• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Outback Steakhouse on Veterans Day

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Damn...good for you, Hugh!!

What a reversal on the public's attitude re veterans in the last forty or so years, huh?

As a vet, I get a lot of exposure as a result of the volunteer work I do for my signature organization...all to very favorable public opinion.

Especially busy this time of year...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Drove by the Applebee's in Corpus Christi about 18:00, could not believe my eyes! Line wrapped around the entire building! A full band outside playing...had to of been at least a 2 to 3 hour wait! Is a free burger really worth it?! :eek: Did any AW's wait in that?! Wonder what Outback looked like...

A friend of mine drove by Applebees, noticed the line was out the door. We decided that the free food wasn't worth that sort of wait, especially considering the quality of Applebee's food anyway. We headed to Outback and were seated immediately.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
What a reversal on the public's attitude re veterans in the last forty or so years, huh?

Yesterday, I attended two, excellent Veteran's Day observances at the two middle schools in my town here in Texas. Ten years ago, the principal at one of the schools decided the kids of today don't understand the true meaning of Vet-Day. So he organized a special ceremony in the gym, attended by all the students, complete with honor guard, guest speaker (Viet Nam vet), band, individual recognition of each and every vet in attendance, and even a bagpiper playing "Amazing Grace." Now we have two middle schools and both host an observance, one providing brunch for the vets followed by the ceremony, the second providing a free, catered brisket lunch and a ceremony. Both still recognize each vet individually (name, service, years served). Multi-media presentations produced by the students highlighted the ceremonies. The bagpiper was there for the tenth straight year. The guest speaker for both was a retired Army 1st SGT who had served on the Presidential Honor Guard under Reagan and Bush 1. The students in attendance were quiet, respectful and many showed their appreciation by coming up afterwards and individually thanking many of us. This just shows what strong leadership in our schools can produce if they have a backbone and given the chance. It's great to live in Texas.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I went to Home Depot Yesterday and saved a few hundred bucks.....
buying appliances and flooring so I can rent my little hovel out.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
Yesterday, I attended two, excellent Veteran's Day observances at the two middle schools in my town here in Texas. Ten years ago, the principal at one of the schools decided the kids of today don't understand the true meaning of Vet-Day. So he organized a special ceremony in the gym, attended by all the students, complete with honor guard, guest speaker (Viet Nam vet), band, individual recognition of each and every vet in attendance, and even a bagpiper playing "Amazing Grace." Now we have two middle schools and both host an observance, one providing brunch for the vets followed by the ceremony, the second providing a free, catered brisket lunch and a ceremony. Both still recognize each vet individually (name, service, years served). Multi-media presentations produced by the students highlighted the ceremonies. The bagpiper was there for the tenth straight year. The guest speaker for both was a retired Army 1st SGT who had served on the Presidential Honor Guard under Reagan and Bush 1. The students in attendance were quiet, respectful and many showed their appreciation by coming up afterwards and individually thanking many of us. This just shows what strong leadership in our schools can produce if they have a backbone and given the chance. It's great to live in Texas.

When I was in the girl scouts, we used to prepare a dinner and serve it to local vets. I remember it being a day of reflection and a communal sharing of history and stories.

However, yesterday, I remember hearing people say to each other: "Happy Veteran's Day". I honestly don't know if Veteran's Day is supposed to be a "happy" day akin to Valentine's Day or Halloween.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Veterans Day

However, yesterday, I remember hearing people say to each other: "Happy Veteran's Day". I honestly don't know if Veteran's Day is supposed to be a "happy" day akin to Valentine's Day or Halloween.

Quags, IMO Veterans Day should be and is, a happy day for all Vets, active/reserve miltary & citizens of our country!:)
Some may disagrree; however, we should remember all of our fallen/departed every day, but especially on Memorial Day.
The hundreds of Vets I met and exchanged greetings with yesterday at Applebees & 2 VFW Posts all started with "Happy Veterans Day"!:D
BzB

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I had duty, and had to do a test flight...

But each time I checked in with Approach and Center (as there wasn't a ton of traffic in the area at the time) I would say "Center, Happy Veterans Day, Coast Guard 1718, Level 6 thousand." Got a few "Happy Veterans Day" back, as well.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
After growing up Orthodox Jewish (and I'm sure the Catholics can empathize), I like to celebrate remembrance days and holidays, not mourn them. Even in death, many of our veterans were extraordinary people who deserve celebration.

And to add to Herc's post, Veteran's day or not, if you fly into the Orlando Terminal Arrival Area and speak with Orlando approach/Orlando international with a Navy/CG/Marine/Military Callsign, they will take 30 seconds to express their thanks whilst tens of people are itching at the PTT to get a call in to get a clearance. It was a special flight for me.