• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online Master's Degree Recommendations

aukonak

I'm looking for some similar advice, less about the "where" and more about the what, however.

As of now I'm just waiting to get my chance to fly, and I love the idea of being a naval aviator. But I'm a little worried about my options after that. Being an airline pilot doesn't seem like it'll be my thing, or freight or any of those. What other careers are available to someone with that kind of specialized skill set?

Right now I have a degree in International Relations that I sunk waaayy too much money in, but I did enjoy studying abroad, learning languages, and the concepts the studies focused on. So I guess I'm kind of trying to have my cake and eat it too by hoping for something relevant to this after being an aviator. Either...

1) I fly, get a B.S. (or M.S. if applicable) in something to complement my flight experience I'll have had at that point.
2) I fly, get a Masters in something related to my BA, like security studies, etc.. (but then that seems like a total diversion and waste of the skills I'd have learned as an aviator)
3) I don't fly, focus on trying to go in as a ground contract and following a path more directly relevant to my original degree.

I know lots of people's careers are totally unrelated to their undergraduate degrees, but what if there's a genuine interest in the material involved? I'd love to find a Masters degree that complements both my anticipated aviation experience and my degree in IR. The only reason I've really doubted my decision to go to USMC OCS as an air contract is the question of what I would do once I hit field grade or decided to leave the service. I'm all about doing what one is passionate about instead of worrying about the end goal, but that doesn't mean I want to start an entirely different career after I've had my fill of flying (if that's even going to happen).

Besides aeronautical eng, what other non-business degrees are good for aviators?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
You're an officer first and a pilot second (I'm sure you've heard this before).

Your IR background will be more helpful the higher up you get and the more diverse billets you get. There's nothing wrong with getting an advanced degree in IR along the way, even as a pilot. If that's a field you love, go after it. Don't just get a degree because "it's what pilots get". Frankly, a Masters will not make you a better pilot.

Like this guy, for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._Fallon

Ok, granted, he's an NFO and Navy, not Marine. You won't find many Marine general officers with degrees outside military PME - the Corps isn't as good as the other services at sponsoring civilian degrees.

aukonak

You're an officer first and a pilot second (I'm sure you've heard this before).

Your IR background will be more helpful the higher up you get and the more diverse billets you get. There's nothing wrong with getting an advanced degree in IR along the way, even as a pilot. If that's a field you love, go after it. Don't just get a degree because "it's what pilots get". Frankly, a Masters will not make you a better pilot.

Ok, granted, he's an NFO and Navy, not Marine. You won't find many Marine general officers with degrees outside military PME - the Corps isn't as good as the other services at sponsoring civilian degrees.

Interesting read, thanks for that. I think my job-searching experience after graduating with my vague, liberal arts BA has led to a fear of being the jack of all trades/generalist in a job market that places such a high value on specialization. I'm wary of keeping that trend going at the cost of my career. That being said, your advice is sound and I'll keep it in mind.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Depending on where you are stationed, the base may have some good extension programs as well. I got my masters in business from Boston University at Camp Lejeune. I think I learned a lot more going in person. The online program was actually much more expensive.

If you're a pilot, don't get an aviation degree. "So, you're a pilot, huh? What else do you know about?"

"Aviation."

"Hmmm...well..."

Clux4

Banned

How about this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Petraeus . Army but.....
I think the options are there to use TA and fellowships opportunities, it depends on the individual than anything else.

phrogpilot73

You won't find many Marine general officers with degrees outside military PME - the Corps isn't as good as the other services at sponsoring civilian degrees.
That would be the Marine Corps isn't as good at sponsoring resident civilian programs. If you're willing to do the ass-pain of going at night/online and juggle it with your other duties - you can earn an advanced degree from a civilian institution thanks to TA and GI Bill...

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
How about this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Petraeus . Army but.....
I think the options are there to use TA and fellowships opportunities, it depends on the individual than anything else.

Your example actually argues against your point. I'd be surprised if a single Marine general has a PhD like Petraeus does (AW research challenge).

