• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS - March 23, 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlowery

so where are you all coming from? I will be driving from Nashville TN. i put in the address on Yahoo directions (the place i get all my directions) and it is about 460 miles from here. so i am estimating a 6-8 hour drive. i am already in Central time zone so no need to worry about that. anyone practicing on their swimming yet?? I haven't been swimming in the longest time, so i'm gonna try and find a place to swim a little before i leave.

so the 23rd is on a Saturday, but we really do not start until Sunday right? Guess we just need to confirm that we are there by Saturday. Getting closer.........Later

Matt L.

el_riddle

60 bubba
hey guys,
does anyone know how many people have been placed in our class thus far?
anyway, i really don't know the proper procedure for checking in yet. so we are supposed to check in, on sat, even if we don't officially start until sunday? also, matt, i was a swimmer in high skool and swam a bit in college (intramurals) so i haven't worried about that too much.
i'm driving from lexington, ky. and might pass through nashville on the way, but i really don't know. all i do know is 'go patriats'!!!
later,
luke

mattlowery

yeah, from what i've read, we check in on Saturday at the NASC quarterdeck and get our orders stamped and then we are free until Sunday morning. i think we can either stay in the BEQ if there is room, or we can get a hotel and get reimbursed for it. i just got back from the "Y" from swimming, and let me tell you, my shoulders are soooo sore! i will definitely have to do more swimming before i go. i couldn't do very many laps together. i'd have to stop and do one or two at a time. i can run no problem, etc and am only 145 pounds, but swimming is kicking my ass. I hope it is one of those things where the more you do, the easier it gets! i need to get some kind of swimming technique down, but i've never really been a swimmer in high school or college, so i'm gonna have to practice a good bit. i think i could definitely pass the 3rd class swim test right now though even though i'm not in the best swimming shape. I'm not sure how many have been placed in our class yet; the only people i am aware of are us three. well, i'm gonna go try and get my shoulders to quit hurting, maybe amputate them, hehe. take it easy!

Matt L.

Jared

Yeah Matt, I know how you feel about the swimming, I'm in exactly the same boat. Looks like it's lots of time in the pool for me for a while. As far as # of people in our class I haven't the foggiest. What's typical, any idea? I'll be making the drive from Houston, which Yahoo tells me is about 9 or so hours; looking forward to it. Also, on the issue of checking in etc... most of what I heard is don't even bother on Saturday, which is also what my recruiter suggested. He said just show up around 10 or 11 on Sunday, and the festivities will begin then.

Jared

el_riddle

60 bubba
you guys keep talking about swimming. i haven't heard that you do much swimming as far as conditioning nor distance. am i missing something?
luke

mattlowery

Luke,

Have to be able to pass the swim test in the first 2 weeks i think. I'm pretty sure I could pass that, but i think down the road, the swimming gets much harder, especially for aviation. Maybe Matt S. could give us some heads up here.

Matt L.

el_riddle

60 bubba
man, running in the snow sucks!!! i've been trying to be diligent and wake at 4.30 so my body is in a pattern come march, but so far i'm struggling! Matt, i meant to ask you, what is the third class swimming requirements?
luke

mattlowery

i think you jump off a tower (not too tall), tread water for 5 minutes, and then swim 50 yards using any strokes. i don't think it is too bad, but like i said, i think aviation gets much harder and that is what i worry about. oh well, we'll struggle through it together. Off to eat, later!

Matt L.

Mahoney

To all you OCS folk,
Don't sweat the swimming as far as endurance goes, as long as you can get from one end to the other without drowning you'll pass the test. If you can pass the test but have difficulty they will work with you. If you're an aviator hopeful you will have more than enough opportunties to swim, I think it's twice a week the majority of the time you're there. For those that don't swim well it's not the actual swimming that gets them rather it's the 5 min tread and 5 min. float. Most people are able to get from one side to the other but when they try to tread water they panic and sink. If you're a weak swimmer with poor form this is where I'd concentrate the most. Try and get to the point where you feel comfortable in the water, panic is the biggest problem!
Concerning gouge, try and memorize as much as you can before you go but fear not you WILL get PLENTY of opportunties once you arrive. In fact the first week will seem like that's all you do. Rarely will you be told to resite the gouge face to face by a screaming drill instructor, they have other plans for you:) The time to know the gouge is during the room inspections when the LT or Chief comes in for the first half of the evolution. My best advice is to practice with a friend or family member asking you while standing directly in front or you and picking at your clothes and body to distract you. Don't have them go in any order.
Best way not to roll is be in shape when you arrive and prepare for all the academic tests. About half the people that roll do so because they get sick or injured. The better shape you're in the less chance you have to be effected.
I had 56 people in my class, which is about average. Of those about 30 graduated on time. If for some reason you do roll try not to get depressed and use any time you're given to correct whatever rolled you.
Good luck to all of you, I'm sure I'll be seeing you, or at least hearing you, as the D.I.'s play with you all over the base!!

Jared

Damn! 26 rolls or drops? Were they mostly physical condition issues, med problems or what? I wasn't concerned about it before, but I am now.

jared

Mahoney

Jared,
I've been out of OCS for a little while now so these numbers aren't exact but they should give you a good idea.
We lost roughly...
5 poeple on the in PRT
-3 on the run
-1 on push ups
-1 on sit ups
4 people to swim hold
4 to injuries (shin splints, pulled muscles, knee injuries)
6 to illness (EVERYONE will get sick but some get it worse than others)
4 to test failures (either inspections or academic)
2 DOR's (Drop On Request)

With the exception of the DOR's all but one of these people graduated with other classes at some point in time. The in PRT failures seemed to have the toughest time classing up again due to the time it takes to build strength, so be prepared!
If you're in relativly good shape and you have a real desire to be there you'll do fine. Don't be scared just try and have fun with it. Don't take it too seriously either it's just a small hurdle at the beginning of a great career. You and your friends will laugh about for years to come.

Jared

Okay, I feel better now. Looking at those figures, it looks like someone who's squared away ought to be alright. That eases my mind. Muchos gracias Mahoney.

Jared

el_riddle

60 bubba
yea...no doubt, that makes me feel much better. i guess i'm getting a bit anxious about the whole thing. its crazy how soon we are leaving...and just when i was starting to think my friends were cool. oh well.
luke

Thomas B

Hello everyone! Just would like to say that I too am in the 23 march OCS class! 6 weeks away and it is not here soon enough. I also got selected for an aviator slot, so it looks like we will be around each other for the next year or so.

I've read on here that we are not supposed to report until that Sunday. My Recruiter said that I had to report no later than 2300 on Saturday March 23, 2002. I was planning on driving down there on the 22nd and getting a room for the night to rest up and relax before the fun hits the fan! So, does anyone have word yet on which date and time we have to report?

So who else has the same plan as I do? I figured one last night to have a cold beer before we start OCS!

el_riddle

60 bubba
thomas,
sounds good too me...thats one thing i'll miss, cold beer that is, but i guess i'll learn to do without. anyway, congragulations on your aviator spot. crazy to think that we will be among the best in the world soon. as for driving down, i'm coming in from lexington, ky most likely on sat or friday night. where did you graduate from?
luke

Status
Not open for further replies.