• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS questions

tperng

Carno said:
I don't remember how many times we ran in go fasters, but I do know it was a hell of a lot more than 4 times. I was in Alpha Company, PLC Combined.

I mean, there were three PFT's, a couple five mile runs, a couple three mile runs in the beginning, a bunch of fartlek runs and then the extended fartlek (or whatever the heck that was, the circuit run when we did pushups and dips on the bleachers), and then all the squad runs. Towards the end we ran almost exclusively in boots, but there was still the MOH run and the moto run that were in go fasters.

Wow, I don't remember running in go fasters more than 4 or 5 times at OCS and I just graduated. We ran the Fartlek and everything else in boots and utes, the favorite PT uniform. I guess it all depends on the staff.

But I was the same way with my packing list before OCS. If I had to do it over again, I'd only bring:

1) $400 cash
2) ATM or credit card for additional purchases at OCS
3) Black or OD green UnderArmour Cold Gear for survival in cold weather
4) Hand warmers (both small and large sizes) for survival in cold weather (Walmart also sells these)
5) 5 pairs Black Thorlos Combat Boot Socks (I never got blisters at OCS and didn't use any of that Bodyglide stuff, just my Thorlos socks)
6) 2 pairs green Superfeet insoles (optional for some people, but my feet like Superfeet and treating your feet well will get you far at OCS)
7) Toothbrush and toothpaste since that's not issued
9) A couple of Rub-A-Dub laundry markers for marking clothing
10) Driver's license just for ID purposes
11) A large sea bag to put all the large and small bag issued to you so you'd have a slightly easier time during "pickup".

That's pretty much it. Everything else will either come with the small and large bag issue or you can buy. There's a PX call every week where you can purchases whatever you need at OCS. You can also purchase additional stuff at PX, Target, Walmart, or wherever during libo after week 3.

Carno

Insane
You ran the fartlek in boots and utes the first time you did it?

I seem to remember doing the fartlek in running shoes the first couple of times. I dunno, I don't remember a whole lot from OCS, and I just graduated in August. That pesky thing where you repress bad memories I guess.

tperng

I don't really recall running the fartlek in go fasters except for the 5 mile individual run. After running the fartlek so many times in boots, attacking it with go fasters was a piece of cake. Fartlek really isn't that steep of a hill compared to Da Nang or the Hilly Trail. :)

Carno

Insane
Yeah like I said, I think we only ran the fartlek in go fasters the first couple of times.

We ran the reverse fartlek a couple of times and we had to sprint up Da Nang; that really sucked.

ip568

None
wtf_cat.jpg

When did this start? We brought nothing and were issued what we needed.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Judging by your profile ip you went to Navy OCS. They are talking about Marine Corps OCS.

KBayDog

ip568 said:
When did this start? We brought nothing and were issued what we needed.

Issue-smissue.

We's the Marine Corps. We po'. We bring our own stuff, and then have to buy a butt-ton of stuff anyway. We ain't issued shite.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
This is probably dumb, but what do we do about towels for showers?

-Texan

Crowbar

None
TransAmatt said:
You will buy 4 towels and 2 washclothes prior to pickup.

Yeah, white towels. Also used for inspection. I took some dark green and dark blue towels to shower with so the white ones stayed white. Nobody said anything.

ASUSunDevil

I got some stuff but not sure if it is worth it or the right stuff. I went to an Army/Navy store for socks. They didn't have Thorlo, only Fox river. I got 2 pair of the olive military socks that have blister guard and two pair of some other black ones that don't say much on them but they have polypropylene and feel like they would be a lot warmer. Is that good enough? I figured I would fun in the military socks and do everything else in the other warmer ones.

I got an olive underarmour cold gear shirt. I have heard different things but will they let me wear it? It was $50, can I get it cheaper there?

Also, know anything about the Superfeet insoles? I guess I should just try them and see if I like them in my boots. They say maximum shock absorption so I guess that's good?

Last question, on the list on the first page it says 1 pair of nice shoes, 1 pair go-fasters, 1 pair boots, and 1 pair black dress shoes. This seems like a lot. Can I wear my boots as dress shoes/nice shoes/boots and just bring those and go fasters? My OSO said they will issue desert boots there and you don't even have to polish them? If that is the case how many times do you run in the boots you bring?

Thanks a lot, don't want to waste money buying useless $hit.

tegtag

I got some stuff but not sure if it is worth it or the right stuff. I went to an Army/Navy store for socks. They didn't have Thorlo, only Fox river. I got 2 pair of the olive military socks that have blister guard and two pair of some other black ones that don't say much on them but they have polypropylene and feel like they would be a lot warmer. Is that good enough? I figured I would fun in the military socks and do everything else in the other warmer ones.

I got an olive underarmour cold gear shirt. I have heard different things but will they let me wear it? It was $50, can I get it cheaper there?

Also, know anything about the Superfeet insoles? I guess I should just try them and see if I like them in my boots. They say maximum shock absorption so I guess that's good?

Last question, on the list on the first page it says 1 pair of nice shoes, 1 pair go-fasters, 1 pair boots, and 1 pair black dress shoes. This seems like a lot. Can I wear my boots as dress shoes/nice shoes/boots and just bring those and go fasters? My OSO said they will issue desert boots there and you don't even have to polish them? If that is the case how many times do you run in the boots you bring?

I don't know much about the cold gear but if you worried about your feet and blisters get sock liners (mine were from Cabela's). I wore those plus some standard boot socks and didn't change them throughout SULE II (20+ miles) and had only one blister the entire OCS which was from tying my boots in about 2.3 seconds too loosely in the squad bay the first time we wore boots.

As for the UnderArmor, I wore UA shorts for humps but thats it. Some people got caught wearing UA but only got chewed out. I think it depends on your staff.

I assume you mean the boots you bring to be official EGA boots. If you didn't bring nice shoes, you would have to wear go fasters or the EGA boots for liberty. I pretty sure they won't look to kindly too that. Just bring some dress shoes. Yes you take them off immediately at the airport when you get there, just try not to lose them at pick up. And with the new EGA tan/suede boots, there is no polishing, just a good scuzzbrushing will do.

You run, march, walk, hump in boots I'd say more than twice so take the time when you get issued them to find the ones that fit correctly.

ASUSunDevil

Someone posted on here all you need to remember before you go to OCS is the big 4, General Orders, Code of Conduct, Rankings/Insignias for the Marines and Navy, and the Chain of Command. I found 3 of the 4 in the study guide but I did not find the chain of command, is that the same as the rankings? Also, is there anything else I should memorize such as Leadership Traits, Leadership Principles, Mission of the USMC, Hymn, or marching cadences?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
ASUSunDevil said:
Someone posted on here all you need to remember before you go to OCS is the big 4, General Orders, Code of Conduct, Rankings/Insignias for the Marines and Navy, and the Chain of Command. I found 3 of the 4 in the study guide but I did not find the chain of command, is that the same as the rankings? Also, is there anything else I should memorize such as Leadership Traits, Leadership Principles, Mission of the USMC, Hymn, or marching cadences?

They quizzed us on the Leadership Traits and Principles but it was less important than the big 4. You should know the hymn, and just start reading through the candidate regs:

http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/New_Web_Format/Candidate_Information/Preparation Documents.htm

It's a huge file so save it locally. You'll have a ton of time during inprocessing and during downtime to read it (we carried it everywhere and were ordered to study it whenever we had to sit around doing nothing), so don't feel you need to memorize the whole thing. Important parts include the candidate billet responsibilites.