• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS questions

Carno

Insane
No.

I had never worn a combat boot in my life before I got to OCS.

But I guess it would be nice to get there with already worn in boots.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
what are the boot regs? I ahve a pair of 'tactical boots' that aren't all leather (i.e. they have some nylon mesh on the sides). They also have a quick kick off zipper down the inside. They are by far the lightest and most comfortable boots I'v ever worn though. Worth bringing?

(I wasnt planning on it until this just came up)

-Texan

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Texan said:
what are the boot regs? I ahve a pair of 'tactical boots' that aren't all leather (i.e. they have some nylon mesh on the sides). They also have a quick kick off zipper down the inside. They are by far the lightest and most comfortable boots I'v ever worn though. Worth bringing?

(I wasnt planning on it until this just came up)

-Texan

You'll need the issue USMC boots with the EGA on the side. Hell, I suspect my USMC Danners won't pass inspection as they're a finer cut of leather (the rough side has been polished down somewhat and hence noticeably darker) than the Bellevilles I was issued this summer. Doubt they'll notice or care in the field, though.

I've heard good things about the zip boots but unfortunately don't believe there's a USMC version.

Quanticoboot.com stocks the issue boots.

pjxc415

pilot
Physicx said:
Do you really need to buy boots before?

I had two pairs of boots before going down. One of them, bates jungles, tore apart my feet for a year of training with rotc. The other i got right before ocs and used them specifically for inspections.

Bottom line, i don't think you need to go down there with broken in boots. However, when you're at gear issue, make sure you take the time and do as many trade-ins as necessary to make sure the find the boot that is perfect for you. I traded mine in several times until I got Belleville jungles and ICBs that were both the right size. I didn't get a single blister while as ocs.

Carno

Insane
Yeah, and make sure you thoroughly try both pairs you are issued. I got my ICB's to just the right fit, and then assumed the jungles would be exactly the same fit, and so I only tried them on once.

Turned out my jungles were slightly too small, and I had to try and get them returned about two weeks after we were issued them. For some reason or another my ill fitted jungles we returned to me, except instead of having two ill fitting jungle boots, I now had one ill fitting jungle and one ill fitting ICB. I have no idea how it happened, but when I tried to explain it to the company GSGT, I only got chewed out. I half-heartedly tried to raise the issue again, but decided that it went against my "stay under the radar" plan, so I gave up.

So I went through 10 weeks of OCS with one pair of boots. Humps, fords, inspections, everything in that one pair. Make sure you check your boots out very carefully so you don't get screwed up like me. But luckily for me I only got one blisters on time, on the 9 miler.

ASUSunDevil

I guess I am just confused with the whole OCS process. I was thinking you would pretty much get issued everything you have to wear when you get there but after reading all of these it doesn't seem that way. One post says that you will only run in go-fasters 4 or 5 times, tegtag says you run in boots at least twice. Don't you run every day you are there? If so then what are these people running in, barefoot? I must be missing something. I have been wearing a pair of black boots to work that my OSO gave me to break them in and am going to start running in them tomorrow, 2 weeks before I ship which is probably bad timing, but it seems like that might be unnecessary anyway???

KBayDog

You need to get used to running in boots - your body must be conditioned to running in heavy hard-soled footwear prior to OCS.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
ASUSunDevil said:
I guess I am just confused with the whole OCS process. I was thinking you would pretty much get issued everything you have to wear when you get there but after reading all of these it doesn't seem that way. One post says that you will only run in go-fasters 4 or 5 times, tegtag says you run in boots at least twice. Don't you run every day you are there? If so then what are these people running in, barefoot? I must be missing something. I have been wearing a pair of black boots to work that my OSO gave me to break them in and am going to start running in them tomorrow, 2 weeks before I ship which is probably bad timing, but it seems like that might be unnecessary anyway???

Tegtag was being facetious. The goal is that by the end of OCS you will do all your PT in boots. The go-fasters are just to acclimate you so you don't break down so fast. I think one of COL Rachal's initiatives was to keep guys in go-fasters longer to reduce injuries. Depends on the company staff how soon you go from go-fasters to boots, but count on lots of the latter.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Just a couple more questions...

What happens to the things that are on the "do not bring" list such as Motrin? Do we get access to them after week 3 or can we somehow keep them with our stuff the entire time?

Do I have to bring a disposable razor or can I bring my Mach 3?

How much mouthwash are we going to need in the first 3 weeks? Is it only for cleaning our canteen? Just trying to decide between a little travel size and big bottle.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help and advice.

Carno

Insane
If you bring contraband, it will get locked in a footlocker and you won't see it again until your first libo.

Any razor is fine. I brought my Mach 3. Make sure you bring plenty of extra heads for it though. I only brought three heads for mine and by week 10 they were dull as a mofo. I guess you could buy some during libo too, which is what I should have done.

Mouthwash? wtf? Nobody in my platoon brought mouthwash. I never cleaned my canteen either, if that tells you anything.

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
ASU, you may have already left for OCS but if you haven't, make sure you drive there. Any questions about what to take, take it in your car. Take everyting you can fit if you want, why not you never know what you might use. As for boots, winter OCS is a special animal, I knew guys that had the bates lites and all the great summer running boots. I personally took a pair of insulated Danner strikers. Heavy as hell, but gortex and comfy. Take the light boots if you lack leg strength. But if you are confident in your leg strength and can handle a big ole block on your feet, a good insulated boot is an absolute God send at winter OCC. Good luck. P.S. we could only wear black boots buring field/PT events but that's the only time it really matters anyway. (There was no Eagle Globe and anchor requirement for the black boots)

WingedBull

Are you recommending driving to PLC-C? Is that even authorized?

Few other things I've been meaning to ask before this summer - how does laundry work down there? Also, I've heard multiple stories on cell phones. Obviously you're not going to have em during the week but if they do come with us, can we get at them on libo?

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
You can get your cell phone at libo. If you don't drive all your civilian stuff will be locked in a closet with everybody elses stuff and you'll be able to get at it once libo is sounded.

I don't know if you can drive to PLC combined, if you can and live within a thousand miles or so I would. Ask an OSO, should be a simple question. For PLC-c guys it's a little more pain in the rear to drive because you won't be starting TBS right away. If you live anywhere close I would definitely drive. OCC guys pretty much go straight to TBS after OCS, so I recommend they drive no matter what.

Laundry is a pain in the rear at OCS, but it'll get done and you don't need to bring laundry soap or anything. A laundry proof marker is a good idea. Sanford makes one called the "rub a dub" that works pretty well. Mark your stuff as early as possible and you will save yourself some heartache. Just make sure you do it correctly or you'll look like a tool.

Coota0

None
Does Fartlek refers to a hill or a running style or a hill on which the running style is practiced?