• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online Master's Degree Recommendations

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I think online schools are gaining more prestige.

ERAU is accredited, and the degree is the same as you'd get in Daytona Beach. You are invited to walk the stage IN Daytona Beach when you graduate.

There's not anymore that needs to be discussed, in my mind, about the clout or "academic reward" of ERAU. It's awesome.

~D

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
ERAU is accredited, and the degree is the same as you'd get in Daytona Beach. You are invited to walk the stage IN Daytona Beach when you graduate.

There's not anymore that needs to be discussed, in my mind, about the clout or "academic reward" of ERAU. It's awesome.

~D

I was legitimizing the University of Phoenix. Take a look again, he got his MBA from an online institution vice brick and mortar.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I was legitimizing the University of Phoenix. Take a look again, he got his MBA from an online institution vice brick and mortar.

Oh, sorry, I was just piling on with ya :eek:. I've known 2 COs that have gotten the UofPhoenix degree. Downside is that it's EXPENSIVE as all get out.

It's so hard to inflect tone. Even with the smilies... ;)

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Logo-AMU.gif

American Military University seems tailor-made for your conditions. Founder served in Marine Corps and for someone interested in history, you'll love most of the subjects.

I'm starting my third class at AMU in February. I'm doing my MA in Intelligence Studies with a focus on Terrorism.

Classes have been great thus far.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I think online schools are gaining more prestige.

Tell this guy, who got his MBA from an online school that it isn't as prestigious. He also chooses who will or will not be a nuke. ;)

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=96

Show me someone outside the military who's that successful with a Phoenix Online degree and I'll buy it. The pedigree of your masters matters very little in the military, and the OP noted he wanted the degree to help him on the outside.

I'm working on my masters at AMU for the education, but I have no illusions as to whether it'll help me get a job if/when I get out.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I will definitely check out AMU and ERAU - I had seen them before, but wasn't sure that they were schools others would recommend.

AMU's Intelligence or Management programs look pretty good.

As far as the merits of getting an online degree - I am stationed in a place without brick and mortar schools (unless I drive to Seattle/Bellingham, which is too far for a regular commute). So, I figure this is better than doing nothing at all. I agree that state schools with online degrees are a huge benefit - the degrees don't say they were online-only.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
One that a few LT's I know are doing is the University of Maryland online program. I would definitely recommend finding the online component of a brick and mortar campus if it's the prestige you're concerned about.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Show me someone outside the military who's that successful with a Phoenix Online degree and I'll buy it. The pedigree of your masters matters very little in the military, and the OP noted he wanted the degree to help him on the outside.

I'm working on my masters at AMU for the education, but I have no illusions as to whether it'll help me get a job if/when I get out.

The Secretary of Transportation - Mary Peters got her bachelors from UoP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Peters_(politician)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Given that she's from Phoenix, I'm pretty sure she went to the B&M campus.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Given that she's from Phoenix, I'm pretty sure she went to the B&M campus.

There's no distinguishment between the online degree and B&M. In fact, the online program goes through the B&M "Headquarters." They don't even call it a "Campus"

...I have no illusions as to whether it'll help me get a job if/when I get out.

I sure as hell know that my Masters (online and seminar) will help...sorry to hear that you're not expecting the same.

To quote the almighty wiki: "Embry-Riddle Alumni include six astronauts, a former U.S. Congressman, and a former White House Fellow.[6] Approximately 25 percent of commercial airline pilots have graduated from Embry-Riddle.[39]"

I even left the links in there for ya.

GO EAGLES!
~Cicco

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Whether in or out of the military, unless your masters is from a top ten-type school then nobody will care where it is from or if you were online/at a desk (as long as it is accredited).

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
My personal take on the online degree it is that if you are motivated and driven, then you are going to succeed wherever you go to school.

The only time the name of the "issuing institution" matters is if your diploma says: Harvard, Yale, MIT, et al. And even then, these "names" only open the doors more than they would for other folks. That is, you still have to walk through the door and to prove yourself.

What I do find is that some kids do not clearly think about or plan their college education and where it will take them in the real world. This story, which was recently on 20/20, illustrates as such:

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Whether in or out of the military, unless your masters is from a top ten-type school then nobody will care where it is from or if you were online/at a desk (as long as it is accredited).

Hmmm...I'd disagree with that to. My MAS, with a specialization in Operations and Management HAS to hold some clout if I go for say...an Airport Operations or Airline Management exec. At least the professors (ERAU grads) that I've had (1 is chief operations of SFO, 1 is a 757 Captain).

Again, maybe I'm just puffing my chest, but I'd like to say that ERAU has the clout and practicality that I'd expect for the 2 years concurrent service and about $5000 that I'm investing in it.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Hmmm...I'd disagree with that to. My MAS, with a specialization in Operations and Management HAS to hold some clout if I go for say...an Airport Operations or Airline Management exec. At least the professors (ERAU grads) that I've had (1 is chief operations of SFO, 1 is a 757 Captain).

Again, maybe I'm just puffing my chest, but I'd like to say that ERAU has the clout and practicality that I'd expect for the 2 years concurrent service and about $5000 that I'm investing in it.

It will be the degree that has the clout: not where it came from or whether or not you actually had to put on pants and go to a class to get it. I imagine not many schools offer the degree you are getting so I don't think there is any competition from the Wharton/Harvard/etc crowd for the kind of jobs that you could apply your degree directly to.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I imagine not many schools offer the degree you are getting so I don't think there is any competition from the Wharton/Harvard/etc crowd for the kind of jobs that you could apply your degree directly to.

Good point. Didn't consider the job pool they'd be pulling from. +1 for gently putting me in my place :p