• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Recruiter Problems and the Pilot Board

subreservist

Awesome, Thank you @exNavyOffRec and @subreservist, I appreciate your time, and will follow up with the Marines tomorrow. Thanks again.

I checked the recruiting manual and, unlike ASTB, it does defer to the program authorization for gpa levels. The Aviation community doesn't actually establish one, so technically there's nothing on paper to prevent you from applying. You don't even need to put in for gpa waiver.

But realistically, you will not likely be selected. Being below a 2.5 is a no-go in most circumstances. They'd probably give you a DNR (do not return).

exNavyOffRec

I checked the recruiting manual and, unlike ASTB, it does defer to the program authorization for gpa levels. The Aviation community doesn't actually establish one, so technically there's nothing on paper to prevent you from applying. You don't even need to put in for gpa waiver.

But realistically, you will not likely be selected. Being below a 2.5 is a no-go in most circumstances. They'd probably give you a DNR (do not return).
good point on the DNR

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Awesome, Thank you @exNavyOffRec and @subreservist, I appreciate your time, and will follow up with the Marines tomorrow. Thanks again.

It's bad gouge to think that you'd be competitive for a USMC slot if you're not competitive for a Navy slot. Flight school isn't a tiered system where one service is better than the others and therefore tougher to get in. If you're competitive for one, you're competitive for the others.

subreservist

It's bad gouge to think that you'd be competitive for a USMC slot if you're not competitive for a Navy slot. Flight school isn't a tiered system where one service is better than the others and therefore tougher to get in. If you're competitive for one, you're competitive for the others.

Sound logic, but the services have differing selection criteria for similar programs. Seen quite a few Navy Pilot hopefuls not select but get picked up in the Airforce.

Now I don’t know if they actually finish flight school, but they at least get a shot.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Sound logic, but the services have differing selection criteria for similar programs. Seen quite a few Navy Pilot hopefuls not select but get picked up in the Airforce.

Now I don’t know if they actually finish flight school, but they at least get a shot.

I think that's more of a timing issue than anything else (slots available vs who they were up against when the board met).

The selection criteria is the same: be eligible to be an officer in said service, take a test (ASTB or AFOQT), be medically qualified, fill out application.

From there it's simply who looks better on paper.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I scrolled down without tagging the message to reply to, but if OP or the next guy mentioned a goal of test pilot...

For Navy TPS, you're gonna want a STEM degree, 3.0 GPA, and good grades in Calculus to even be looked at seriously. There are often applicants with MSes in engineering and 4.0 GPA (on top of their first tour accomplishments)

Not discouraging, just caging (setting expectations)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Is there another branch that I should look into?
Army aviation. They take an entirely different view of training pilots. If you want to eventually fly for the 160th (it isn’t a beginners job) then go warrant officer. Yes, there are commissioned officers in SOAR, but the selection rate is much better for WOs.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Army aviation. They take an entirely different view of training pilots. If you want to eventually fly for the 160th (it isn’t a beginners job) then go warrant officer. Yes, there are commissioned officers in SOAR, but the selection rate is much better for WOs.
As a side note, somewhere around 4-6 Army WOs go through Navy TPS every year, because the Army doesn't have a TPS. One of my instructors retired as a CWO5 and is now lead test pilot on the SB-1 Defiant.

Grapeape

I really appreciate you looking into this. So if I’m reading this correctly I the fact that I was an Olympic level Track cyclist doesn’t out weigh my GPA?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I really appreciate you looking into this. So if I’m reading this correctly I the fact that I was an Olympic level Track cyclist doesn’t out weigh my GPA?
No, not really. There are not many bicycles in naval aviation. The army might get a thrill out of it and even send you for a tour with Team Army cycling. If you are competitive for the Olympics they will encourage you to go but keep in mind, the service needs pilots, not olympians.

Reactions: Mos

Grapeape

No, not really. There are not many bicycles in naval aviation. The army might get a thrill out of it and even send you for a tour with Team Army cycling. If you are competitive for the Olympics they will encourage you to go but keep in mind, the service needs pilots, not olympians.

I was more in the mind set that is a bigger accomplishment than my low gpa. I thought that would help off set my packet and give me a better shot

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I was more in the mind set that is a bigger accomplishment than my low gpa. I thought that would help off set my packet and give me a better shot
To be fair to you, I went in a long time ago and all you are getting here is my opinion - and I feel it won't make much difference.. A few hands here are far better prepared to give realistic answers. But, here is one genuine fact. Back in my day it actually cost something like 50 cents in postage to apply to AOCS and today it is, I believe all online and thus, free! You have my negative view so here is my positive one...apply, the worst thing that will happen is that they will say "no thanks" and then you set a new goal.