• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Recruiter Problems and the Pilot Board

SlickAg

pilot
Dang, ANG is that much better, huh? I’ve heard AF UPT is super backed up, any idea how long it’s taking people to get to OTS after being hired?
It’s also a casual long term goal of mine to be an operational test pilot. Right, I know, closest alligator to the boat. But are there many opportunities for stuff like that in the Guard?
Go follow that Instagram account for a week.

There’s a reason why all of the services have a pilot shortage. And it’s not because they treat their people well.

Run far, far away from active duty.

Grapeape

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I took the ASTB last week and I scored 52 7/9/7, not the greatest but also not bad after looking at previous boards. I was an athlete at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs and have about 150 hours on my private pilot license.

Here's my problem. I received a call today from my recruiter stating that even though I received a BS with a 2.46 GPA (I know not great), That doesn't matter due to the fact that I failed classes and dropped classes from a different college prior to the school I transferred from.
With everything calculated it shows that I have a 1.74 GPA and 157 credit hours ( yes I made different decisions in college). How do I get around this? is there a waiver or anything that I can do?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Dang, ANG is that much better, huh? I’ve heard AF UPT is super backed up, any idea how long it’s taking people to get to OTS after being hired?
It’s also a casual long term goal of mine to be an operational test pilot. Right, I know, closest alligator to the boat. But are there many opportunities for stuff like that in the Guard?
All of those concerns (like timeline and being backed up) are trivial when you're a Guardsman. Start pledging units. Keep doing the CFI thing. If Conan the Barbarian were a military pilot- when asked, "Conan- what is best in life?" he would answer "To be a Guard Bro, to make per diem, and drink beer with my buddies as often as possible." (IE- what the IG account @SlickAg is trying to get you to follow is all about)

No test pilot billets in the ANG (there was ONE F-16 guy, 25 years ago at the Air Guard Test Center in Tuscon, but it did not work out in favor of the ANG, so probably never again) BUT there are test pilots who leave AD to go to the ANG, in droves.

SlickAg

pilot
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I took the ASTB last week and I scored 52 7/9/7, not the greatest but also not bad after looking at previous boards. I was an athlete at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs and have about 150 hours on my private pilot license.

Here's my problem. I received a call today from my recruiter stating that even though I received a BS with a 2.46 GPA (I know not great), That doesn't matter due to the fact that I failed classes and dropped classes from a different college prior to the school I transferred from.
With everything calculated it shows that I have a 1.74 GPA and 157 credit hours ( yes I made different decisions in college). How do I get around this? is there a waiver or anything that I can do?

Don’t join the Navy.

Stay in the mountains and find an ANG unit up there that’s hiring.

exNavyOffRec

The program authorization removed minimum GPA from the aviation PA several years ago, so technically you can apply, will you get selected, who knows, now the local NTAG could hold a field reject board and decline to forward your application, but that is more work for them. If your OR is saying you don't meet the minimum GPA have them look at the PA.

Grapeape

Don’t join the Navy.

Stay in the mountains and find an ANG unit up there that’s hiring.

What would the benefits be to the ANG? I also called around about a month ago and I found out that "there aren't any pilot for a while" according to the recruiter.

Grapeape

The program authorization removed minimum GPA from the aviation PA several years ago, so technically you can apply, will you get selected, who knows, now the local NTAG could hold a field reject board and decline to forward your application, but that is more work for them. If your OR is saying you don't meet the minimum GPA have them look at the PA.

What do you mean by "PA"?

SlickAg

pilot
What would the benefits be to the ANG? I also called around about a month ago and I found out that "there aren't any pilot for a while" according to the recruiter.
Advantage? You’re not trapped on active duty until you’re 41 or 42.

As far as your other questions, I don’t know the answer. Sounds like you’re too old for the Navy without a waiver. Do some research on the Air Force age limits and find some units that would seem desirable. Go rush them. Bring bottles. Be cool. Have funny stories ready to tell. They’ll be interested about your time at the Olympic Training Center. If they like you enough they’ll get you an age waiver.

Grapeape

PA = Program Authorization and no at 30 you don't need an age waiver. You just need to be commissioned by your 32nd birthday.

Thank you

So what should I do? My OR basically said, "here's the number and office for the Marines, go try them". So I'm assuming that he doesn't want to work with me anymore? should I try another recruiter? or give the Marines a call?

My goal is to fly anything that has an F/A, AH, or F designation. I've even entertained the idea of the 160th.

villo0692

Thank you

So what should I do? My OR basically said, "here's the number and office for the Marines, go try them". So I'm assuming that he doesn't want to work with me anymore? should I try another recruiter? or give the Marines a call?

My goal is to fly anything that has an F/A, AH, or F designation. I've even entertained the idea of the 160th.

here's the program authorization, it doesn't state a minimum GPA....I'd say talk to all of them, Marines, Guard.....see what works best for you

subreservist

The Officer Recruiting Manual may have a minimum gpa, even though the Aviation program doesn't specify. Your chance of selection aren't great with a gpa below 2.8 - and I think the manual may even say 2.0 is the absolute minimum to apply.

The is an over abundance of Pilot applications also, to the point that there are folks a few months back awaiting boards. Navy isn't hurting on Pilot accessions right now, which doesn't help your chances.

subreservist

In my area, they won't even put in an applicant below 2.5. If your cumulative is 1.74, doubt any Navy district would entertain it - recommend trying Marines.

Grapeape

The Officer Recruiting Manual may have a minimum gpa, even though the Aviation program doesn't specify. Your chance of selection aren't great with a gpa below 2.8 - and I think the manual may even say 2.0 is the absolute minimum to apply.

The is an over abundance of Pilot applications also, to the point that there are folks a few months back awaiting boards. Navy isn't hurting on Pilot accessions right now, which doesn't help your chances.

Is there another branch that I should look into?