TA programs rely on people to take initiative. Fellowships need buy-in from the services, and the Marine Corps isn't quite as supportive as some others. I've been around awhile, and can only think of 3 people I know who've done them.

Clux4

Banned
Your example actually argues against your point. I'd be surprised if a single Marine general has a PhD like Petraeus does (AW research challenge).

TA programs rely on people to take initiative. Fellowships need buy-in from the services, and the Marine Corps isn't quite as supportive as some others. I've been around awhile, and can only think of 3 people I know who've done them.

I read his referrence of "Marine" to mean the average grunt officer!!

I saw couple double masters but no Ph.d. Like this man:
But here is one Lt.Gen Frances Wilson. President of the NDU

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I thought it was about the services' support of advanced degree programs.

The second link just took me to the list of ALL G.O.s.

Multiple masters degrees are to be expected--all resident PME ILS and above have such degrees available and most generals have gone to multiple such courses.

aukonak

I know personally I won't likely be looking for a PhD, just a masters (or two :icon_tong). I wasn't trying to argue against the use of an IR degree in the military, rather the use of pursuing one as an aviator and how it relates to opportunities later on in my career. Thanks for all the info though!

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for online master's degree programs that they or their friends had good experiences with?

Either a school, or a specific major or program.

I am looking at shore duty and hoping to knock this out while I have the time to potentially benefit me on the outside. I have been looking, but am having a difficult time seperating the wheat from the chaff.

Some conditions:
- no business degrees. Business is not an interest of mine. I can't get excited for it, or the associated money.
- no hard science - I am a history major
- I live in Oak Harbor, WA and cannot travel due to work
- cost is no object - I will either use TA or the GI Bill
- I am not an aviator, so doesn't need to be aviation specific

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
How much is the cost to you? If you are not paying, then get into the best school possible for the major you intend to study.

Who will be looking at these credentials later and what school will look best to them?

What is your index point average--your GRE/GMAT scores plus your undergrad GPA? This can eliminate some schools.

When I went to grad school a professor gave me the advice of opening as many doors as possible, then you can decide later which ones to close--so apply to all of the schools that seem like they might be right for you.

AJB37

Speaking of the GRE/GMAT, is it hard to find time to study for the exams during say flight school or a sea tour? It seems that if you were planning on going to grad school during your shore tour (which I hope to do, assuming I don't break my knee again at OCS) you would have to take exams during a sea tour to give yourself enough time to apply.

Clux4

Banned
Speaking of the GRE/GMAT, is it hard to find time to study for the exams during say flight school or a sea tour? It seems that if you were planning on going to grad school during your shore tour (which I hope to do, assuming I don't break my knee again at OCS) you would have to take exams during a sea tour to give yourself enough time to apply.
or
You could use your time on your 1 year IA assignment to study and take the GRE/GMAT when you come home or on R&R.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If and when I go for an online masters, it will 100% certainly be from a brick and mortar university that offers some of its programs online, like ERAU for instance.

There are a surprising number of top B&M universities that offer whatever degree you may want. They don't advertise it much because it diminishes the brand what with every other subway poster ad being for an online degree and such. They do however, recognize the niche of the busy professional desiring to further education without communting to the campus.

Google is your friend. That and just start checking the websites of top schools you would be proud to have a degree from and see what they have. You will probably be pleasantly surprised.

Not surprising at all. They were late to the market for second time. Their first asleep at the switch episode was not putting distance learning and displaced learning opportunities where people needed and wanted the education as they were caught up in old paradigm of people going to them (inside the ivy-covered brick and mortar).

Now, most reputable schools have reached out to where the market is (some still think it is a seller's market and make you go there instead). Latest iteration is the on-line degree craze, which simply takes distance learning to next step and hybrid education in which you do what makes sense on-line and go to a physical location for what is mo better there. There have never been so many options and the consumer benefits at last especially those who do not have freedom of schedule to attend a classic day/night/weekend school setup.

Of course, you need to consider whether you are simply looking for a check in the block or truly challenging learning experience or sheepskin on wall with bragging rights or what (ie affordable).