• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Open carry - anybody do it?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a gun owner, far be it for me to say you "can't" or "shouldn't" do something with a firearm so long as it's safe AND legal. But it seems to me you'd get in far more trouble than it's worth. Walk into the supermarket like that and I bet within 7 minutes either a customer or employee will go "Ohmigod! That guy has a GUN!!!!!!!"

If it's a customer, an employee will soon follow and say "Ohmigod! That guy has a GUN!!!!!!!"

Authorities will be called. Then it's even money whether John Q. Cop will know off the top of his head the legality of open carry. If not, stand the heck by for serious troubles.

No thank you.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
In Virginia it's widely known that open-carry is legal. I've done it a few times, but I prefer concealed. You won't run into any trouble w/ the police, they know; although you're even money on getting your ID run.

I'd say, just do concealed. The point of a weapon is for self defense, not to show off. Besides, why advertise what you have, it takes away your ability to blend in if something does happen.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
LA TIMES said:
Nearby, Scott Thompson picked over the remains of a salad, his Springfield Armory XD-35 sitting snugly in his hip holster.

I'm not sure what an XD-35 is.... anyone?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So is this a good deterrent or just a way to annoy anti-gunners? Discuss...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-opencarry7-2008jun07,0,849912.story

I'd do it if it were allowed. Generally, I think it is a lot safer than concealed carry simply because it shows your intentions as good. If someone is hiding a gun, and you see a bulge, you don't know if he's a good guy or a bad guy. Plus it shows potential criminals that you are armed and could prevent situations which would require you to draw if you were concealed.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Regarding the anyone do it qustion... In New Mexico we have open carry (but not in Texas, its a shame really) and does not require a license, Concealed requires a license. I have my CHL (Texas licensed with reciprocity in NM) and from time to time Ill carry my HK USP 45 on a paddle holster. Usually I drape my shirt over the gun but depending on how I sit you can still see a great deal of it. So its not really open but its also not fully concealed.

Ive never had anyone get really freaked out about it, Ive noticed other people noticing my weapon but usually they lock their gaze for a moment and then go on with their life.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm all for it ... it's time we enjoyed our freedoms w/out the onus of ignorant, misinformed and agenda driven "opinion" weighing down on us.

Funny ... I was just talking about this very issue today w/ an acquaintance -- as the disgraceful, disgusting, incompetent mayor of Seattle is going to enact some sort of "new, common sense" law by executive fiat tomorrow -- details still unannounced -- which will put yet more restrictions on any type of firearm possession by law abiding citizens in the once great city of Seattle.

His executive diktat will be completely unconstitutional -- as Washington has a "bullet-proof" pre-emption law -- but I suppose that is really the end game now that the left-wingers control the State House & Governor's Mansion. Challenge/change/overturn the state pre-emption law ....

Anyway -- open carry -- we were musing over whether or not "open carry" (completely legal in Washington) should/should not be the fall-back position for the law abiding ... ??

Again ... it's either "legal", or it's not. It's either your "right" as a result, or it's not. We need to quit rolling over and backing down every time ignorance beats its noisy drum ...

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
I would think if a criminal sees your gun, if he's smart, he'll try and take you out first. Not only are you down but he's now got another weapon. I wouldn't carry openly.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I would think if a criminal sees your gun, if he's smart, he'll try and take you out first. Not only are you down but he's now got another weapon. I wouldn't carry openly.
So then -- you'd rather cower under your table while some criminal/crazy person guns down everyone around you??? I was in Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas 2 months prior to massacre there in 1991. I'd rather be armed and legal. I'd rather prevent a massacre than be involved in one.

Your argument is naive and is exactly how the anti's want you to think ...

You're either going to be the sheep, the wolf, or the sheep dog in this world.

Which are you??? :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So then -- you'd rather cower under your table while some criminal/crazy person guns down everyone around you??? I was in Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas 2 months prior to massacre there in 1991. I'd rather be armed and legal. I'd rather prevent a massacre than be involved in one.

Your argument is naive and is exactly how the anti's want you to think ...

You're either going to be the sheep, the wolf, or the sheep dog in this world.

Which are you??? :)

A4s, I think his point was he would not want to OPEN carry. The visible gun was the issue, not carrying itself.

Bevo16

pilot
The only thing keeping me from carrying every day is the fact that I have to go to base to work.

You have to have a permit to carry in Tennessee, but it's up to you to conceal it or wear it in the open. I cover it up, just for tactical advantage if I ever need to use it.

Lawman

None
I do it when Im out in the woods, hiking, etc unless Im on state/fed land that expressly forbids it. People for the most part seem ignorant of the fact that things with teeth live in the woods.

Situation like Katrina or Andrew where your neighborhood is without power for days at a time, you can bet your ass Ill be walking around with Iron strapped to my hip if not sitting on my porch with an AR and a sign that says "You loot, I shoot!"

There are places and times you could open carry and nobody would really bother you about it, but unfortunately the places your most likely to need it (IE not a bait shop on an old country road) are the places where you'll get the most hassle for doing it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s, I think his point was he would not want to OPEN carry. The visible gun was the issue, not carrying itself.
Yeah, I got that -- maybe I didn't express it very well -- but that's the same category of semi-hysterical wishful thinking that says things like:

... Legal concealed carry will turn our streets into free-fire zones ...

... Don't have a firearm in the house as you might get hurt w/ it ... or even worse -- it might "just go off" ...

... If you carry -- you'll be a target for a bad guy ... (note: criminals are cowards, as such they are deterred by the possibility of armed resistance to their schemes -- not enraged by it) ...

... Don't antagonize a bad guy and he'll leave you alone ...

These are all incorrect and losing propositions. :)

BigRed389

None
"Travis White, 19, who has ear and chin piercings, congratulated Brandon Trask, 21, on carrying openly for the first time that night. "Just wait until you get confronted by a cop," White said. "It'll make you feel brave."

Umm...I can't be the only one that thinks that's a really stupid way to think.