• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Outback Steakhouse on Veterans Day

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I'm happy to accept and am grateful for any dicount offered, but I would gladly pay double before I would ask one of the people we serve to give up a dime of their treasure for me. Anyone who does (especially a well-paid officer) should be ashamed.

So how do you define offered...a sign? They ask you?

Are you saying by asking if they have a military discount I am wrong?

The owner/manager already established their policy based on their willingness to take a marginal hit on the profit line on the off chance it increases sales. They already decided to "give up their treasure." Their policy could include lack of signage. Although I always wonder about that too. So they only support the military if they are asked? I don't get it unless their nobility causes them not to want to brag. OBTW, the employee that gives the discount gets paid the same. It was never their treasure in the first place.

If you feel a sense of shame getting the discount...fine. To each their own. If you choose not try to make your $40,000 retirement $44,000 that is up to you.

I am not ashamed for asking. The policy was set before I entered the establishment. 10% here and there will help make up for the losses I took/take in equity in my house every time I move and for the damage to my stuff the Navy refused to reimburse me for, etc.

If I misunderstood your post...my bad... but

Damn Cowboy!?!?! I know you ride horses but you should come down off the one your on. It is a little high:)

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Come on Boyd. Did I say I was ashamed in accepting a discount? I know you can read better than that. I started with "I'm happy to accept and am grateful for any dicount offered". All I'm saying is accepting a discount is fine. But too many folks seem to think we're entitled to one. If someone offers me a good meal or lumber at a decent price, I'm OK with paying in full.
And the view from a tall horse is way to pretty to give up, Brother. If you want, give me call and I'll saddle one up for ya.

Angels

Contributor
Though I don't feel that military members should get a discount everywhere they go, I do think it is a nice way for businesses to show their appreciation to the military for all you guys and gals do.
"The owner/manager already established their policy based on their willingness to take a marginal hit on the profit line on the off chance it increases sales." I'm guessing they don't even take a hit since the 10% military discount is often far less than weekly advertised sales and coupons (20 to 40% usually).

Bevo16

pilot
Places that offer military discounts don't take a hit on their bottom line. They make more because of it.

There are several shooting ranges here in Memphis. I go to the one that lets me shoot for half price. Before that, I went to the one that was free for military (until the owner died and they closed) and I bought a ton of their ammo and targets.

They might not be making as much as they would be on some other guy, but %50 of full price is a hell of a lot more than %100 of nothing.

When someone has a good deal, we tend to spread the word. That's why there is a "hot deals" forum on this site. It is OK for it to be good for them and good for us. I have no trouble with someone making a buck off the military. It's not like they are exploiting us or anything.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Lowes in CCTX has 10% off year round. Just flash your ID.

A quote from the Home Depot manager last year when I asked if they were going to continue the 10% off after Veteran's day like Lowes does..."No, we are done with the military." <-- No shit...exact quote. I drive past HD to Lowes every time now and I thank them every time for the 10%. Please do the same.

Wow, good to know. I have done my last shopping at Home Depot.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Also, taking a "hit" to their bottom line...consider this, what would happen to most eating establishments in the Corpus Christi area if NAS CC were to go tits up? Then take a look at their bottom line...

phrogpilot73

Lowe's and HD are also 10% off military at "participating locations." So, seek them out if you're really interested.
Lowes and Home Depot off Battlefield in Chesapeake both offer 10% off year round. Don't know about the other ones in the area.

A quote from the Home Depot manager last year when I asked if they were going to continue the 10% off after Veteran's day like Lowes does..."No, we are done with the military." <-- No shit...exact quote. I drive past HD to Lowes every time now and I thank them every time for the 10%. Please do the same.
Wow. Chalk up another reason for me preferring Lowes over Home Depot...

ryan1234

So how do you define offered...a sign? They ask you?

Are you saying by asking if they have a military discount I am wrong?

The owner/manager already established their policy based on their willingness to take a marginal hit on the profit line on the off chance it increases sales. They already decided to "give up their treasure." Their policy could include lack of signage. Although I always wonder about that too. So they only support the military if they are asked? I don't get it unless their nobility causes them not to want to brag. OBTW, the employee that gives the discount gets paid the same. It was never their treasure in the first place.

If you feel a sense of shame getting the discount...fine. To each their own. If you choose not try to make your $40,000 retirement $44,000 that is up to you.

