• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Anyone have any straight answers about the current state of the P-3 community? All sorts of rumors floating around about how terrible it is, etc, few flight hours to be had, RAG included. Would new P-3 guys recommend it for someone selecting soon?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Correct me if I'm wrong but the P-3 community is getting a brand new airplane right? Set to start construction in december?

Construction, maybe, but follow that with all sorts of testing and evaluations and corrections and suddenly one's speaking in terms of YEARS before this thing is operational.

-jai5w4

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
xmid said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the P-3 community is getting a brand new airplane right? Set to start construction in december?
Ok, I will correct you. You are wrong. The original question is the current status of the community. We do not have a new airplane yet, and it will not be a factor for any pilots in the pipeline until before 2013 (first squadron of P8s online).

NavyLonghorn

The thing about the P-3, is that all the good airplanes are in theater helping kill bad guys. So, things are though right now, especially at the RAG. In 7 days, I got one flight out, and some buddies got none.

However, on deployment, you will get your hours.

Also, the people are awsome.. having a crew will be awsome.. per diem rocks.. lifestyle rocks.

It just depends what you want.

Also, you get your wings faster then any pipeline :)

I just spoke with a friend a couple weeks ago coming off his first P-3 deployment. He had great things to say about mission, people, locals, etc. Sounded like he got a good deal of hours too. I know it's not specific, in-community gouge for you, but he sounded like he was enjoying his platform.

Best of luck to you.

-jai5w4

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
I was actually waiting for that. Do I need to sign any paper work officer?

gestapo.jpg

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
primary28 said:
Anyone have any straight answers about the current state of the P-3 community? All sorts of rumors floating around about how terrible it is, etc, few flight hours to be had, RAG included. Would new P-3 guys recommend it for someone selecting soon?
Fact: MPRA is getting "healthy" again. The pain that we went through as a community 2 years ago, sending so many planes to the bone yeards (wing donor program) and the other planes for repair, we are now on the recieving end with those planes back to the Fleet and are in an upward swing in aircraft availability.

The missions are still there, in fact, there are too many "customers" requesting MPRA services, and in effect, many training, exercises and missions need to be turned down or prioritized.

I would still recommend the community, in fact, for those that are long haul, you will come back to the community when the P8 is a reality for your DH tours.

As for hours, I don't think you will see the 1800 hours total after your first tour that guys prior to me were pulling down. But hands down, you will have more hours than the majority of the other communities.

And yes, per diem rocks...

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Speaking for the enlisted side of P-3's, I was an IFT for 6 years and I can't think of any better community to be in.
I'm currently in NSI with an NFO option once I get out of college and I definately want to go back if able. I really enjoyed the "family life" traveling with a crew, doing some pretty cool stuff, and the awesome sleep I got while flying.
Flight hours did decrease a little with HONA, but everyone I was with still got some quality flight time. (Also, with the decreased flight time, it gives the maintenance guys a little more time to fix gripes, giving you a better aircraft when you do go flying).

NavyLonghorn

Thats the other thing. You will find /alot/ of P-3 priors commings back to be pilots or NFO's. That should be a decent testimony.