• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Recruiter Problems and the Pilot Board

exNavyOffRec

In my area, they won't even put in an applicant below 2.5. If your cumulative is 1.74, doubt any Navy district would entertain it - recommend trying Marines.
I rarely worked with anyone less than a 3.0 just because the odds were very slim, I would be upfront on the what the stats were, if they chose to move forward and they met the PA were had to let them submit, the way around that is if the NRD/NTAG wanted to hold a field reject board, but no one ever did as it was easier to let them apply and the board say no.

I don't remember and can't find min GPA in the Officer cruitman, I am pretty sure that for education and age requirements the PA overrides the cruitman, of course that stats speak for themselves, odds of getting picked up with that low of a GPA are incredible slim if at all, I just wonder why they let him take the ASTB, and if they don't want to work with him due to his GPA just be honest with the guy tell him odds are slim and see what he says. My thing is it sounds like they have a CPO in the middle of ND that is an enlisted recruiter trying to play OR and doesn't know the rules enough to give this kid the straight scoop.

Grapeape

I rarely worked with anyone less than a 3.0 just because the odds were very slim, I would be upfront on the what the stats were, if they chose to move forward and they met the PA were had to let them submit, the way around that is if the NRD/NTAG wanted to hold a field reject board, but no one ever did as it was easier to let them apply and the board say no.

I don't remember and can't find min GPA in the Officer cruitman, I am pretty sure that for education and age requirements the PA overrides the cruitman, of course that stats speak for themselves, odds of getting picked up with that low of a GPA are incredible slim if at all, I just wonder why they let him take the ASTB, and if they don't want to work with him due to his GPA just be honest with the guy tell him odds are slim and see what he says. My thing is it sounds like they have a CPO in the middle of ND that is an enlisted recruiter trying to play OR and doesn't know the rules enough to give this kid the straight scoop.

In my OR's defense, I was already set to take the ASTB before he had my transcripts. I started at 1 college and transferred to another.
The college I started at had a very low GPA.
The college I graduated/transferred to from I had a 2.46 GPA.

So where can I go from here?

subreservist

I don't remember and can't find min GPA in the Officer cruitman, I am pretty sure that for education and age requirements the PA overrides the cruitman, of course that stats speak for themselves, odds of getting picked up with that low of a GPA are incredible slim if at all, I just wonder why they let him take the ASTB, and if they don't want to work with him due to his GPA just be honest with the guy tell him odds are slim and see what he says.

Recently had a SEAL apply. Their PA doesn't require the ASTB/OAR, so never pushed any SEAL applicants to do it and was never called out on it on my previous SEAL applicants (each of them selected to SOAS without OAR). This year, was called out by NRC processor that its required and, of course, I pointed out the PA, but was schooled that ALL OCS applicants except a few (SEAL not one of them) requires a minimum of 35 per CRUITMAN unless the PA specifies differently.

At least got me into a portion of the manual I didn't know about and believe in the same section specifies the gpa minimum also (when not specified by PA) - I plan to check first thing tomorrow. It's definitely not something every processor knows about it or enforces.

exNavyOffRec

In my OR's defense, I was already set to take the ASTB before he had my transcripts. I started at 1 college and transferred to another.
The college I started at had a very low GPA.
The college I graduated/transferred to from I had a 2.46 GPA.

So where can I go from here?
like @subreservist said try the USMC, and it looks like he will look tomorrow in the cruitman, I didn't find it but that doesn't mean he won't, but even then if he doesn't want to work with you due to your GPA he could slow roll you in favor of candidates that have a better chance of selection, or the NTAG could do that too.

exNavyOffRec

Recently had a SEAL apply. Their PA doesn't require the ASTB/OAR, so never pushed any SEAL applicants to do it and was never called out on it on my previous SEAL applicants (each of them selected to SOAS without OAR). This year, was called out by NRC processor that its required and, of course, I pointed out the PA, but was schooled that ALL OCS applicants except a few (SEAL not one of them) requires a minimum of 35 per CRUITMAN unless the PA specifies differently.

At least got me into a portion of the manual I didn't know about and believe in the same section specifies the gpa minimum also (when not specified by PA) - I plan to check first thing tomorrow. It's definitely not something every processor knows about it or enforces.
I honestly don't remember if my SEAL candidates took the OAR or not, I want to say they did but each one was an academic genius so it was probably was that I wasn't concerned.

I ended up getting to know the officer cruitman quite well, which is why the NRD would have me review applications to save the processors time. It is amazing how if you know the cruitman that applications you submit tend to move through the process easily LOL.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I ended up getting to know the officer cruitman quite well, which is why the NRD would have me review applications to save the processors time. It is amazing how if you know the cruitman that applications you submit tend to move through the process easily LOL.

Probably like knowing DTS, or the PERSMAN, or various other deeply boring but useful topics. They can't f* you if you know why they can't f* you.......or maybe you just know to use their "preferred routing" the first time :)

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Dude, if you want to fly for the Navy, just keep trying. You've got the time to adjust course on your recruiter situation. ANG seems like real good living, but every organization has its issues/baggage. Do the research to see what's the best fit for you. You shouldn't be desperate to take whatever you can get at this point if you're 21 years old with good stats.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
My goal is to fly anything that has an F/A, AH, or F designation. I've even entertained the idea of the 160th.
It is good to at least sound humble when trying to get someone to agree to let you start applying for an aviation program. “Entertain[ing] the idea” of joining the most selective aviation unit in the country does not sound humble.

Grapeape

Dude, if you want to fly for the Navy, just keep trying. You've got the time to adjust course on your recruiter situation. ANG seems like real good living, but every organization has its issues/baggage. Do the research to see what's the best fit for you. You shouldn't be desperate to take whatever you can get at this point if you're 21 years old with good stats.

unfortunately
It is good to at least sound humble when trying to get someone to agree to let you start applying for an aviation program. “Entertain[ing] the idea” of joining the most selective aviation unit in the country does not sound humble.

Well said. You are correct, and maybe I came off a bit unappreciative. I would be honored to fly for any branch of the military in any way shape or form. I was mainly looking for opinions on what would be the best way to fly any attack or fighter.
Sorry if I came off a bit brash.

logs99

How many flight hours/month is typical for ANG fighters? What about AD Navy Fighters?
I also understand that AD Pilots have non-flying jobs too. How much of their time is doing those jobs vs flying?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
How many flight hours/month is typical for ANG fighters? What about AD Navy Fighters?
I also understand that AD Pilots have non-flying jobs too. How much of their time is doing those jobs vs flying?

The answer to your first question no one will be able to answer for you, as you're years away from that, and so much can change that any number given to you won't be relevant. Every service has mins that you have to fly to maintain currency. Part timers in the ANG still have to meet those mins. There are about 70-90days a year (give or take depending on a few things) that you'll spend at your unit flying or doing other stuff as a drilling status guardsman.

The other question has been answered about a million times around the board. The answer is a lot. Your FITREPS are based on your ground job performance, and not really on how well you fly. You'll have entire tours where you won't fly. That tour will probably be on a boat.