• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October/November SNA & SNFO Boards

FROG14

Naval Aviator
Apologies for all the offense I have caused. It was not my intent to screw anyone else here or elsewhere for that matter. I accept all the criticism being heaped on me here. I suppose it is deserved.

I was, and continue to be, very serious about this process. At the time I made that former statement, I was 97% sure, but not 100%... in the event that it was not going to pan out, I did not wish to remove this opportunity from my grasp. And to be honest, I did not know that my being pro-recd would take away from someone else. Perhaps that is just naivety on my part, but my assumption was that the Navy has a certain number of slots for each position and if one person selected or pro-recd turns out to be DQd or unqualified for some reason that they will turn around and select the next in line. Had I asked that question and known otherwise I would have made a different choice.

That just becomes an excuse at this point, but it was my thought process. In any event, I realize I was wrong to continue with my app being mostly sure it was not the path I was going to take. I will not ask for forgiveness, because I don't think I deserve it nor would I receive it. I guess I got the answer to my question though. Best of luck to the rest of you guys.

I just really want to know what other strong military opportunity you have??? Cause being an officer in any branch is a strong military opportunity.

Lore

We should work on your sense of humor, brother.
I just really want to know what other strong military opportunity you have??? Cause being an officer in any branch is a strong military opportunity.

Yes, as the post that Lancer brought up shows it is Air National Guard. I think the opportunity is pretty decent, all things considered. However, it is not as strong as being pro-recd Y for OCS. Just becoming an officer or serving in the military is not the only factor in my decision making.

HTR

pilot
Yes, as the post that Lancer brought up shows it is Air National Guard. I think the opportunity is pretty decent, all things considered. However, it is not as strong as being pro-recd Y for OCS. Just becoming an officer or serving in the military is not the only factor in my decision making.
So basically you are going to turn down an opportunity for a slot, and are going to apply for a very competitive ANG slot? Chances are good you will be without both.

Thanks for all the information and updates over the weeks regarding OCS, dates, background etc etc. One more question for those who have maybe been through the flight process or anyone that is familiar.... I have already had a Class 1 flight physical in may, which will still be good prior to entering OCS. Being selected for SNFO, will I need to do another flight physical or will it be more of a quick "once over" since the records will be up to date. (Flight physical completed at McGuire-Dix, NJ; processed through Navy Medical)

Thanks guys

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete

I will just throw in this bit of advice. It is better now that you decline then get to OCS and decide there. And as I am sure you have noticed, this was a bad place to ask that question. There is a great post on this forum about a person who got to OCS and was not 100% committed to earning a commission in the Navy. ( I just tried to find it, no luck.) Long story short, he realized once he was there that it wasn't really what he wanted. The instructors at OCS are going to do their best to weed out the people who don't really want to be there. In your current state of mind, it might not be best to proceed. You need to do some serious thinking about what it is you want. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sundevil106150

Wait because you are too much of a wimp to go through the gauntlet of training with a very small possibility of something happening to you, you are trying to go from a 97% to 100% guarantee. Bro for Christ sakes it is a 100% guarantee that you are in the Navy to begin with. I do not feel sorry for you one bit. I did my research, talked to numerous pilots, and then some before I truly committed to the application process. Hell I am fighting tooth and nail for a medical waiver for my thalassemia minor, and you are here saying you do not want to go the Navy route because it is essentially too hard and you are afraid of the possibilities of being dq'd for some random reason. So what, go the ANG route because you can't hang with the big boys and you know someone who can get you in ANG? There are multiple people on here and the facebook purgatory page heartbroken they did not get a spot this time around and you are here giving up your spot because of stupid reasons. You should be 100% committed to begin with! I was only 97% committed for the SEALs so I didn't even try to start the process with them for a spot and you are here already with a spot and wasting it. For Christ sakes did you event think twice when you were writing your moral essay to the Naval board, saying how much serving your country means to you, how the Navy is everything to you, etc. I feel like its the letter posted multiple times on this site where the Navy is compared to the Air Force. To be honest, I think you just want the easy life when you realized everything was coming full circle. Absolute disgrace. I want A-Type, get shit done, go through the grind, accomplish at all cost, don't give a shit where we live as long as we get to fly, type of guys around me; so all I can say is good riddance.

