• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct or Nov 2017 Aviation Board

Carina

@Carina Wow!! Thank you for such a kind message and all the advice! I just might have to try doing it in two sittings! I can't retake it until the 24th so I won't be able to wait a week and half but I could definitely put a few days in between both parts! I can also improve on the compass part and the aviation / nautical info too! Did you happen to grasp a better understanding of the hands on part since you can't practice it?
The hands on part you are just better the second time around! Now that you know what the test is like, go through all the ASTB threats here and look and read everyone's experience! I went in there more confident knowing that no one can really track the airplane the entire time but you just want to be as close as you can and get SOME green. Someone even wrote about how the will trap the airplane when it went to a corner at the top or bottom, and just wait till it returned lol which actually helped me (they were better able to explain than I am, so I hope that makes sense). the emergency procedures, write everything. When they tell you to listen to one ear, slowly tilt your head towards that ear. Soooo much good stuff here. That is just a few of the things I read here in airwarriors that helped me.

Also if you need help with OAR stuff there is a prior service pilot who does free YouTube lessons where you can ask questions and he will help you solve. And the cool thing is you meet other people who want to improve their grades, that's how I met my friend who became my study buddy. She beat me she got a 60 7/8/7 first try but she is a mechanical engineer major, so she has that advantage over me lol.
His name is Kieno Thomas and I think it's 8pm every Friday night. He is a tutor and does charge private sessions but those free lessons are Legit! Helped me through A lot of the things I forgot in high school and he is a pilot so he is also good for some aviation stuff. I did personally take some private sessions because my work schedule is really hectic but u don't have to. I really really wanted that Pilot selection so I used all my resources

Last edited:

Carina

That's awesome! Hope his lesson is helpful. Yeah, I have been meaning to write an ASTB review/experience on the designated threat but I keep pushing it off. Especially to share the fact that the ASTB can be taken in two sittings, which I have yet to see someone share here. I found out because I asked and found out that the Navy gives all applicants who take the OAR only, 30 days to consider taking the aviation portion and seeing how they do. I guess its supposed to be for people who are indecisive, but hey! it is a good technique to use to your advantage!

And your recruiter may try to persuade you to take the full ASTB, just say "sorry not ready" LOL...or "Im not sure about aviation" yet HAHA.....but I am sure they will understand and help you out :)

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
@Jordan Childs Hey Jordon, here are a few links that I have bookmarked:

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/astb-study-guide.40399/page-7
https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/page-228
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=astb-aviation-nautical-inforfmation-test
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=astb-math-knowledge
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=astb-mechanical-comprehension-test
https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/page-260

I've also youtubed a few things concerning simple levers, mecahnical advantage and used khan academy to help me with math problems (age, work, distance, probabilities) as well. As a rule of thumb to myself, if I don't understand something I ponder about it for about ~15 minutes and if I still don't get it, research it. Google, Youtube, Khan Academy and my physics books have been a great resource so far. If you want some practice tests, go to this link and register... it'll give you a few tests that are timed but these tests should no way be a reflection of the actual ASTB:

http://nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODHubPage.aspx?sponsor=12894&HubPage=15150

And of course, practice tests from Barron's or whatever book may help you as well. I find these helpful when if I want to be in testing mode.

There's a lot of information you'll find so it's up to you on how to sort them out. Personally, I would just print and combine like-topics together and clip them to a binder and go over them. Have fun!

@Jordan Childs

There's a lot of information you'll find so it's up to you on how to sort them out. Personally, I would just print and combine like-topics together and clip them to a binder and go over them. Have fun!

I'm starting to believe this is the best site ever created hahah. I knew making an account would be helpful but people have gone out of their way (IMO) to provide helpful information and I REALLY appreciate it! I've got 3 weeks to prepare for round 2 and I'll be ready!

Safashton

I'm starting to believe this is the best site ever created hahah. I knew making an account would be helpful but people have gone out of their way (IMO) to provide helpful information and I REALLY appreciate it! I've got 3 weeks to prepare for round 2 and I'll be ready!

The material here is really helpful, but consumer beware that there are significant errors riddled throughout the gouges with incorrect answers or methods of problem solving which can detract from studying, especially for the Math section. I personally researched the type of questions that were asked on the ASTB using the gouge, then went to more reliable official sources to study from.

RedmundBrennan

Checking in, very new to the process.

