• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS questions

SMILE4BULLETS

OPENBAH is dead on with most of his list but like some said, you only need 1 pair of civvies, no Q-Tips (im still using the ones i bought at OCS in August), 1 towel. But i have a few things to add:
-Red Pen for Speer Evals
-Bore Snake (.223cal)- if you dont know what this is pm me
-1 roll of electrical tape
-2 sticks of body glide (i only got 1 blister at OCS, and that was the first day. did 13 mile hump with no sock change bc of body glide)
-Fox River Military Boot Socks, black. They have anti-friction areas on the soles...they are money

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Thanks for helping out with the list everybody.

I had a couple questions regarding the list:
I'm planning on wearing nice shoes when I arrive, do I also have to bring black dress shoes?
Are go-fasters included in our inspections? I don't think they are, so bringing an extra pair is overkill right?
What would we need electrical tape for?

Carno

Insane
Only bring one pair of nice shoes.. They will make you put your running shoes on at the airport when you first arrive.

They do not inspect running shoes, so you don't have to have an extra pair. A lot of candidates in my platoon actually bought another pair of shoes while they were at OCS though. Also, it is wise to bring a brand new pair of running shoes to OCS. They will ask you when you get there how old your shoes are, and if they are too old they will make you buy a new pair.

Easiest thing is to just go there with a brand new pair. When you leave OCS you will have to throw them away immediately, because you will put a beating on them.

Oh yeah and electrical tape? You're never going to need that, so don't bother.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The reason people bring two pairs of running shoes to OCS is that they will get wet and nasty running in the mud and whatnot, soemtimes it's nice to have a dry pair to put on.

The electrical tape is for securing straps and things on your 782 gear and alice pack. It came in handy.

pjxc415

pilot
Carno said:
Only bring one pair of nice shoes.. They will make you put your running shoes on at the airport when you first arrive.

They do not inspect running shoes, so you don't have to have an extra pair. A lot of candidates in my platoon actually bought another pair of shoes while they were at OCS though. Also, it is wise to bring a brand new pair of running shoes to OCS. They will ask you when you get there how old your shoes are, and if they are too old they will make you buy a new pair.

Easiest thing is to just go there with a brand new pair. When you leave OCS you will have to throw them away immediately, because you will put a beating on them.

Oh yeah and electrical tape? You're never going to need that, so don't bother.

I'm gonna have to disagree with your statement about running shoes. If you go down there with a brand new pair, you shouldn't have to buy a new pair after. Sure, they get muddy on runs, but in terms of miles put on them which is what counts, you really don't put that much on. I can really only recall running about 4 times in go fasters and probably wearing them around brown field for a total of about 8 days. Although i don't know which program ya'll are doing. I was golf company - i'm a nrotc mid. Could be different for other programs.

Carno

Insane
I don't remember how many times we ran in go fasters, but I do know it was a hell of a lot more than 4 times. I was in Alpha Company, PLC Combined.

I mean, there were three PFT's, a couple five mile runs, a couple three mile runs in the beginning, a bunch of fartlek runs and then the extended fartlek (or whatever the heck that was, the circuit run when we did pushups and dips on the bleachers), and then all the squad runs. Towards the end we ran almost exclusively in boots, but there was still the MOH run and the moto run that were in go fasters.

What I was told by the physical training guy (can't remember his full name, everyone called him Jesse I think) is that running shoes break down over time also, not just by mileage. I don't know much about this stuff, that's just what I was told at OCS. But I do know that my running shoes were beat to hell by the time I finished OCS. Once I bought new shoes after OCS I noticed a huge difference in how they felt, and I bought the same exact pair I had before.

pjxc415

pilot
yeah sounds like you guys did use em a lot more than we did. i used to love wearing em though. they were a saving grace after a tough day or couple of days. esp after Sule II

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
pjxc415 said:
yeah sounds like you guys did use em a lot more than we did. i used to love wearing em though. they were a saving grace after a tough day or couple of days. esp after Sule II

Mostly depends on your staff...

Killer2

TRONS!
None
They told me I had the flatest feet he had seen in 20 years of doing this shit, and I need new shoes at the first libo. Almost wouldn't let me train because of it. I finished fine, and no shin splints. One guy had duct tape holding his shoes together.

USMC Philly

openbah said:
Here is my pack list for January OCS that I have compiled from other lists I've seen in the past.

PT Gear / Clothing
- 2 pairs of white running socks

Socks are full length, quarter cut, ankle cut, or just personal preference?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd go with full length so you can have "happy socks". Well, maybe you need ankle cuts for happy socks......

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
E5B said:
I'd go with full length so you can have "happy socks"
Does that have anything to do with a cruise sock?

I'm bringing quarter-length white socks like this:

RunningQtr.jpg

I think you can bring quarter or full length. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've read do not bring the short kind.

Either way, it's going to be strange not running in my usual socks. I'm going to miss em.

20040201-toes.jpg

TransAmatt

I read that you should bring full length before I left so I did, but when I got down there half of my platoon and my entire staff wore ankle socks. So, bring what you're most comfortable in.