Also word of advice, look through the forums more. A guy on here who was a nuke was sent to OCS and he quit because he got an offer for a research program, school paid for (masters), and a ton of money for research. He came back on here trying to ask if he could re-apply for nuke and got grilled because he committed to something and quit for selfish reasons. I do not know which is worse, that or you; especially now you posting that right after this October board.

Chris_Clark

Advanced E2/C2
Contributor
I'm curious to know what your motivational statement looked like if there is more to your decision than just being an officer. If thats the case though I would probavly stick to the civilian world.

Lore

We should work on your sense of humor, brother.
I will just throw in this bit of advice. It is better now that you decline then get to OCS and decide there. And as I am sure you have noticed, this was a bad place to ask that question.

Oh, I have already decided by this point and am no longer on the fence. I would never consider accepting the commission and going to OCS without being utterly committed to finishing and actually being commissioned. No way. By this point my decision has been made. Now I only wish that I could have come to that sooner and prevented all this and whatever harm I may have caused someone else in line. I cannot express that enough.

Wait because you are too much of a wimp to go through the gauntlet of training with a very small possibility of something happening to you, you are trying to go from a 97% to 100% guarantee. Bro for Christ sakes it is a 100% guarantee that you are in the Navy to begin with. I do not feel sorry for you one bit. I did my research, talked to numerous pilots, and then some before I truly committed to the application process. Hell I am fighting tooth and nail for a medical waiver for my thalassemia minor, and you are here saying you do not want to go the Navy route because it is essentially too hard and you are afraid of the possibilities of being dq'd for some random reason. So what, go the ANG route because you can't hang with the big boys and you know someone who can get you in ANG? There are multiple people on here and the facebook purgatory page heartbroken they did not get a spot this time around and you are here giving up your spot because of stupid reasons. You should be 100% committed to begin with! I was only 97% committed for the SEALs so I didn't even try to start the process with them for a spot and you are here already with a spot and wasting it. For Christ sakes did you event think twice when you were writing your moral essay to the Naval board, saying how much serving your country means to you, how the Navy is everything to you, etc. I feel like its the letter posted multiple times on this site where the Navy is compared to the Air Force. To be honest, I think you just want the easy life when you realized everything was coming full circle. Absolute disgrace. I want A-Type, get shit done, go through the grind, accomplish at all cost, don't give a shit where we live as long as we get to fly, type of guys around me; so all I can say is good riddance.

Also word of advice, look through the forums more. A guy on here who was a nuke was sent to OCS and he quit because he got an offer for a research program, school paid for (masters), and a ton of money for research. He came back on here trying to ask if he could re-apply for nuke and got grilled because he committed to something and quit for selfish reasons. I do not know which is worse, that or you; especially now you posting that right after this October board.

You are misunderstanding my reasons; none of which are because I am concerned about guarantees, being DQd or difficulty of OCS. Not concerned about any of that. Risk is a part of life and I do not expect guarantees. If I wanted one, I would be insane to turn down the Navy and try for the Guard or anywhere else.

I was 100% committed to this when I began this process. I was ready, willing and with full intention; I still held on to that up until recently. It was over time and lengthy investigation and discussion that different paths to what I wanted became apparent and only of late that I realized which was the proper one for me and for my family. Again, shamefully late and for that I apologize to anyone who wants to hear it. Obviously this has already burned bridges. I am not stupid enough to think that I can decline what is offered to me and then come back expecting it again if my other plan doesn't work out. No. It is all or nothing at this point. It has been that all along, except that I made the decision to change targets mid-stream. Poor decision, but one that I cannot go back and change, much as I would like to.

