• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
BTW, FMRAM, you don't have a hair on your prior enlisted @ss if you don't come back to the Prowler community.

Brett

I was considering it... :)

I was really hoping to catch the tail end of the prowler wave and transition to shockers... (im going to keep using shocker untill it catches on :D)

Edited to change smileys

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
On balance, no. Prowler squadrons are manned for 7 pilots now and that may increase by one or two in a G squadron, but once the G model is online, expeditionary Prowler squadrons (3) will go away, so having 5-6 jets per squadron wont really result in more community pilots.

Brett

:eek:

Why are the expeditionary squadrons going away? Wont the airforce still need the navy for tatical electronic jamming or will they finally fill that mission themselves?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:eek:

Why are the expeditionary squadrons going away? Wont the airforce still need the navy for tatical electronic jamming or will they finally fill that mission themselves?

We've given them fair warning and they are supposed to be developing their own EA assets. As the transition plan stands right now, expeditionary goes away when Shocker is up and running.

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
We've given them fair warning and they are supposed to be developing their own EA assets. As the transition plan stands right now, expeditionary goes away when Shocker is up and running.

Brett

To continue the threadjack...

Why did the air force give up their EF-111 Ravens? An air force guy (therefore highly suspect in objectivity) told me it was better at EA than the Prowler but politics gave the nod to the navy/Marine Prowlers (see again objectivity).

I'm not an EA expert, so is there any truth to that?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Why did the air force give up their EF-111 Ravens? An air force guy (therefore highly suspect in objectivity) told me it was better at EA than the Prowler but politics gave the nod to the navy/Marine Prowlers (see again objectivity).

It was not politics, it was a JCS level decision (as part of Joint Warfighting Capability Assessment (JWCA) process) in early nineties that was looking at redundacy of roles/missions vis a vis platforms. They looked at EF-111 vs EA-6B anf Navy VQ vs USAF RC-135. The verdict was Prowler had more capability, not the other way around (USAF was also getting out of the F-111business so it was a pricey proposition any way). OSD accepted the JCS decison and made it reality in the following POM cycle via a Program Decision Memorandum (PDM). USAF put a supposedly poison pill in it though by demanding "Expeditionary" support of EA, which forced Navy to maintain a Prowler force of 104 Prowlers to meet warfighter commitments across the services.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The EF-111 had the exact same system and Pods as the Prowlers, so it sounds like BS to me. I don't know the specific reasoning behind it, but suspect it had lots to do with killing the F-111 and not wanting to financially and logistically support a legacy airframe.

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The EF-111 had the exact same system and Pods as the Prowlers, so it sounds like BS to me. I don't know the specific reasoning behind it, but suspect it had lots to do with killing the F-111 and not wanting to financially and logistically support a legacy airframe.

Brett

@Heyjoe......I can always count on you for solid beltway gouge that is broken down so that I can pretty well understand it. Thanks.

Brett, why was the EF-111 able to do all of that stuff with just 1 extra guy and not 3? Did they have a better cockpit setup or something?

MasterBates

Here is our grading system. Scores reset after each port.

Burddog Woody DJP JACK MASTER WHACKER
CENTER 2 1 0 1 2 3
MISTRAP 0 1 2 0 1 2
POWER 0 0 0 0 0 0
WIT 0 0 1 0 0 0
WTF 0 1 0 0 0 1

A "CENTER" is when the "CENTER" light illuminates when the RSD (Rapid Securing Device aka TRAP) locks up. It means you are centered ovet the RAST track slot.

MISTRAP. You did not get the probe in the hole, but on top of the RSD. Totally missing the RSD counts for 2. (RSD is a ~3x3' box)

POWER. LSO had to call power on approach. Worth 3-5 beers depending on LSO.

WIT. "Wheel In Trap" Self explanatory. Somebody will do it sometime, somewhere. Get pictures. Great for hail and farewells. 6 beer fine.

WTF. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Mistrapping on the wire, trying to fly while locked in the trap, not landing with MAX TENSION and other general boneheadedness not categorized elsewhere.