• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online Master's Degree Recommendations

smulet

The beauty of going to an actual class is the ability to network. Degrees get you only so far... the rest is who you know. I know some "professors" from the UofP... and let me say, the experiences are nothing like a live classroom. If you really think because a couple successful people got online degrees from the UofP, you'll be successful, too... you're fooling yourselves. Good Luck with that.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
If you really think because a couple successful people got online degrees from the UofP, you'll be successful, too... you're fooling yourselves. Good Luck with that.

What about typing in bold italics? Is that one of the seven habits of highly effective people?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
... the rest is who you know.

That's why I have "Facebook" :)

If you really think because a couple successful people got online degrees from the UofP, you'll be successful, too... you're fooling yourselves.
Good Luck with that.

Wow. Did you get rejected or something? Jeez, displaced anger-boy. I'm going to be successful, because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it...people like me. [AFTER a recount]

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The beauty of going to an actual class is the ability to network. Degrees get you only so far... the rest is who you know. I know some "professors" from the UofP... and let me say, the experiences are nothing like a live classroom. If you really think because a couple successful people got online degrees from the UofP, you'll be successful, too... you're fooling yourselves. Good Luck with that.

Gentleman, we've got another expert :eek:

smulet

Gentleman, we've got another expert :eek:
Hey, the question was asked and if you don't want to hear the answer because it hurts... sorry. I do have a Master's, have worked outside the military in a career, and have hired several people into a school... so maybe I thought my opinion might be of some value. Maybe what you guys want to hear is that an online degree is great... in that case, disregard my replies... just trying to provide a helpful opinion.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey, the question was asked and if you don't want to hear the answer because it hurts... sorry. I do have a Master's, have worked outside the military in a career, and have hired several people into a school... so maybe I thought my opinion might be of some value. Maybe what you guys want to hear is that an online degree is great... in that case, disregard my replies... just trying to provide a helpful opinion.

Hey smutlet, I could really care less about the subject, I have no bone in this fight. My comment was a sarcastic way to tone it down a bit. However, your resume doesn't impress me or others as it may you. Relax.....not an opinion but advice.

smulet

Hey smutlet, I could really care less about the subject, I have no bone in this fight. My comment was a sarcastic way to tone it down a bit. However, your resume doesn't impress me or others as it may you. Relax.....not an opinion but advice.

Not sure why you think I'm worked up... just trying to give an opinion in a matter I have a view on. Not trying to impress... just provide a point of view. No need to use sarcasm... but thanks... I'm much more calm now.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Not sure why you think I'm worked up... just trying to give an opinion in a matter I have a view on. Not trying to impress... just provide a point of view. No need to use sarcasm... but thanks... I'm much more calm now.

It's certainly difficult to read through the net. As long as you are calm, it's all good.

lmnop

The beauty of going to an actual class is the ability to network. Degrees get you only so far... the rest is who you know.

What I think you may be missing is the fact that the military, in many cases, provides a robust networking structure that negates the need to use a classroom for that purpose. Over the course of a career most of us will have had a significant amount of contact with a large cross section of people from both the government and private sectors. I haven't taken a single grad level class with any of the folks I've been in contact with regarding employment. My takeaway has been that none them really give a shit where my degree is from and are more interested in applicable experience and past performance.

smulet

What I think you may be missing is the fact that the military, in many cases, provides a robust networking structure that negates the need to use a classroom for that purpose. Over the course of a career most of us will have had a significant amount of contact with a large cross section of people from both the government and private sectors. I haven't taken a single grad level class with any of the folks I've been in contact with regarding employment. My takeaway has been that none them really give a shit where my degree is from and are more interested in applicable experience and past performance.

Point well made. Like you quoted... degrees get you so far, the rest is who you know.

smulet

What about typing in bold italics? Is that one of the seven habits of highly effective people?

Oops.. my Word defaults to italics and bold in 14 point font (I was putting it in spell check so I didn't look like an idiot - so much for that). Now everyone must think I was yelling my point in a French accent. I just meant to whisper it:eek:

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
When I was looking at getting a Masters, I pretty much convinced myself that on-line was the way to go as I couldn't afford the sabbatical from my civilian job nor could I afford the time demand of a set class schedule.

I looked into AMU for a Masters in Military History, but at the time (late 90s) it was nationally accredited but not regionally accredited. Seems backward, but regional accreditation is really the one that matters. I believe they are regionally accredited now.

Norwich University has a fantastic Masters in Military History on-line, but it costs a lot.

I started taking classes on line via Sam Houston State University www.shsu.edu through their Masters in Military History. I took three classes - one each semester, and I'll say they were the three most interactive courses I've ever had. One was on the Vietnam War, one was World War I, and one was on the history of Texas. The Vietnam course was taught by a Pulitzer Prize winner. Each class was taught by a professor who had written extensively on the subject. Each professor spent lots of time critiquing my book reviews, answering my questions, and engaging in conversations on and off topic.

I would have gladly continued with SHSU as the cost of tuition and textbooks was actually much less than the compensation through the Montgomery GI Bill for Reservists and what my civilian company paid for tuition assistance, but I had taken JPME I via the Naval War College seminar program, and the timing was perfect and I ended up getting a full Masters in Strategic Studies from NWC with the three electives from SHSU. Since I was (am) still in the Navy Reserve, the NWC degree was the better fit.

Regarding what it's worth financially, since I was working as a government contractor doing staff work for the DoD (specifically Joint Forces Command, Naval Warfare Development Center, and Fleet Forces Command), having JPME I and a Masters from the Naval War College enabled my company to bid me against more contracts we were pursuing which required that level of education and experience. For me, that directly translated to a $20k pay raise one year.

If you stay in the Navy, or in a military-focused career like gov't contractor, the name on the diploma matters less than the fact that you have the diploma. But, I am also aware that I will not be able to leverage the SHSU or NWC name for really big bucks like I would if I was a graduate of Wharton or Kellog Schools of Business, etc. However, considering the fact that I paid zero to get my Masters (other than four years of hard work, one class per semester), it has been a great return on my investment.

Quite frankly, you should consider doing this sooner than later. Cruise or IA deployment is a great opportunity to start as you really have much more free time on your hands than you are willing to admit. There never is a good time to do it, so you might as well suck it up and get started.

Clux4

Banned
Texas A&M and John's Hopkins have great programs. I think their names speak well.

Believe it or not, you can leverage your military experience well provided you know how to sell yourself. For the average Joe without the military backaground, the name of the school is everything. Good old boy network is everywhere.
Quick example: Military lawyers; they get more trial experience in a 4 year time period compared to some of their peers. Mind you, they might have attended a Tier 4 school prior to joining the Marine Corps. Assuming they get out after 4 years, they might be better off than their peers that spent alot of money going to UVA or Chicago.
I will not knock anyone for wanting to go to a well known school. People have different goals. If you can afford it, by all means.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
OH! I forgot two great points about ERAU.

*The $50.00 application fee will be waived for new students returning from a tour of duty in a combat zone.

*NO GRE!

My wife did UMUC (University of Maryland, University College) and had the "military rate," for a few of the classes she did. Most places I looked, however, didn't accept any discounts (including military rates) for MBA programs.

I looked into FAU because it's only 11K (not including TA/GI and FL resident). It looked great, but then I started at ERAU and am enjoying it.