• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS questions

ItsTurboTime

I could see a stamp being pretty helpful for a long last name, but since I only have 4 letters to worry about I probably won't get one.

tegtag

Tape and marking is not that big a deal.

The first time I was taping and marking everything where the SI walks you through it I didn't even have a stencil. I had to use the stencils of three different guys around me after they were done to come up with my 9 letter last name.

Then I finally got a stencil but they didn't punch out the 1/2 inch part. I had to tape together a 1/2 stencil from old DOR stencils.

Adapt and overcome.

From what I remember they got fed up with the punch machine stencil issue and gave everyone who showed up for 2nd increment last summer a generic, entire alphabet stencil (those yellow ones right?)

batman527

Banned
Newbie questions. Does all of your gear need to be labled? How much of it do you have to buy when you get there. Will $300 be enough? That's what my OSO recommended. Just curious.

nana nana nana nana nana nana nana nana... Pow! ZAP!

ASUSunDevil

I am leaving Saturday and am not bringing my car but we have family friends that live 15 miles from base so I was thinking of mailing a box there with stuff I think I might want once we get libo. I started getting everything on the list on the first page and my OSO said not to get any of it. He said someone else will have it and you will lose it anyway. Here is his list he recommended...
-2 sets slacks
-2 collared shirts
-jacket
-underwear for a week
-running socks for a week
-go fasters
-dress shoes
-toothbrush
-razor

I think that's about all I am going to bring. Wish me luck!

Carno

Insane
tegtag said:
Tape and marking is not that big a deal.

The first time I was taping and marking everything where the SI walks you through it I didn't even have a stencil. I had to use the stencils of three different guys around me after they were done to come up with my 9 letter last name.

Then I finally got a stencil but they didn't punch out the 1/2 inch part. I had to tape together a 1/2 stencil from old DOR stencils.

Adapt and overcome.

From what I remember they got fed up with the punch machine stencil issue and gave everyone who showed up for 2nd increment last summer a generic, entire alphabet stencil (those yellow ones right?)
Hah, yeah that happened to a lot of guys in my platoon. Luckily I got both of my stencils.

And yeah, the 2nd increment PLC'ers got the yellow alphabet stencils. Those probably sucked to use.

ASUSunDevil - Good luck. What you listed there is all I brought to PLC-Combined, and that's all I needed.

oztin79

What kind of boots at OCS?

I saw that someone suggested that a pair of broken-in boots should be included among a candidate's reporting gear at Pensacola. I assume this is so that we can switch out the new ones to minimize foot problems resulting from new-issue footwear. I also assume they're BATES standard issue, but can someone tell me exactly what type and even where to get them so I can start sporting them with my running shorts.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
oztin79 said:
I saw that someone suggested that a pair of broken-in boots should be included among a candidate's reporting gear at Pensacola. I assume this is so that we can switch out the new ones to minimize foot problems resulting from new-issue footwear. I also assume they're BATES standard issue, but can someone tell me exactly what type and even where to get them so I can start sporting them with my running shorts.

This is the Marine OCS forum. Guessing by BDCP and Pensacola, you're asking about Navy OCS.

oztin79

You're right, but Marines have BDCP, too right? I'll try to pay better attention to subtle thread titles like <U.S Marine Corps (USMC) > Marine OCS > OCS questions>. Honestly, who would've known?

jdelphi

Hello.

Are there any prior enlisted Marines here? I went through enlisted recruit training Summer of 2005, and I did fine bringing only my social security and driver's license. I am planning [er... hoping] to go to Juniors this upcoming Summer. Do I really need special ointments, special soles, and new boots? If anyone also went to enlisted recruit training, can you tell me what to expect, specifically in differences between OCS and enlisted recruit training? What would I be bringing among the stuff (uniforms, gear, boots?) I already have?

Semper Fi

rrnavy

Manifest and Cyclopalegic eye enam?

Any one know where I can get a Manifest and Cyclopalegic eye exam, if I do not have any insurence?

Benson

Wow, this info is great. I dont go to OCC until June... but i am training pretty hard for it right now and tryin to take in all the info i can. Aside from what to bring in what kind of shape did you all in general go in. PFT times and etc... At present I am doin 21:38 3 Mile; Maxin pull-ups and sit-ups. but i had a friend who went to the 6-week nrotc OCC say that 20 mins or more and your at the back of the pack?

Additionally, how much should I study before I go, and what should I deem more important than the rest? lastly, what exactly do they give you when you get there? Thanks in advance for the help - everything i've read thus far has been outstanding!

Benson

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Benson said:
Additionally, how much should I study before I go, and what should I deem more important than the rest? lastly, what exactly do they give you when you get there? Thanks in advance for the help - everything i've read thus far has been outstanding!

Benson

Study your general orders, other than that, don't worry about academics. As far as the run, no matter what OCS will hurt in that aspect, expect it...anything you can do to make it hurt less then good on you.

We had a 300+ company and graduated 197, of those we lost I would say <5% were physical, everything else was mental. Just keep in mind that OCS is not how the Marine Corps is run and you will be fine.

Raptor2216

Benson said:
Wow, this info is great. I dont go to OCC until June... but i am training pretty hard for it right now and tryin to take in all the info i can. Aside from what to bring in what kind of shape did you all in general go in. PFT times and etc... At present I am doin 21:38 3 Mile; Maxin pull-ups and sit-ups. but i had a friend who went to the 6-week nrotc OCC say that 20 mins or more and your at the back of the pack?

Benson

If you are going for Jr's then just go there with a good attitude and tak everything with a stride. I went into Jr's with your run time and I did fine. My in PFT was 250 or so. You should be fine but try to improve as much as you can...it will only help you. On the other hand, Sr's is a whol different story. I went in with a PFT score of 270 and left with a 293. You definately want to be in great shape for Sr's.

As far as studying goes, I didn't do any before getting to OCS and there were no issues. As stated earlier, just memorize your general orders and you will be ahead of the pack. Everything else you need to learn at OCS is a cake walk. Also, just to give you some stats about my platoon, we lost one candidate during Sr's because of an injury. During Jr's, we lost maybe 2 from the entire platoon. Platoon size during Jr's is going to be greater by atleast 15-20 candidates when compared to Sr's.

Just remember that it's OK to make mistakes. However, it's not OK to keep making the same mistake over and over again. So, just learn from your actions and don't let it happen again. OCS is very simple and you just need to slow down and think before you speak. As long as you can do all this, you shouldn't have any problems. I made plenty of mistakes during Jr's but I learned from them. I went back to Sr's much better prepared to take on the challenge. Goodluck.