Age 22,
Graduated this May with a 3.1 in International Relations (Poli Sci) and a minor in History,
Tested this week,
OAR: 56 ASTB: 7/8/8,
No prior military, 5 years civilian Federal service with the DOJ

Triumph4life

I unfortunately have to skip this board since I will be in the middle of transferring commands. Some of the ASTB scores that were selected in the previous board baffled me. My entire chain of command was pretty surprised when we read through the thread of those that where selected and those that were not. I have no doubt that @RUFiO181 and @NavyOffRec know what they are talking about and maybe the last board just wasn't my time.... I will keep trying though, but damn it if I don't feel like darts are thrown at a board sometimes. Best of luck to everyone applying in this board! I'll be creeping...

jjg

I unfortunately have to skip this board since I will be in the middle of transferring commands. Some of the ASTB scores that were selected in the previous board baffled me. My entire chain of command was pretty surprised when we read through the thread of those that where selected and those that were not. I have no doubt that @RUFiO181 and @NavyOffRec know what they are talking about and maybe the last board just wasn't my time.... I will keep trying though, but damn it if I don't feel like darts are thrown at a board sometimes. Best of luck to everyone applying in this board! I'll be creeping...
That's what I've been trying to say and is exactly how I feel. It's discouraging seeing people get selected with lower scores than you. Especially when everyone on this site harps on test scores and selection rates (I'm not trying to knock anyone with the lower scores, congrats to them, they deserve their selection).

But I now have to wait 6 months because I don't want to take another chance with a third attempt at the ASTB, seeing as how many people on this website get selected on not just the last board, but boards before that too, with scores similar/lower than mine.

And @NavyOffRec, thank you for giving a more insightful picture of what happens with the boards. I saw that this past board was pretty massive and could see something like that happening (not to me specifically).

Triumph4life

That's what I've been trying to say and is exactly how I feel. It's discouraging seeing people get selected with lower scores than you. Especially when everyone on this site harps on test scores and selection rates (I'm not trying to knock anyone with the lower scores, congrats to them, they deserve their selection).

But I now have to wait 6 months because I don't want to take another chance with a third attempt at the ASTB, seeing as how many people on this website get selected on not just the last board, but boards before that too, with scores similar/lower than mine.

And @NavyOffRec, thank you for giving a more insightful picture of what happens with the boards. I saw that this past board was pretty massive and could see something like that happening (not to me specifically).
Don't get discouraged.
I think if you look back at the January or April board, there was a guy who got picked up on his 7th look or something like that. It can be frustrating, believe me! But after the E7 results were released yesterday and only 4 people from my command of 400+ got selected and only 18 out of 180 eligible from my rate got selected.... I think my odds are still higher here.
I'm not sure how hard set you are on Navy, I'm assuming that you are civilian and the Air Force is also in a high demand situation for pilots. Don't restrict yourself if you have the options.

exNavyOffRec

I'm assuming that you are civilian and the Air Force is also in a high demand situation for pilots. Don't restrict yourself if you have the options.

They have a retention issue, not an accession issue, trying to get AD USAF pilot via OTS is not easy, unlike the USN that tries to do an even split, they favor USAFA, then AFROTC, and what is left goes to OTS.

Triumph4life

They have a retention issue, not an accession issue, trying to get AD USAF pilot via OTS is not easy, unlike the USN that tries to do an even split, they favor USAFA, then AFROTC, and what is left goes to OTS.
@jjg he knows better than me, so go with what he says! I was just going off the articles I have read about them struggling for pilots. Thanks for the correction!

jjg

@jjg he knows better than me, so go with what he says! I was just going off the articles I have read about them struggling for pilots. Thanks for the correction!
I appreciate the insight. I actually talked to a marine recruiter since my scores are high enough and I've already been to meps. My only issue is that it takes a certain type of person to be a "Marine", and I'm not sure if I fit into that mold.

menloe

Checking in! My recruiter said he will be sending my package (to whoever it goes to first) tomorrow for the 3 October board. Good luck everyone!!

Prior Enlisted (E-5) - 4 years active duty Air Force, almost 2 years in Air National Guard (still in)
1) SNA 2) NFO
OAR: 64
ASTB: 8/8/8
GPA: 3.1 B.S. in Biology, Minor in Chemistry from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (graduate in December)
LoR: O-5 (Commander in Air National Guard), Previous Manager

Chairman4Life

Contributor
This is exactly why myself and many other airmen finally gave up on the USAF boards all together. I've seen countless guys with near perfect AFOQT/PCSM scores get thrown in RPA positions due to the pilot/CSO positions being full of Academy and ROTC students. There is nothing more discouraging to the "average" applicants than seeing this happen time and time again. Sitting in an air conditioned box in the middle of the Nevada desert for 20+ years is not my cup of tea.