• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October/November SNA & SNFO Boards

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Pro-Rec Y for SNFO. Deeply honored.

Perhaps this is a poor place to ask this question, but would anyone have advice on how to properly "politely decline" a commission should it be offered?

Do not misinterpret such an action as ingratitude or flippancy, because it certainly is not. There have been a number of factors in the past months, since my app was submitted, that are pushing this decision, including a strong opportunity for military service with another branch. The Navy was my number 1, but all things considered the number 2 may be more appropriate.
Apologies for all the offense I have caused. It was not my intent to screw anyone else here or elsewhere for that matter. I accept all the criticism being heaped on me here. I suppose it is deserved.
I was, and continue to be, very serious about this process. At the time I made that former statement, I was 97% sure, but not 100%... in the event that it was not going to pan out, I did not wish to remove this opportunity from my grasp. And to be honest, I did not know that my being pro-recd would take away from someone else. Perhaps that is just naivety on my part, but my assumption was that the Navy has a certain number of slots for each position and if one person selected or pro-recd turns out to be DQd or unqualified for some reason that they will turn around and select the next in line. Had I asked that question and known otherwise I would have made a different choice.
That just becomes an excuse at this point, but it was my thought process. In any event, I realize I was wrong to continue with my app being mostly sure it was not the path I was going to take. I will not ask for forgiveness, because I don't think I deserve it nor would I receive it. I guess I got the answer to my question though. Best of luck to the rest of you guys.
Oh, I have already decided by this point and am no longer on the fence. I would never consider accepting the commission and going to OCS without being utterly committed to finishing and actually being commissioned. No way. By this point my decision has been made. Now I only wish that I could have come to that sooner and prevented all this and whatever harm I may have caused someone else in line. I cannot express that enough.

You are misunderstanding my reasons; none of which are because I am concerned about guarantees, being DQd or difficulty of OCS. Not concerned about any of that. Risk is a part of life and I do not expect guarantees. If I wanted one, I would be insane to turn down the Navy and try for the Guard or anywhere else.

I was 100% committed to this when I began this process. I was ready, willing and with full intention; I still held on to that up until recently. It was over time and lengthy investigation and discussion that different paths to what I wanted became apparent and only of late that I realized which was the proper one for me and for my family. Again, shamefully late and for that I apologize to anyone who wants to hear it. Obviously this has already burned bridges. I am not stupid enough to think that I can decline what is offered to me and then come back expecting it again if my other plan doesn't work out. No. It is all or nothing at this point. It has been that all along, except that I made the decision to change targets mid-stream. Poor decision, but one that I cannot go back and change, much as I would like to.

I am confused as to what the Pro-Rec Y designation means at this stage. I have explained my situation to my OR processor and she was a bit taken aback to say the least, however, she went on to say that this does not mean I have been selected. She did not explain the demarcation between Pro-Rec and Selection, something I have not seen talked about here. Is pro-rec Y the greenlight for selection pending security clearance review? Therefore, is Pro-Rec Y essentially a de-facto you have been selected? Maybe that is just academic for me at this point but I am not clear on it.

I'm not mad that you changed you mind, I'm not mad that you wanted to apply to multiple branches, the part that infuriates me is your timing. People can and have fought through bad ORs, bad luck, and many other things all to get told no without any hope of reapplying. Had my paperwork been done correctly the first time, I would likely be at OCS right now. But instead I've had to fight tooth and nail to go to this board, be selected, and get everything done in time for OCS IN TWO WEEKS. Had I not been selected this time, poof, SNA would have pretty much been lost for good. When signing the paperwork to apply for a slot you are committing yourself to take it seriously. Not to mention the fact that you could have pulled your kit up until a few weeks ago, when the last board was in June.

But the worst part? This: "I did not know that my being pro-recd would take away from someone else."
You are on what basically equates to the Library of Congress for getting through this entire process. There are no alternate slots, you are either selected or you aren't. If you are not, the only thing you can do is reapply, IF YOU ARE ELIGABLE. How could you not know?!?

If there is a silver lining to all of this is that while you might have taken a designator away from someone, you freed up an OCS slot for someone else.

"I am confused as to what the Pro-Rec Y designation means at this stage. I have explained my situation to my OR processor and she was a bit taken aback to say the least, however, she went on to say that this does not mean I have been selected. "
I would imagine she was taken aback. To answer your question, the only thing it means is you have an interim recommendation for the designator.

So with all due respect, I don't really care why you chose to push forward with a kit, I just know that you just took a slot from someone who potentially wanted it more.

mb1685

I'm really curious about what Lore's "strong opportunity" is, considering I'm almost certain that you can't have active applications for different commissioning programs simultaneously. In other words, he definitely doesn't have an ANG slot right now, so his "strong opportunity" is actually bailing and going back to square one (application process), just with the Guard (an even more competitive route) this time?

varlogkern

I'm really curious about what Lore's "strong opportunity" is, considering I'm almost certain that you can't have active applications for different commissioning programs simultaneously. In other words, he definitely doesn't have an ANG slot right now, so his "strong opportunity" is actually bailing and going back to square one (application process), just with the Guard (an even more competitive route) this time?
An Air Force recruiter told me at one point in the past that they won't let you apply if you have an active kit with another branch. But I never looked into it further.

mb1685

An Air Force recruiter told me at one point in the past that they won't let you apply if you have an active kit with another branch. But I never looked into it further.