I am not ashamed for asking. The policy was set before I entered the establishment. 10% here and there will help make up for the losses I took/take in equity in my house every time I move and for the damage to my stuff the Navy refused to reimburse me for, etc.

If I misunderstood your post...my bad... but

Damn Cowboy!?!?! I know you ride horses but you should come down off the one your on. It is a little high:)

I used to work at an Outback. The management never advertized a military discount, however if they were in uniform or the server or bartender caught a look at an I.D. card (and the servers knew exactly what they look like) when they went to pay - each server/bartender/manager would always give a 50% discount to them (yes 50%) off the whole check (including their family's food).... and 25% for law enforcement.

You all talk of how it's no sweat off their back to give a discount. Giving free beers is a HUGE liability, military or not, for the restaurant. Our management would even buy a round on top of the discount - depending on the circumstance.... they only thing the server/bartender would say is "thank you for your service"

There wasn't a feel good sign at the door..... the employees just knew the standing orders. No one wanted to increase business by patronizing anyone....everyone really appreciate those who served. Each restaurant is different depending on the particular owner.

And by the way... you are wrong about the employees getting paid the same (well pertaining to restaurants)..... no one tips based on the gross price... everyone tips off the discounted price... and this cuts your tips in half. Significant when you pay 3% of the total sale to the house regardless of the tip/discount and make $4.18/hr.

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
... no one tips based on the gross price... everyone tips off the discounted price... and this cuts your tips in half. Significant when you pay 3% of the total sale to the house regardless of the tip/discount and make $4.18/hr.

*wince* I always tip based on the pre-discount price. If we were to get only 50% of the service we expected, it would be a different story, of course, but if we're already saving a few (or more than a few) bucks, it's certainly no skin off my nose to tip properly.

ryan1234

*wince* I always tip based on the pre-discount price. If we were to get only 50% of the service we expected, it would be a different story, of course, but if we're already saving a few (or more than a few) bucks, it's certainly no skin off my nose to tip properly.

Thank you, and I think you're in the minority. I can honestly say that most servers in the Outback where I worked tried hard to provide really good service, despite the any tip trends - particularly to those willing to serve our Country. The closest military base would've been NAS Jax, and in all fairness we really didn't get that many military members, save but a certain number of retired, Reserve, and Guard that lived locally - and the passers through.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Significant when you pay 3% of the total sale to the house regardless of the tip/discount and make $4.18/hr.

Damn, lucky bastard. I got $2.3/hr and 8% of sales (unless it was cash, then the computer didn't know I got that :))

So bottom line - Tip on pre-discount, pre-tax cost and pay cash.

Otherwise watch "Waiting" for when they recognize you next time.

Angels

Contributor
I used to work at an Outback. The management never advertized a military discount, however if they were in uniform or the server or bartender caught a look at an I.D. card (and the servers knew exactly what they look like) when they went to pay - each server/bartender/manager would always give a 50% discount to them (yes 50%) off the whole check (including their family's food).... and 25% for law enforcement.

You all talk of how it's no sweat off their back to give a discount. Giving free beers is a HUGE liability, military or not, for the restaurant. Our management would even buy a round on top of the discount - depending on the circumstance.... they only thing the server/bartender would say is "thank you for your service"

There wasn't a feel good sign at the door..... the employees just knew the standing orders. No one wanted to increase business by patronizing anyone....everyone really appreciate those who served. Each restaurant is different depending on the particular owner.

And by the way... you are wrong about the employees getting paid the same (well pertaining to restaurants)..... no one tips based on the gross price... everyone tips off the discounted price... and this cuts your tips in half. Significant when you pay 3% of the total sale to the house regardless of the tip/discount and make $4.18/hr.
Wow, that's awesome that your Outback did that! I know that we would not tip less but actually more because you were going to spend that much anyway and I don't think it's really all about the buck but the underlying respect. I know if someone went above and beyond like that we would want to show our appreciation in the tip. :) Regarding the "25% for law enforcement" my first high school job was at a Subway and we would try to give the local cops free stuff (bag of chips, cookie..) and they would politely decline saying that they weren't allowed because it was considered a bribe. You guys didn't have a problem with that?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Anytime I've gotten a discount on a meal for any reason other than horrible wait service, I've always tipped AT LEAST 20% of the full price. No need to be a cheapskate, waiters have a job and bust their ass to make money. Besides, never fuck with the people who bring you your food.