• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
One other big pertinent question to the P-3 pipeline (for SNA's).... For those of us who think we might put it as our first choice, how many slots are getting filled these days for the guys finishing primary? If flight hours in the RAG are down, then are they taking fewer people? I know that it seems like most slots are turning into helo's - is it going to be a lot harder to get now?

I know that the first response to this post is going to be - if you would just finish first in your class, you would get to choose - but I would really like to know about the spread if the info is out there. Thanks....

NavyLonghorn

"if you would just finish first in your class, you would get to choose"

Not if their isnt a slot that week.

needs of the Navy, ohhhh yea.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the P-3 community is getting a brand new airplane right? Set to start construction in december?

jai5w4 said:
Construction, maybe, but follow that with all sorts of testing and evaluations and corrections and suddenly one's speaking in terms of YEARS before this thing is operational.

You guys need to learn the words of the trade....houses are "constructed", aircraft are "produced". The replacement for the P-3 mission set is the P-8A and possibility a maritime UAV. It will likely be 2013 or so before they are operationally ready.

mma_10.jpg

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Was there ever a P-4 through P-7 considered or tested? I know we talked about the numbering system before, but I'm not a P-3 guy so I figured there may have been earlier attempts to replace the Orion.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
Was there ever a P-4 through P-7 considered or tested? I know we talked about the numbering system before, but I'm not a P-3 guy so I figured there may have been earlier attempts to replace the Orion.

P-7 died with A-6F and all F-14D force in "peace dividend" draconian cuts following end of Cold War.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I'm just back from my first P-3 deployment, I loved it, ditto what everyone else said. Deployment locations are great (as long as you don't stay in 1 place too long), per diem is very good, the hours were a lot better than I was told to expect, and being on a crew has been one of the best experiences ever.
Having just got home and back to home cycle life, it's better than it was before we left- more hours, more airplanes.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Was there ever a P-4 through P-7 considered or tested? ...
From Martin:

P-5: Navy/Coastie P-5M Marlin ... last of the "big flying boats" in USN service. Got a ride in one @ 1966 @ Coronado.

P-6: P-6M .... Jets .... nice idea, not quite ready for prime time.

avmars_8.jpg
avcmast_1.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:

Beautiful to look at but seaplanes were falling out of fashion and usefulness and this was truly not ready for primetime in either case

Martin-SeaMaster2.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:

Neither was this one...

slide-bird15-seadart.jpg

But it first flew in 1953 and went supersonic in 1954; not too bad for an underpowered seaplane...

seadart1ol.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Thats the other thing. You will find /alot/ of P-3 priors commings back to be pilots or NFO's. That should be a decent testimony.
Not in my case, for the record. I enjoyed P-3s immensely as a crewman, but I'm glad I chose the jet community as a FO.

Brett