude,

Again, this guy (and I stress its just one guy) who was SpecWar in my OCS class was pretty darn tall. Not sure how tall but def in the 6'3'' to 6'5" range. My .02 cents

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Socaldude,

Best of luck to you. Your resume is definately impressive. I know one of the big things they focus on is the PRT scores. The SEAL guys from my class at OCS had extremely high PRT stats. One guy busted his ass for two years to finally get in. Granted, he didn't have the resume that you did, so he had to make up for it in the PRT. But he could could do pushups and pullups and run like no other (he could probably do several hundred pushups without breaking form and ran a high 7's in the mile and a half). Obviously you know what you'll have to go through at BUDS, so in preperation for that the PRT scores should come. If its what you really want, keep trying, eventually you'll get it!

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Socaldude:

Check out Crossfit.com. There is an absolute goldmine of information there. I've heard (hearsay only, so take it with a grain of salt) that the CrossFit workouts and CrossFit-style workouts are what the SEALs do now for PT. Read as much as you can in the FAQ and search the boards--there are tons of military guys on there, many of whom are SpecOps.