• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct or Nov 2017 Aviation Board

justheretocreep

Thank you for your response and your insight! Of course everyone and every board is different, but is there a somewhat specific # to shoot for? Like a 50,55,60 etc. & all 7's or 8's?

It's hard to really determine a number to shoot for, as each board is different. You're simply shooting to be competitive really, and I'm sure RUFiO181 will correct me but if you need some numbers to set a goal for try to aim for closer to 60 and 7's.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you for your response and your insight! Of course everyone and every board is different, but is there a somewhat specific # to shoot for? Like a 50,55,60 etc. & all 7's or 8's?

If I were you I would take a look at previous Aviation Board threads to see stats and who's getting picked up. Some even have an excel sheet which makes things much easier to see.

Megan Gilmore

RuggerChick

Based on what my recruiter says, the stats that correspond with a PRO- REC Y for SNA/NFO is as follows: OAR 55+ and AQR 6+ FOFAR 6+ POFAR 6+

These numbers are what he told to me shoot for as a minimum. Hope this helps! Taking the ASTB myself on the 14th. Been studying for about 3 months now! Good luck on the retake if you choose to do so!

Based on what my recruiter says, the stats that correspond with a PRO- REC Y for SNA/NFO is as follows: OAR 55+ and AQR 6+ FOFAR 6+ POFAR 6+

These numbers are what he told to me shoot for as a minimum. Hope this helps! Taking the ASTB myself on the 14th. Been studying for about 3 months now! Good luck on the retake if you choose to do so!

That's exactly what I'm shooting for, Megan. Thank you! And good luck to you as well! I'm sure you'll be well prepared after 3 months of preparation!

Last edited:

Megan Gilmore

RuggerChick
That's exactly what I'm shooting for, Megan. Thank you! And good luck to you as well! I'm sure you'll be well prepared after 3 months of preparation!

Not so sure, trying to teach myself physics (mechanical comprehension) and math/algebra from the ground up! Never took physics and only took minimal math in college. It has been a challenge, but nothing good ever comes easy so hopefully I'll do well enough. Need to submit my packet for this board as I am age critical. I turn 27 in June.

jjg

"Five years of recruiting experience" true. The ASTB is an indicator on one's potential as either a Student Pilot/NFO in flight school. If you score the bare minimums, like what your profile shows, it doesn't really help your cause demonstrating that you'll successfully complete Flight School. The Navy is investing a lot of $$$ and they want to make sure who they're taking can get through the pipeline.

You can throw as many LORs, volunteer experience, etc. etc. but in the end you need to demonstrate that you can complete flight school. The ASTB is the biggest indicator of that.
RUFiO, don't make me bring up my situation that you refuse to acknowledge for the 4th time.

jjg

I responded. Your ASTB scores were average and probably just missed the cutoff for selection.
I realize you can't answer why I wasn't selected but I don't like your answer. I'm only trying to be constructive by pointing out that people with straight 5s on the ASTB made the cutoff with those scores on the previous board. And someone got an SNA slot with the bare minimum scores, which I'm sure you saw.

exNavyOffRec

I realize you can't answer why I wasn't selected but I don't like your answer. I'm only trying to be constructive by pointing out that people with straight 5s on the ASTB made the cutoff with those scores on the previous board. And someone got an SNA slot with the bare minimum scores, which I'm sure you saw.

You can't compare last board to this board, there could have been more spots last time, or more people with lower scores last time.

Sometimes it just comes down to good luck or bad luck, I had a SWO years ago that had a 3.9 GPA was a rock star in all areas and was a N, the PM was mystified and asked one of the officers that sat the board and he was surprised they gave her a N as well, sometimes they go so fast they just over look someone.

Carina

How true is this? I'm confident I can improve my scores and I think I have solid LORs. But my GPA isn't going anywhere. Does volunteering factor in at all?
The good thing is you can improve that score! I went from a 48 4/4/5 to a 50 7/7/8....It took some work and anxiety but I did it. And I did it with a full time job where I can't just study during work (I work every minute except for lunch of course). Also with a very demanding toddler. So all my nights and weekends I dedicated to improving my score. I was upset OAR only went up 2 points but the portion that matters the most for aviation is what I improved the most. I went from not being able to apply for pilot at all to being very competitive (and getting my Pro Yes :).

You cant really "study" for the simulation but there are definitely some techniques (like the "Compass trick") that you can apply...Also almost all the questions that you find in the first 15 min of the Aviation portion are here in Air Warriors, and some flashcards you can Goggle. And I think those questions weight a lot on your grade. I studied like 200 flashcards with a friend and went through that portion pretty fast and with confidence. and it was simple things like parts and movements of a plane, WWII planes, history, gallons of fuel on a plane etc. the only thing is the pool of questions is big.

The way I tackled my test is I took it in two sittings! Did you know that was an option? Most recruiters will not tell you, but you can take OAR first and then have u to 30 days to take the rest of the test. So I studied for OAR only, took it and then took about a week and a half to memorize my aviation cards and practice my compass trick. Takes a little time, but time is on your side! You are only 22, tackle that test and then you wont have to worry as much. I do have some friends who got selected to NFO with 5's though, so you can apply with what you got if you want...its up to you in the end! A lot of people have amazing grades like 9's and 8's but have legal issued or something in the past that haunts them so don't worry about all of those grades you are going to see post here. Just give your package all you got!

Last edited:
@Carina Wow!! Thank you for such a kind message and all the advice! I just might have to try doing it in two sittings! I can't retake it until the 24th so I won't be able to wait a week and half but I could definitely put a few days in between both parts! I can also improve on the compass part and the aviation / nautical info too! Did you happen to grasp a better understanding of the hands on part since you can't practice it?