Yep, that's what I've heard too. So it sounds like it would be impossible for him to have gotten an ANG slot lined up while simultaneously applying to this OCS board, therefore I don't see what "strong opportunity" can exist. It seems he wants to bail on his already secured OCS slot just so he can apply for a (no way guaranteed) Guard slot.

Lore

We should work on your sense of humor, brother.
Guys, I am sorry. I truly F***ed up here and it was irresponsible of me. If I could do things differently I would.

It is better that I end my time here and leave the future of the Navy to gentleman better than myself. I am not trying to patronize, just being serious. I can sit here and try to defend my actions or my thoughts, but it doesn't really do anyone any good. Least of all myself. Thank you for whatever help you may have given in the past. I wish I could have contributed better than I have.

KnightFlight

Yep, that's what I've heard too. So it sounds like it would be impossible for him to have gotten an ANG slot lined up while simultaneously applying to this OCS board, therefore I don't see what "strong opportunity" can exist. It seems he wants to bail on his already secured OCS slot just so he can apply for a (no way guaranteed) Guard slot.
I'm almost positive recruiters lie about this to get you to stick with them. I spoken with multiple recruiters from USAF, USN & USMC and all have said something different. I have also read a few articles about people applying for multiple branches at once, getting selected for both, and picking which they wanted more. The major hiccup I've heard of is picking a designator at MEPS, but there seems to be a work around to this.

KnightFlight

Guys, I am sorry. I truly F***ed up here and it was irresponsible of me. If I could do things differently I would.

It is better that I end my time here and leave the future of the Navy to gentleman better than myself. I am not trying to patronize, just being serious. I can sit here and try to defend my actions or my thoughts, but it doesn't really do anyone any good. Least of all myself. Thank you for whatever help you may have given in the past. I wish I could have contributed better than I have.
"Respec" - Ali G

Andy Beezy

I'm not mad that you changed you mind, I'm not mad that you wanted to apply to multiple branches, the part that infuriates me is your timing. People can and have fought through bad ORs, bad luck, and many other things all to get told no without any hope of reapplying. Had my paperwork been done correctly the first time, I would likely be at OCS right now. But instead I've had to fight tooth and nail to go to this board, be selected, and get everything done in time for OCS IN TWO WEEKS. Had I not been selected this time, poof, SNA would have pretty much been lost for good. When signing the paperwork to apply for a slot you are committing yourself to take it seriously. Not to mention the fact that you could have pulled your kit up until a few weeks ago, when the last board was in June.

But the worst part? This: "I did not know that my being pro-recd would take away from someone else."
You are on what basically equates to the Library of Congress for getting through this entire process. There are no alternate slots, you are either selected or you aren't. If you are not, the only thing you can do is reapply, IF YOU ARE ELIGABLE. How could you not know?!?

If there is a silver lining to all of this is that while you might have taken a designator away from someone, you freed up an OCS slot for someone else.

"I am confused as to what the Pro-Rec Y designation means at this stage. I have explained my situation to my OR processor and she was a bit taken aback to say the least, however, she went on to say that this does not mean I have been selected. "
I would imagine she was taken aback. To answer your question, the only thing it means is you have an interim recommendation for the designator.

So with all due respect, I don't really care why you chose to push forward with a kit, I just know that you just took a slot from someone who potentially wanted it more.
The silver lining to this whole situation is that someone that was selected for alternate will now get a chance to fulfill their dreams. There are still alternates for NFO waiting to get this call. It sucks that they didn't get picked up originally, but I would love to geta call from a recruiter saying "you're in!"

varlogkern

The silver lining to this whole situation is that someone that was selected for alternate will now get a chance to fulfill their dreams. There are still alternates for NFO waiting to get this call. It sucks that they didn't get picked up originally, but I would love to geta call from a recruiter saying "you're in!"
Alternates? From where? Not OCS selection pool... STA-21 guys?

varlogkern

On my BOL page it lists that there are three options for selection status. An N, Y, or an A. The A standing for alternate. I could upload a picture of it.
No, I believe you that page exists, I've literally just never heard of an alternate candidate being an option. I just thought was you got the nod or not, that's it.

Andy Beezy

No, I believe you that page exists, I've literally just never heard of an alternate candidate being an option. I just thought was you got the nod or not, that's it.
I actually really don't know. I just saw that as an option. I know STA-21 did, so I figured this would as well. If there's not an alternate, then I guess it would start as a pretty situation Lore.