• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October/November SNA & SNFO Boards

KnightFlight

Been following the thread for a while now but the site wasn't accepting new registrations. Finally got in and wanted to join in on the thread.

My recruiter told me he sent my application up on Friday so now I've joined the rest of the team to wait. My ASTB scores are crap so I'm not expecting much this first time around. My recruiter told me to submit and retest if I don't get a Yes, but there is no point in retesting before I go through one round since I wont age out. I wish I would have known they changed the format before I tested. I was pretty shocked when I got into the testing room and started. But hey, maybe they want to pull a few less competitive scores in on this board... fingers crossed haha

Jules_W

Been following the thread for a while now but the site wasn't accepting new registrations. Finally got in and wanted to join in on the thread.

My recruiter told me he sent my application up on Friday so now I've joined the rest of the team to wait. My ASTB scores are crap so I'm not expecting much this first time around. My recruiter told me to submit and retest if I don't get a Yes, but there is no point in retesting before I go through one round since I wont age out. I wish I would have known they changed the format before I tested. I was pretty shocked when I got into the testing room and started. But hey, maybe they want to pull a few less competitive scores in on this board... fingers crossed haha

I agree, no point in retesting now if you'll get in with your current scores anyway. Just depends on how strong the rest of your packet is, since scores are definitely not all they're looking at. Stay positive & best of luck!!

Kevin Jenkins

pilot
Finally got the chance to register so I wanted to join the rest of you in this cruel game of waiting and over-thinking. My package is ready pending a summer class I took as a refresher/ gpa booster. Should be submitted Aug. 18th and awaiting boards which god help us meets on October 1st.

KnightFlight

I agree, no point in retesting now if you'll get in with your current scores anyway. Just depends on how strong the rest of your packet is, since scores are definitely not all they're looking at. Stay positive & best of luck!!

Thanks for the luck, I think I'll be needing it! And congrats on your Yes!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not an expert, but it seems like ASTB is #1 on the list. Great scores (8's+, 60+) seem to just about always get selected, barring something disqualifying like a felony, serious debt, etc., ~50, 6's and 7's seem to be about 50/50, and I assume it is around this score range that board members start to really take into consideration a lot of the other components of applications. However, you'd likely be much better off taking advice from some more senior members than myself, particularly BZB, Rufio, NavyOffRec, etc. I'm only a lowly applicant ;)
In my opinion, for an aviation slot you've nailed it pretty close for a "lowly applicant"; however, you failed to mention OAR & GPA. Both of these stats are also considered key for selection in both Aviation & Non-Aviation applications. Remember, time permitting, ASTB and/or OAR scores can be improved... but GPA is almost forever, like diamonds.;)
Although they say that ASTB is the #1 factor, I think it may be weighed a bit different for fleet applicants.platforms. It's definitely a plus to have a better score but I don't think it’s a show stopper if your scores aren't so high. I'm hoping for selection and my scores are probably minimum at best.
I agree that prior enlisteds would get slightly higher weight for aviation applicant, IF rated "Airdales". Same for Surface/SWO applicants, and others.:D

A_Longo88, I think you have a decent shot at SNFO IF your board comes out with a >50% selection rate. Good luck!:)
BzB

Kevin Jenkins

pilot
In my opinion, for an aviation slot you've nailed it pretty close for a "lowly applicant"; however, you failed to mention OAR & GPA. Both of these stats are also considered key for selection in both Aviation & Non-Aviation applications. Remember, time permitting, ASTB and/or OAR scores can be improved... but GPA is almost forever, like diamonds.;)

I agree that prior enlisteds would get slightly higher weight for aviation applicant, IF rated "Airdales". Same for Surface/SWO applicants, and others.:D

A_Longo88, I think you have a decent shot at SNFO IF your board comes out with a >50% selection rate. Good luck!:)
BzB

@BusyBee604 Would you say that an above average ASTB score can offset a below average GPA in the eyes of the selection board?

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Alright folks....question of the day: How much does the ASTB play into account for selection especially if you are currently active duty with a broad range of leadership experience? Just got to thinking and thought I would ask!
And... See other replies :p
My OPO called late last week and let me know my second kit was in. Only took a year after the first one lol, what a nightmare. Here's to hoping for a 100% selection rate dudes!

Also, I took the shotgun approach this time... Applied to the maximum 5 different designators. Anyone else in the same boat?
I only did three. I didn't want to put down more than I would genuinely take if a board picked me up for them, though I'm not saying you wouldn't take any of them. For some programs if they aren't in your first or second slot you generally aren't considered for it. I have been told several times SWO is one of those designators, hence the weird positioning of mine.

@BusyBee604 Would you say that an above average ASTB score can offset a below average GPA in the eyes of the selection board?
(Not who you were addressing, but....) Normally I looked at it, from a perspective of lower ASTB with a higher GPA to offset that. Which... Didn't seem to pan out. Three 8s on your scores if pretty positive, and I wouldn't worry too much about submitting a kit (if those were my stats) at least for the first time through.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not sure what (GPA overall/ major 2.7/ 3.1) means? If your overall GPA is 3.1, you're in good shape; if overall GPA is 2.7, your great ASTB/OAR may well overcome if the board has a decent selection %. GPA beginning with a 2 is an "eye-catcher" (but so are ASTBs >7/8s and OAR >60s...), soooo no guarantees!;)
untitled8.png
BzB

Kevin Jenkins

pilot
I am not sure what (GPA overall/ major 2.7/ 3.1) means? If your overall GPA is 3.1, you're in good shape; if overall GPA is 2.7, your great ASTB/OAR may well overcome if the board has a decent selection %. GPA beginning with a 2 is an "eye-catcher" (but so are ASTBs >7/8s and OAR >60s...), soooo no guarantees!;)
View attachment 13917
BzB
@BusyBee604 "No guarentees" should be the motto for this process.... But I've taken some classes in the past year to make up what I can, but the gpa will only move a small amount. My hopes are that the board sees me taking the initiative to make up for a less than desirable past grade. And I hope my astb shows my current and true potential.....a lot of hopes and dreams I guess. Thanks for your help!

Chris_Clark

Advanced E2/C2
Contributor
@BusyBee604 "No guarentees" should be the motto for this process.... But I've taken some classes in the past year to make up what I can, but the gpa will only move a small amount. My hopes are that the board sees me taking the initiative to make up for a less than desirable past grade. And I hope my astb shows my current and true potential.....a lot of hopes and dreams I guess. Thanks for your help!
I'm right there with you but the exact opposite. My GPA is decent, leadership experience, PPL etc.. but I have a "somewhat" low OAR. Hopefully we have decent selection rates and everything will be rainbows and unicorns.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
I think I'm going to bring this over here since I like it so much. It got lost amidst the pages of the June/July/August thread. (@varlogkern gets the credit for the first post. And if you have any more of this stuff, you feel free to post it!) :

Thanks for the mention. I love that video. Here is a link to the whole album that song is on. https://play.google.com/music/m/Bx6jacoqou3uiury6zimumdkit4
This is not making October come any faster lol... I love this video.
No Kidding!!

Another video that isn't specific to the USN or to military aviation, but just general aviation. Worth a watch.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Im totally addicted to the F-18 carrier landing game. I'm only having one problem; landing on the carrier is freakin hard. haha