• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct or Nov 2017 Aviation Board

Redsox17

Quick question - Was an interview required for Pilot/NFO applicants in the past? I am starting to put together a package and the checklist my recruiter sent me doesn't have an interview requirement, but looking back in the forum it looks like many former applicants had interviews.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Quick question - Was an interview required for Pilot/NFO applicants in the past? I am starting to put together a package and the checklist my recruiter sent me doesn't have an interview requirement, but looking back in the forum it looks like many former applicants had interviews.

Active duty applicants need an interview for their application. Civilian, as in those working with a recruiter don't. Some civilian applicants will seek out senior Pilots/NFOs to do an interview, but it's not required and more times than not even looked at in your application.

Focus on the ASTB, that's the biggest indicator.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
Active duty applicants need an interview for their application. Civilian, as in those working with a recruiter don't. Some civilian applicants will seek out senior Pilots/NFOs to do an interview, but it's not required and more times than not even looked at in your application.

Thanks for clarifying! I was going to ask my recruiter tomorrow about that.

jjg

I can't help but feel that they do look at everything else. I was denied both pilot and NFO but saw a couple of people picked up pilot with scores similar to mine and multiple NFOs with scores lower than mine. Most of them were prior service too.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I can't help but feel that they do look at everything else. I was denied both pilot and NFO but saw a couple of people picked up pilot with scores similar to mine and multiple NFOs with scores lower than mine. Most of them were prior service too.

Your ASTB scores are fairly average. That's what probably caused your non select.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
I know that the character references ARE read...sometimes. In fact, I had a SWO non-select with a 50+ OAR score and 3.8 GPA...no waivers. I am sure it was due to the lackluster character references that rated him average nearly all the time or "not observed." I will agree that at the aviation board and the sheer volume of applications AND how the board is done in one single day, they aren't read. I would also say that in the smaller staff corps communities, they take their time and dig through the package. It's in their best interest to do so with such small quotas and low selection rates.

jjg

Your ASTB scores are fairly average. That's what probably caused your non select.
Then what stood out with the people who had scores lower than me? They must have something in their applications that make them more favorable.

exNavyOffRec

I know that the character references ARE read...sometimes. In fact, I had a SWO non-select with a 50+ OAR score and 3.8 GPA...no waivers. I am sure it was due to the lackluster character references that rated him average nearly all the time or "not observed." I will agree that at the aviation board and the sheer volume of applications AND how the board is done in one single day, they aren't read. I would also say that in the smaller staff corps communities, they take their time and dig through the package. It's in their best interest to do so with such small quotas and low selection rates.

+1 on the smaller boards, one of the oddest things I had happen is I was at a command picnic and one of the CEC accessions officers called me (not the one assigned to the area I was in), they were reviewing application and he wanted to ask me about the comments I had made about my candidate in the recruiter statement. I had recently been on a CEC VIP trip with all of the accessions officers otherwise I doubt I would have been called, and my candidate did get a Y.

I think on the SWO boards it varies a bit more depending on the number of spots they have available, lower numbers of spots and they look a bit harder.

cubuffalo

Checking in for this board
SNA
OAR: 67
ASTB: 8/8/8
Major: Aerospace Engineering
GPA: ~3.4

Best of luck to everyone!

Chairman4Life

Contributor
Checking in! I missed the last board by not getting approved through N3M in time, all set for this one. Good luck everyone!

Active Duty: 5 Years (Air Force SSgt)
2W1X1 Aircraft Armament Systems (F-22/A-10)
Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
Applying: SNA and NFO
Degree: ERAU, B.S. in Aeronautics (Minor in Aviation Safety & Technical Management)
GPA: 3.3
LORS: O-4 (Commander)/E-7 (Flight Chief)/E-6 (Direct Supervisor)
ASTB-E: 50 5/8/6
Volunteer: Boy Scouts of America, AFSA, Habitat for Humanity, First Four Committee
Awards: BTZ Promotion, Pitsenbarger Award, Achievement Medal, Airman of the Year

I'm checking in as well!

Civilian
1) SNA 2) NFO 3) IW (maybe)
OAR: 46
ASTB: 5/5/5
GPA: 2.8, BS in Exercise Science from Liberty University
LOR: O-4 Ret, O-4 Ret, E-9, Volunteer supervisor
Starting the application process but I plan on retaking the ASTB at the end of the month!

The boards don't even look at your LORs unless you need a waiver (drug, legal, etc.). If you feel you're GPA/ASTB isn't good enough and having to rely on LORs/Interviews to help you get selected, well I have some bad news for you...

How true is this? I'm confident I can improve my scores and I think I have solid LORs. But my GPA isn't going anywhere. Does volunteering factor in at all?

FormerRecruitingGuru

How true is this? I'm confident I can improve my scores and I think I have solid LORs. But my GPA isn't going anywhere. Does volunteering factor in at all?

"Five years of recruiting experience" true. The ASTB is an indicator on one's potential as either a Student Pilot/NFO in flight school. If you score the bare minimums, like what your profile shows, it doesn't really help your cause demonstrating that you'll successfully complete Flight School. The Navy is investing a lot of $$$ and they want to make sure who they're taking can get through the pipeline.

You can throw as many LORs, volunteer experience, etc. etc. but in the end you need to demonstrate that you can complete flight school. The ASTB is the biggest indicator of that.

"Five years of recruiting experience" true. The ASTB is an indicator on one's potential as either a Student Pilot/NFO in flight school. If you score the bare minimums, like what your profile shows, it doesn't really help your cause demonstrating that you'll successfully complete Flight School. The Navy is investing a lot of $$$ and they want to make sure who they're taking can get through the pipeline.

You can throw as many LORs, volunteer experience, etc. etc. but in the end you need to demonstrate that you can complete flight school. The ASTB is the biggest indicator of that.

Thank you for your response and your insight! Of course everyone and every board is different, but is there a somewhat specific # to shoot for? Like a 50,55,60 etc. & all 7's or 8's?