• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October/November SNA & SNFO Boards

Lancerr1

On the ASTB, if you're not supposed to guess, what do you do when you come to a problem that you don't know? skip it?

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
On the ASTB, if you're not supposed to guess, what do you do when you come to a problem that you don't know? skip it?
No, do your best. If you can't figure it out, guess. The point is, avoid guessing just because you think you're taking too long. If you think you can ultimately figure it out, it's better to take the extra time and get that problem right. Don't skip an answerable question because you think it will take too long in an attempt to answer more questions. Quality over Quantity.

MikeMillerUK

Contributor
Guess I'll officially check in to this thread from the June/July/August thread. Package has been submitted and I have confirmation that it is "At PM." Just playing the waiting game. October can't come soon enough.

Lancerr1

It's crazy how I know I'm going to go from "Please don't hold a board early" in my mind to "Please hold it as soon as possible." right after I'm through with my ASTB retake and kit resubmission. This process itself is a mental game!

So what do you all think? A fresh set of goals for FY 15 means they could be more lenient with scores in the beginning to fill numbers early or less lenient to see how the new year pans out?

I'm hoping they'll want to fill numbers early to avoid uncertainty in the latter half of the year. But I guess they're only given a certain number of OCS slots per board, so we'll just have to see!

EDIT: Also, Thank you @MikeMillerUK! That's good news most definitely.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
It's crazy how I know I'm going to go from "Please don't hold a board early" in my mind to "Please hold it as soon as possible." right after I'm through with my ASTB retake and kit resubmission. This process itself is a mental game!

So what do you all think? A fresh set of goals for FY 15 means they could be more lenient with scores in the beginning to fill numbers early or less lenient to see how the new year pans out?

I'm hoping they'll want to fill numbers early to avoid uncertainty in the latter half of the year. But I guess they're only given a certain number of OCS slots per board, so we'll just have to see!
Personally I'm hoping for a selection percentage in the 55%ish range. May was 74%/78% SNA/SNFO, and this last board was 30%/34% (I think). The low selection rate wasn't a surprise to many people at my NRD since it was the last board of FY14. That said, it is pure speculation, who knows it could be 10%...

exNavyOffRec

EDIT: Also, Thank you @MikeMillerUK! That's good news most definitely.

They have been selecting for FY 15 for almost 6 months now, there are guys in OCS right now that are filling FY 15 spots.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I hear ya.... watch Shark Week.. That'll kill a week lol. It also motivates me to want to stay in the air!

Speaking of shark week. I watched a show last night that talked about the shark they call "Submarine", and an attack that occurred off of the coast of South Africa. They had footage of the shark attacking people in the water, picking them off. It seemed so crazy that it had to be somewhat fabricated. It was like "Jaws" in real life.

Personally I'm hoping for a selection percentage in the 55%ish range. May was 74%/78% SNA/SNFO, and this last board was 30%/34% (I think). The low selection rate wasn't a surprise to many people at my NRD since it was the last board of FY14. That said, it is pure speculation, who knows it could be 10%...

As a somebody who is currently enlisted in a rate that is going away (AWV), it is hard for me to fathom an opportunity for advancement/selection as high as 78%. Even 30% is high. I can only hope that whatever the selection rate is during this next board, the results include my name.

MikeMillerUK

Contributor
Speaking of shark week. I watched a show last night that talked about the shark they call "Submarine", and an attack that occurred off of the coast of South Africa. They had footage of the shark attacking people in the water, picking them off. It seemed so crazy that it had to be somewhat fabricated. It was like "Jaws" in real life.
Almost entirely fabricated, in fact. The basis of the story is rumors of a big shark off the coast of South Africa. That's it. And the rumors are of a shark far larger than anything that exists, larger than Jaws was in the movie even. These "mockumentaries" are getting old. I don't like them.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
They have been selecting for FY 15 for almost 6 months now, there are guys in OCS right now that are filling FY 15 spots.

This is what has me confused on why we are waiting until after OCT 1st to hold another board. The wait between the last 2 boards was very short and this one seems a lot longer. It may only be due to the fact that my package is actually waiting review that it seems longer though. haha

MikeMillerUK

Contributor
This is what has me confused on why we are waiting until after OCT 1st to hold another board. The wait between the last 2 boards was very short and this one seems a lot longer. It may only be due to the fact that my package is actually waiting review that it seems longer though. haha
I am not 100% confident in my answer, so take it with a grain of salt, but what I understood from NOPO's post a couple weeks ago about the board being held NET 1Oct14 was because several other designators which don't hold rolling boards (i.e., packages have to be submitted within a certain time period) are beginning their reviews and holding their boards around the end of September. This is putting pressure on recruiters to get applications sent in regarding those designators in order to make the deadline, as opposed to Pilot/NFO boards which could technically be held at any time. I could be way off here, but I though that's what he was getting at.

Chris_Clark

Advanced E2/C2
Contributor
Alright folks....question of the day: How much does the ASTB play into account for selection especially if you are currently active duty with a broad range of leadership experience? Just got to thinking and thought I would ask!

MikeMillerUK

Contributor
Alright folks....question of the day: How much does the ASTB play into account for selection especially if you are currently active duty with a broad range of leadership experience? Just got to thinking and thought I would ask!
Not an expert, but it seems like ASTB is #1 on the list. Great scores (8's+, 60+) seem to just about always get selected, barring something disqualifying like a felony, serious debt, etc., ~50, 6's and 7's seem to be about 50/50, and I assume it is around this score range that board members start to really take into consideration a lot of the other components of applications. However, you'd likely be much better off taking advice from some more senior members than myself, particularly BZB, Rufio, NavyOffRec, etc. I'm only a lowly applicant ;)

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None

Although they say that ASTB is the #1 factor, I think it may be weighed a bit different for fleet applicants. I've had a few fellow First classes here in Whidbey Island who had extensive records with sustained superior performance and only mediocre ASTB scores who were picked up this past year. These Sailors were also SOYs and SOQs and qualified in multiple platforms. It's definitely a plus to have a better score but I don't think it’s a show stopper if your scores aren't so high. I'm hoping for selection and my scores are probably minimum at best.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
My OPO called late last week and let me know my second kit was in. Only took a year after the first one lol, what a nightmare. Here's to hoping for a 100% selection rate dudes!

Also, I took the shotgun approach this time... Applied to the maximum 5 different designators. Anyone else in the same boat?