• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online Master's Degree Recommendations

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
The beauty of going to an actual class is the ability to network. Degrees get you only so far... the rest is who you know. I know some "professors" from the UofP... and let me say, the experiences are nothing like a live classroom. If you really think because a couple successful people got online degrees from the UofP, you'll be successful, too... you're fooling yourselves. Good Luck with that.

I think that as members of the military we somewhat have the network part covered. Not to say that it doesn't help to extend the network in a classroom environment, or whatever way possible, but the OP already has some sort of network. In the long run I don't think an online degree acquired by someone in the military will have as much of an impact with respect to networking.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're an officer first and a pilot second (I'm sure you've heard this before).

Your IR background will be more helpful the higher up you get and the more diverse billets you get. There's nothing wrong with getting an advanced degree in IR along the way, even as a pilot. If that's a field you love, go after it. Don't just get a degree because "it's what pilots get". Frankly, a Masters will not make you a better pilot.

Like this guy, for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._Fallon

Ok, granted, he's an NFO and Navy, not Marine. You won't find many Marine general officers with degrees outside military PME - the Corps isn't as good as the other services at sponsoring civilian degrees.

Just need to know where to look! Not only outside, but an Olmsted Scholar.

LTGEN Emo Gardner

4BCA781D3406C5088525680B000E431F.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Speaking of the GRE/GMAT, is it hard to find time to study for the exams during say flight school or a sea tour? It seems that if you were planning on going to grad school during your shore tour (which I hope to do, assuming I don't break my knee again at OCS) you would have to take exams during a sea tour to give yourself enough time to apply.

The GMAT is NOT HARD. I borrowed a friend's ARCO guide a week before and did well. Just review the basic trig and algebra formulae you've likely dumped. If you need a year to prep, you need to lay off the super glue.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
NPS On-line Masters Programs

Anybody have any experience with the Naval Post-Grad School's on-line Master's Degree Programs?

I'm looking at one of these 3:

Space Systems Operations
Systems Analysis
or
Computer Technology

I'm curious to hear anyone's feedback on how the courses translated to the on-line world (including the "how hard" anecdotes) and any and all postive/negative points.

thanks,

Sky-Pig

Neoflys1

I saw some posts about online degrees and I thought I would offer my opinion. I am about halfway done with my Masters in Aeronautical Science at Embry Riddle. I find it to be challenging enough. Yet, I am holding a 3.8. I was at a 4.0 but I got a B in Rotocraft operations. I really liked that class which I thought was ironic. Regardless, I really like what ERAU offers and I highly recommend this school to everyone interested in an advanced degree. I applied for pilot and I notated on my application that I was a masters in progress which I believe helped me get in. I start OCS in October 09. My point is not to talk about myself, but to make mention that ERAU is a highly reputable institution. They offer excellent technical and non-technical degrees. Believe me, you will like there programs. Thanks for reading.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Since I actually made DH, I wanted to start looking for a Masters. You never know if the war college thing will work out. Here are a couple of quetions:

1. Anyone used their JPME to knock some of their hours down towards their masters? The AF JPME recommends 15 hours or so through DANTES.
2. I'm looking for a "less writing the better" type program. I know there is some writing, but some programs require a whole lot of writing. I hate writing.
Any recommendations?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...but to make mention that ERAU is a highly reputable institution. They offer excellent technical and non-technical degrees. Believe me, you will like there programs. Thanks for reading.

My reply is three years late, but I agree with the above. ERAU is also very 'military friendly', having mini-campi on, or near military bases worldwide. Living in the Phoenix area, I attended various classes at Luke & Williams AFBs, and Sky Harbor Int'l Airport, receiving my MAS at the ERAU campus in Prescott, AZ in '89.

Warning: Quite a few ERAU 'haters' around, even a few I've seen on AW. Main gripe I've heard, too expensive for what you get...matter of opinion. Like most everything else, you get what you pay for!;)
BzB

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Warning: Quite a few ERAU 'haters' around, even a few I've seen on AW. Main gripe I've heard, too expensive for what you get...matter of opinion. Like most everything else, you get what you pay for!;)
BzB
That basically applies only to ERAU's aviation programs that include actual flying. It's a lot cheaper and easier to get your license at an FBO flight school. That and the general aviation degree is worthless for getting a job. Their management, aero engineering, etc. programs are a whole different story.

I have a management Masters's from ERAU I got through the base extension program. It was very painless.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I have a management Masters's from ERAU I got through the base extension program. It was very painless.

Yep, going to pile on. ERAU is/has been incredible.
-Flexible, available at every base and online.
-7 years to complete degree.
-Each class is only 9 weeks long.
-$500 out-of-pocket after TA per class.
-$435 scholarship for "future alumni" without applying.
-$500 "military learning" scholarship for maintaining 3.0 and taking 9 credits in a year without applying.

I am finishing my last class, just have to BS a research paper for another piece of parchment. Good luck.

Bottom line...

koolaiddrinker

"Strategic Planner" Hahahahahahaha
pilot
http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates#grad-masters
http://www.usnwc.edu/fleetseminar
http://www.usnwc.edu/Academics/College-of-Distance-Education/Graduate-Degree.aspx

Two options for the OP:

I got a Masters from Penn State online in 2006, when few brick and mortars were in the business. Even at that time I was impressed with the professor's ability to teach via distance, the software they used for lectures/chat and the flexibility of the program. Even if you don't go Penn State, those are considerations with an online program I didn't think about beforehand. It was good to have professors who would record lectures and not ding you for class participation if you weren't in the live chat, for example. And as previously mentioned, my diploma says "Penn State" not "Penn State online" (realizing giving current events that someone will feel the need to comment but I'm an online student, so not that invested in the football program).

Another option at Whidbey is to do the Fleet Seminar program from the NWC, which offers an option to complete the Masters by taking some electives. I just did the JPME part, but the masters only requires nine more credits, so it is probably doable in a few years and at low cost. (Read relatively easy)

exNavyOffRec

Gonzaga University has a few as well, and military friendly, I would post a link but I am fairly sure we are familiar with google.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was awarded my MAS from ERAU back in May. I ended taking all the classes online and it actually was pretty great. The academic rigor of the program was higher than I expected, but I managed a 4.0. Not bad for an undergrad BA in Criminal Justice (2.71 GPA) 14 years ago! I did get 9 credits for the AF JPME 1. Feel free to PM any questions!

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yeah - I have 4 kids and started the program when I was a DH. With time management (and not a lot of sleep) it can be done!

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Anyone ever check out the University of North Dakota? They are the only ABET accredited online engineering program out there, you have to do summer labs to finish but the majority is online. Interesting stuff.