• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Outback Steakhouse on Veterans Day

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
On our solo cross country in advanced three of my buddies and I went to Shady Grove restaurant in Austin, TX before we went back to the airport for the RTB. We were in uniform and they took 50% off our $100 check. We just gave the waitress the full price so she got one hell of a tip (she was hot, and yes all of us were hitting on her, what?). I don't know if we got the discount because we were in uniform or if they do it if you just have ID. Either way the food was good, the people were nice, and it's worth your money even if you have to pay full price.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes there were four jets with four solo SNAs involved. We were not the dumbasses who turned one dude's solo cross country into two dudes Admiral's mast.....

In my opinion it is fine to ask if a business offers a military discount, but the moment you get an attitude about them not offering one I think you are a total douche.

jtmedli

pilot
ahhhh reminds me of the 3 people you NEVER fvck with:

1) Server/Bartender
2) Barber
3) Yeoman/Personnelmen

If you had seen the things that I have seen that would say Server/Cook. Cooks are much more dangerous. We know the 'secrets'. :eek:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....my buddies and I went to ..... restaurant in ......before we went back to the airport for the RTB. We were in uniform .......We just gave the waitress the full price so she got one hell of a tip (she was hot, and yes all of us were hitting on her, what?). I don't know if we got the discount because we were in uniform or if they do it if you just have ID. Either way........ the people were nice, and it's worth your money even if you have to pay full price.

Two full T-39's with the TW-6 CSO flying one of them stop at Hooters in Chattanooga (?) on an out and in, we got some sort of a discount. Pretty standard stop IIRC for a pair of the L/L routes, do one going out and one coming back.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes there were four jets with four solo SNAs involved. We were not the dumbasses who turned one dude's solo cross country into two dudes Admiral's mast......

Story?

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Flash,
I wasn't going to answer, but decided it would be a good lesson for some of the young guys on here about what lines can't be crossed.
A solo student was on an overnight Air Nav cross-country, within driving distance of home base. One of his buddies from the squadron met him there - with his flilght gear - and jumped in the jet for the ride back to Kingsville. It was noticed that two people taxied in vice the one person scheduled and when asked, the first and most powerful instinct was to lie.
I was in the chain of ass-chewings that followed and eventually resulted in both officers not only attriting from flight training, but with administrative separation from the Navy.
I really think if they had immediately fessed up they might have at least been able to stay in the Navy.
They also have to "show cause" for why they shouldn't be forced to pay back the cost of their education. Not sure how that will turn out.
Long story short: you can have a lot of fun in Navy jets without coloring outside the lines. If you do color outside, don't compound it by lying.

Angels

Contributor
Drove by the Applebee's in Corpus Christi about 18:00, could not believe my eyes! Line wrapped around the entire building! A full band outside playing...had to of been at least a 2 to 3 hour wait! Is a free burger really worth it?! :eek: Did any AW's wait in that?! Wonder what Outback looked like...

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Yeah, I was going ask, anyone take advantage of the deals?

I didn't. I'm not an Applebee's regular, so I wasn't going to hurry over just for a free meal. Besides, I feel kind of silly pulling my ID out and saying "Where's my free food?" :D If I'm offered a good deal, yeah I'll take advantage of it, but I don't specifically go around looking to get discounts and freebies while waving my ID around. Now, if I get pulled over for speeding...well, my military ID is right in the front of my wallet while I take my sweet time trying to pull my license out. :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was driving by an Applebees around lunchtime, stomach growled so I said "why not?"

10 minute wait for a table. When I sat down, the waitress immediately asked me if I was a veteran. No need to ask, no need to show an ID. They asked everyone and took they at their word. They didn't charge me for my beer either even though they were supposed to. It was a good experience.

Yes I tipped like I was paying full price.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I know 3 guys that went to Applebee’s here in Waco. I don't know how many soldiers, airmen, and sailors are in the area, so I have no idea what the lines were like, I just stayed home and fired up the old grill to fix a couple steaks. :D I had invited them over to the casa but they wanted free Applebees. :confused:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Applebees...

Drove by the Applebee's in Corpus Christi about 18:00, could not believe my eyes! Line wrapped around the entire building! A full band outside playing...had to of been at least a 2 to 3 hour wait! Is a free burger really worth it?! :eek: Did any AW's wait in that?! Wonder what Outback looked like...

I didn't want to go to Applebees (fight the crowd...parking etc.), but my son & family insisted that they wanted to honor me & all the Vets, so I reluctantly went with them to the Mira Mesa Applebees in San Diego. What an experience!:D
We got there at 1030 for an 1100 opening, lo & behold they had opened the doors early, parked easily near the door & got a table for 6 right away.

1. The food & service were Great. The GM stopped at each table, shot the s**t and thanked us profusely for our service. Neat staff!

2. Every time a new person or group came in, a big cheer, exchanging thanks, high fives, clapping... absolutely UNREAL like a reunion of long-time buddies. By 1100, the place was jammed & the crowd was gathering outside.

3. There were Vets there from all eras from WWII to Iraqi Freedom + some active duty Sailors & Marines. Some wore cammys, berets, bits & pieces of uniforms, badges/medals etc. I wore one of my SH (Thailand made) flight suits, w/all my [earned] squadron/cruise patches (ala Tom Cruise in TG) and my VFW "pisscutter" w/mini-wings & mini-medals.

4. When we left, the waiting crowd wouldn't let us depart! The parking lot was like a big reunion, but with people who we had never before met. Talking, sharing stories, shaking hands, hugging etc. Like a tailgate party sans booze...spent at least another hour before leaving. :party_125

To sum up, an extraordinary experience for me, my son & family & the most enjoyable of the 35 Veterans Days since I retired. Thanks Son Patrick, fellow Vets & Applebees.:icon_mi_6
BzB