I am confused as to what the Pro-Rec Y designation means at this stage. I have explained my situation to my OR processor and she was a bit taken aback to say the least, however, she went on to say that this does not mean I have been selected. She did not explain the demarcation between Pro-Rec and Selection, something I have not seen talked about here. Is pro-rec Y the greenlight for selection pending security clearance review? Therefore, is Pro-Rec Y essentially a de-facto you have been selected? Maybe that is just academic for me at this point but I am not clear on it.

KnightFlight

Dude you have a guaranteed Yes for a slot in arguably the best branch of the U.S. Military... I'd give one of my nuts away for that if it wouldn't disqualify me for service. Hopefully you get in to the ANG because I doubt you'll have a second chance for Navy. Enjoy the 5000ft middle of the desert runways! ;)
I didn't get selected for SNA and I did not have SNFO on my application because I know my dream is to be an aviator. I wouldn't want to take the opportunity away from someone who dreams to be an SNFO by getting selected and bailing to try for SNA again.
But either way if you get the chance to serve our country good luck and I support you. That being said, any not selected SNFO folks are likely feeling a little more hostel than myself :rolleyes:

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Didn't see this til now but holy shit that's awesome @varlogkern! It only makes senses though, if they are going to give you a Pro Rec Y then they should be able to get you shipped out!

This is really good news for me too! I have WAY more time to burn than you did!

Good Luck!
Hey thanks! I'm really excited this is actually going to happen. I finally can give the nerves a rest....
Thanks @Popo Jijo and @rick_s as well.

mizzouzk

Fly big stuff
The monkey does raise a good question...Has anyone heard of people getting pro-rec and then non-select? Clearly med dq or the navy finds out your a terrorist...

Tobeyje

Oh, I have already decided by this point and am no longer on the fence. I would never consider accepting the commission and going to OCS without being utterly committed to finishing and actually being commissioned. No way. By this point my decision has been made. Now I only wish that I could have come to that sooner and prevented all this and whatever harm I may have caused someone else in line. I cannot express that enough.

You are misunderstanding my reasons; none of which are because I am concerned about guarantees, being DQd or difficulty of OCS. Not concerned about any of that. Risk is a part of life and I do not expect guarantees. If I wanted one, I would be insane to turn down the Navy and try for the Guard or anywhere else.

I was 100% committed to this when I began this process. I was ready, willing and with full intention; I still held on to that up until recently. It was over time and lengthy investigation and discussion that different paths to what I wanted became apparent and only of late that I realized which was the proper one for me and for my family. Again, shamefully late and for that I apologize to anyone who wants to hear it. Obviously this has already burned bridges. I am not stupid enough to think that I can decline what is offered to me and then come back expecting it again if my other plan doesn't work out. No. It is all or nothing at this point. It has been that all along, except that I made the decision to change targets mid-stream. Poor decision, but one that I cannot go back and change, much as I would like to.

I am confused as to what the Pro-Rec Y designation means at this stage. I have explained my situation to my OR processor and she was a bit taken aback to say the least, however, she went on to say that this does not mean I have been selected. She did not explain the demarcation between Pro-Rec and Selection, something I have not seen talked about here. Is pro-rec Y the greenlight for selection pending security clearance review? Therefore, is Pro-Rec Y essentially a de-facto you have been selected? Maybe that is just academic for me at this point but I am not clear on it.

None of us have time for your bullshit... Your comments are too long. Take the slot and FUCKING WIN or leave.

KnightFlight

The monkey does raise a good question...Has anyone heard of people getting pro-rec and then non-select? Clearly med dq or the navy finds out your a terrorist...
Yes I've heard of it. Nothing is official until you get you FINSEL with your official OCS date. But PRO-REC YES is pretty much a 95% official yes. Don't screw up legally from now until FINSEL, and don't get injured. Hopefully you didn't lie about any prior medical or legal issues, if those are dug up you could still be pulled.