• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October/November SNA & SNFO Boards

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
I just wanted to get the ball rolling and start a board for October! I will be in for this board since my package missed the last board, and with low selection percentages from the last board, I can't say I'm sad my package missed it!

I wish all of you the best of luck!!

FROG14

Naval Aviator

hey man nice improvements on your score! Hopefully I don't have to re-take!

Thanks buddy! I studied the hell out of that thing. Had I had these scores in July I might be in by now.... :/

Your in the same position I was in. It seems like it all depends on selection rate, hopefully its high on the next one!

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
Hopefully my OR seems to be positive for SNA & SNFO, I remember I was a nervous wreck going into the test! I took form 5 of the old version, I haven't experienced the new one yet ( hopefully I won't), but I've been practicing and studying for the new one just in case.

If you don't mind how did you study in terms of the math section?

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
From what I understand( from what my recruiter told me) the low selection rate was due to it being the end of the year and the board had what slots were basically left. So hopefully since the new quotas are out we will have a better shot!

FROG14

Naval Aviator
Hopefully my OR seems to be positive for SNA & SNFO, I remember I was a nervous wreck going into the test! I took form 5 of the old version, I haven't experienced the new one yet ( hopefully I won't), but I've been practicing and studying for the new one just in case.

If you don't mind how did you study in terms of the math section?

I used both the Barron and Peterson military test study guides. If you're just looking for math you could probably get a math tutor book that has all the basic algebra geometry stuff in it. Do you know much about the new "adaptive" computer testing style?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I used both the Barron and Peterson military test study guides. If you're just looking for math you could probably get a math tutor book that has all the basic algebra geometry stuff in it. Do you know much about the new "adaptive" computer testing style?

From what I understand, the adaptive system either gives you an easier or harder question based on whether your previous answer was correct or incorrect. I do believe you can no longer skip questions, and because the system is adaptive, it can calculate your math score from fewer questions (i.e. you no longer necessarily need to complete the whole section).

FROG14

Naval Aviator
From what I understand, the adaptive system either gives you an easier or harder question based on whether your previous answer was correct or incorrect. I do believe you can no longer skip questions, and because the system is adaptive, it can calculate your math score from fewer questions (i.e. you no longer necessarily need to complete the whole section).

Yep! Questions get easier or harder. There's no set amount of questions, you can't go back and change your answers. There's a maximum time limit, but you may finish earlier if the computer stops the subtest early. One thing I would suggest is slow down and give accurate answers, don't go to fast and make stupid mistakes just to get through more questions. That strategy seemed to help me this last test.

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!

I have both those books, so I'll continue to study those just in case..... The word adaptive for some reason all of sudden intimidated me lol. I've been listening to ATC frequency from my flights to practice the listening portion.

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!

So you could literally have 30 questions or like 10?

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Hey all, may as well check in. Quick recap, I'm age critical, still waiting to find out if PM/NRC will let me be reconsidered for SNA (since I was rejected in June). If not picked up for SNA/SNFO I'm still going to try for SWO, we might be classed up for OCS, just with different designators. My kit is undergoing scrutiny with NRC processors so it hopefully with be off to the PM sometime next week. I'm still thinking a month lead time prior to board, so as long as the PM is happy with it for a week, prior to 01Sep14 I hopefully will be fine. The phrase "once more with feeling" is what is continually going through my head. I will say I didn't have to do a reconsideration letter, which I thought was odd, but according to reg if less than 6 months, it goes in the motivational statement block, if more it is a separate letter.

Regarding the old/new (APEX3(?)/APEX4) tests, I never took the old test, and I'm not really sure which form I took for my two attempts. My study material consisted of what you find on here, more specifically these two links:
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/astb-study-guide.40399/
http://www.airwarriors.com/communit...experience-dec-2013.41357/page-16#post-782871
I somehow found a way to completely screw up the spatial orientation stuff because I was a very nervous test taker the first time around. That was fixed the second time through (went from only getting four right, to only missing two I believe).

For Math prep there are sample questions on an official Navy website, as well as here (search for them) and I used Wolfram Alpha and Khan Academy to refresh myself of the algebra. Not having to do any kind of serious math since my calculus classes 5 years ago didn't help the situation...

That is correct about it being an adaptive test. So the phrase seems redundant, but it is important. "Work quickly but don't just guess" because you could end up with a harder one if you guess correctly. However, the ones that you never get to at all I can't remember how they are weighted.

@National OPO has posted that the next board will be NET 01Oct14 [Citation (not the plane)]. If anyone has any ASTB questions, I can try to help.

Last edited:

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
Hey all, may as well check in. Quick recap, I'm age critical, still waiting to find out if PM/NRC will let me be reconsidered for SNA (since I was rejected in June). If not picked up for SNA/SNFO I'm still going to try for SWO, we might be classed up for OCS, just with different designators. My kit is undergoing scrutiny with NRC processors so it hopefully with be off to the PM sometime next week. I'm still thinking a month lead time prior to board, so as long as the PM is happy with it for a week, prior to 01Sep14 I hopefully will be fine. The phrase "once more with feeling" is what is continually going through my head. I will say I didn't have to do a reconsideration letter, which I thought was odd, but according to reg if less than 6 months, it goes in the motivational statement block, if more it is a separate letter.

Regarding the old/new (APEX3(?)/APEX4) tests, I never took the old test, and I'm not really sure which form I took for my two attempts. My study material consisted of what you find on here, more specifically these two links:
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/astb-study-guide.40399/
http://www.airwarriors.com/communit...experience-dec-2013.41357/page-16#post-782871
I somehow found a way to completely screw up the spatial orientation stuff because I was a very nervous test taker the first time around. That was fixed the second time through (went from only getting four right, to only missing two I believe).

For Math prep there are sample questions on an official Navy website, as well as here (search for them) and I used Wolfram Alpha and Khan Academy to refresh myself of the algebra. Not having to do any kind of serious math since my calculus classes 5 years ago didn't help the situation...

That is correct about it being an adaptive test. So the phrase seems redundant, but it is important. "Work quickly but don't just guess" because you could end up with a harder one if you guess correctly. However, the ones that you never get to at all I can't remember how they are weighted.

@National OPO has posted that the next board will be NET 01Oct14 [Citation (not the plane)]. If anyone has any ASTB questions, I can try to help.[/quote

Welcome to the board and good luck, I have been watching and rooting for you! ( not to sound creepy) and thank youfor the advice, hopefully we all get picked up and there is no need to worry about re-testing!