• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS - March 23, 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who hasn't got the gouge completely memorized. Do you guys have a million loose ends to tie up? It seems like every time I cross something off my to-do list, I remember something else. Luke, as far as bringing stuff beyond what they have on the list, I figure I'll just leave it in my car until I know whether it's okay to have or not. Hope that ankle heals up for you. See ya'll Saturday.

Jared

Thomas B

Maybe we all need to have a study session at the hotel, cause I'm in the same boat! Every time I get something done I find something else to do also! Luke, hope your ankle gets to feeling better and I'm sure you can bring a bible because that is freedom of religion brother! Well it is crunch time so I hope everyone enjoys their last few days and have a safe trip to Pensacola! See yall there

Thomas

Fly Navy!!!

Rick1174

Guys:

Having been through it all, let me just give you a few tips to be ahead of the gang. First, tie your shoes properly. The proper way is outboard over inboard. DO NOT have your laces in any of the little loops in the toungs or at the bottom where you start lacing. Just make sure that OUTBOARD lace (either the right lace on the right shoe or the LEFT lace on the LEFT shoe) is on top of the other lace. Then, tuck your "trash" or your laces inside your shoes. Make sure you tuck all your clothes in too. This will be the FIRST thing you are instructed to do when you get to OCS. As well as start chanting "Yes sir, no sir, aye sir, no excuses sir".

Second, know your gouge. At least know the big 3. You won't know your class officer and such until you get here but know as much as you can. There are some screw up in the gouge in the books you have but don't worry...you'll get the corrected version when you get here. You will have a gouge book that you will carry with you everywhere and stare blankly at for the first 4 weeks you are here. If you can, know all your insignias, know the first 2 versus of anchors away, know the first 3 verses of the marine hymn. Know your phenetic alphabet. They give you very little time to memorize this stuff once you are here because you are SO busy with everything else. Leave anything that is NO requireed in your car...you can get it in about a week or so. I would bring an iron if if were you (leave it in the car) cause the ones we have to use are poor and leave marks on your uniforms.

Also, be prepared to spend about $2000 once you get here. You don't need money now, but you will be spending $2000+ on uniforms. The government will give you $1179 and another $300 after graduation. YOU have to pay for the rest. And you will end up spending even more when you start to do inspections. Oh, and you may want to bring a black ink pad so you can stamp your clothes. It's personal preference but the ink is easier (for me anyways). Just don't wash or wear the clothes that you use for inspection. Bring a can or starch too and leave that in your car until you can get it.

Best of luck to all of you! It's an OUTSTANDING experience that you will never forget!!

Rick

mattlowery

Rick,

Thanks for the info man! I won't be able to memorize all of that stuff before i got o OCS because I have so much to do. I have the Anchors Aweigh down, but not the Marine hymn. It only gives one verse of Marine Hymn in my gouge, so I'll look for the other. When you say the Big 3, you are referring to 1) General Orders, 2) Code of Conduct, and 3)the Chain of Command correct? Just making sure. I'll look at the other stuff as I am driving down Saturday, hehe. Tape it to the steering wheel perhaps??

I wish i would have known about the iron situation before. I have put all my stuff in storage now, and if i pull one thing out, I'm afraid of a disaster. Heck, I'll go look for it and give it a try though.

Luke, Thomas, and Jared....I drive a little black 1996 Ford Ranger, so be on the lookout. Hell, I don't think I'll have any problem spotting Thomas in a big ass truck like that. Luke, stay off your damn ankle man....get that thing healed up! As long as you can do the minimums for IN-PRT you're fine.

I know exactly what you guys mean about something new on the to-do list. i have my list on a notecard that is getting quite messy now. I need to go take care of some of it, so I'll talk to y'all later.

Matt L.

el_riddle

60 bubba
alright, rick just made me feel vastly unprepared! but thats alright...i don't think you can totally be prepared. from speaking with my air force friends (there is a large rotc program here at u.k.) it seems as though if you go in with a good attitude and play the game you'll make it through.

as for that $2000 cash...surely they can't expect you to have that upfront. rick, are you saying that after ocs you will be expected to pay that or am i going to spend a weekend leave trying to grab a loan?

well, i've been icing my ancle as best i can...luckily its a mild 'high ancle' sprain. but with so much to do its tough just to sit there and ice up. i'm thinking of reading the necessary gouge onto my computer and recording that on disc so i can listen to it on the drive down. i'm actually splitting it up so its a bit more liesureful...six hours friday night, a hotel and breakfast, the six hours saturday then meet you guys. i drive a silver mit. galant. well, i have to pay bills :(

luke

brian-75

I am getting ready to be your candi-o's next week, class 15-02 and 16-02 will be your liasions for your first week. 2000 bucks is about right. You do not need it immediately as the uniform shops have payment plans as well as some nice loans you can get. I just did my last PFA (physical fitness assessment), I did 83 pushups in 2 mins, 111 situps, and 8:57 on the 1.5 mile. We had one candidate that did it in 8:16. It depends on how much you "exercise" You guys will find out. Anyways have a good saturday night, dont drink too much, study a little, and on sunday sound off from the gut, not the vocal chords so you do not go hoarse as you will be standing for hours and sounding off.

Brian-75

Jared

Brian, quick question for you. I noticed in an earlier post that you were worried about the DVA portion of the flight physical. What happened when you took it? Did everything go okay? The reason I ask is because I'm terrified of the physical, so maybe you could assuage my fears a little.
Jared

el_riddle

60 bubba
brian...thanks for the advice. it would appear that we will have plenty of time to get acquainted :) see ya this weekend!
fly navy
luke

Thomas B

Brain, the fun is about to begin! Standing for hours sounding off. Wow!! Man brings back some memories! Congrats on your accomplishment and I hope that I will be able to do as well as you on my PFA!

Well guys we have our agenda now for Saturday and that is to take it easy and get ready for the fun!

Later
Thomas
Fly Navy!!!

Thomas B

Hey Guys just one more thing. Is everyones designator 13950? I was informed that this was the designator for SNA! Just reviewing my orders and wanted make sure that my information is correct!

Thomas

Brooklyn

Luke, I just wanted to thank you for your e-mail. It was valuable info and a great encouragement.

Good luck to all you March 23 dudes. Have a blast and don't forget Misquite Charlie's for the best (and biggest) steak you can find down in P'Cola. Be sure to come back and fill us in on your experiences! FLY NAVY!

cgrubb

I just got a sub slot last Fri and will be reporting to OCS on March 23 also.

See ya'll in a few weeks.

I guess I better start running..lol

Chris G.

Memphis, TN

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Cgrubb, sorry to break the news, but this forum was for people who had a March 23, 2002 NOT 2003 date.

Sorry man.....

hobe

Hey Chris-
There's a few of us on here for the March 22 03 class. The thread's over in the OCS Class Dates section. I think we're going to meet up down in P'Cola on the 20th for a couple days of R&R before it all hits the fan. Hope you can make it.
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.