• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ196

docholiday

I am applying for AIR 196 out of Houston and was wondering what offices are you guys or gals out of ? Have you heard anything about the availability of AIR slots (ie few and far between or a fair number of them out there) ? Also does anyone know if the boards will be doing any preselect for 197?

I am working out of the Austin OSO but don't know how many air slot are available or whether they are preselecting for 197. But I'd imagine they would like Trev said.

Ground&Pound

I was just wondering what PFT score you guys had that got selected to OCC 196 and what score the rest of you have that are still waiting selection?

bradler

My OSO submitted my contract with my contracting PFT, which to say was not a reflection of my true ability. My contracting was 255 and my current PFT is 287... If I get selected for air contract with my contracting PFT I will be amazed. He didn't tell me he was submitting it early, I am waiting to find out. I might have to reapply for the August board with my current PFT. :icon_rage

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
you can always update your PFT. I contracted with a pretty crappy one just to get the paperwork sent in by the deadline and then retook the PFT after the weekend and scored about 15 points higher. My OSO sent in the updated score and that was the one that they used when I got selected.

Now, I don't know if thats the official way its done, but thats how it happened for me. If you getting around 30 points higher than I would definately try to get a new score submitted with it. A year ago my OSO was saying that the OCC boards were looking for a 270 or higher.

docholiday

Suppose there are just a small number of air slots available and they get filled right off the bat, do you get selected anyways(if your a good candidate) but for a later class or do they offer you a ground slot for the class you are applying for?

Trev82

pilot
Suppose there are just a small number of air slots available and they get filled right off the bat, do you get selected anyways(if your a good candidate) but for a later class or do they offer you a ground slot for the class you are applying for?

I first applied for OCC my senior year back in 05 and i applied for all three as i was told applying for all three slots looks really good to the board..shows you want to be a Marine and not just a pilot. Well i was selected for ground and nfo, and regretfully i didn't take it as by now i would be a commissioned Marine (assuming the best). Well after rejecting the ground and nfo slot i graduated and got hired by Merrill Lynch and have been working here since. I've been very ansy and regretted not pursuing my life long dream ever since, truthfully its been haunting me. So i called the OSO in SD and asked them to revive my dead file that had been sitting there idle for the last year, i went through all the steps again, flight phys, pft, new app, new personal statement, new epsq, new referrals, EVERYTHING, and resubmitted for OCC195, once again i applied for all three slots. This time i was selected for the subsequent class 196 with a pilot slot. Moral of the long-winded story, don't give up, yes you can get selected for the next class, it definitely pays to reapply if you aren't selected the first time, and yes you can get selected for another slot if you aren't selected for your intended one. However you do sign all the paperwork and contracts for the designations your applying for so if your applying for ground, nfo, pilot thats three sets of contracts your signing... Hope this helps. Oh and if your not selected your first go around, do something productive between the first go around and reapplying...

bradler

Slammer, I would take your advice but the package has already been seen, in fact on July 6. So right now I am waiting for a decision. But if I didn't get selected the OSO said to resubmit to August 5th selection with new PFT score. So more waiting around... ahhhh.

docholiday

I first applied for OCC my senior year back in 05 and i applied for all three as i was told applying for all three slots looks really good to the board..shows you want to be a Marine and not just a pilot. Well i was selected for ground and nfo, and regretfully i didn't take it as by now i would be a commissioned Marine (assuming the best). Well after rejecting the ground and nfo slot i graduated and got hired by Merrill Lynch and have been working here since. I've been very ansy and regretted not pursuing my life long dream ever since, truthfully its been haunting me. So i called the OSO in SD and asked them to revive my dead file that had been sitting there idle for the last year, i went through all the steps again, flight phys, pft, new app, new personal statement, new epsq, new referrals, EVERYTHING, and resubmitted for OCC195, once again i applied for all three slots. This time i was selected for the subsequent class 196 with a pilot slot. Moral of the long-winded story, don't give up, yes you can get selected for the next class, it definitely pays to reapply if you aren't selected the first time, and yes you can get selected for another slot if you aren't selected for your intended one. However you do sign all the paperwork and contracts for the designations your applying for so if your applying for ground, nfo, pilot thats three sets of contracts your signing... Hope this helps. Oh and if your not selected your first go around, do something productive between the first go around and reapplying...

I see what your saying. I had applied for 195 with a 268 PFT and didn't get selected. I was told that my PFT score was the only thing that kept me from being selected, so the only thing that I have done different is increase my score to a 280. But I am still tring to increase a little more 285 or 290.

Bradler, did you here that the board will meet on Aug 5 cause I have been hearing the 23rd.

Ground&Pound

Thanks guys! It gives me something to shoot for! Im at a 278 and i'm working towards a 285. How good are my chances with my current score?

MettGT

pilot
Thanks guys! It gives me something to shoot for! Im at a 278 and i'm working towards a 285. How good are my chances with my current score?

I'd say a 278 is pretty competitive since you're going ground. Obviously, it's not going to hurt you if you get your goal of 285.

docholiday

Has anybody heard of the board meeting August 5th or am I getting that confused with the deadline to submit all your paperwork.:confused:

MettGT

pilot
Just got word from my OSO this evening that I was selected for 196. 288 PFT and 8/8/8 ASTB. Let the drinking commence...or at least somewhat as I've got to PT and then get to work in the morning. Thanks for everyone that's given gouge and good luck to those still waiting to hear.