• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ196

MettGT

pilot
After lights? I can count on one hand how many nights I had to get up after lights and they were all because of billet responsibilities, i.e., liaising with candidate Co staff and ensuring they knew what needed to be done IOT have the following day(s) run smoothly.

I'd say save your money on all that "nice" gear and just pick up a pair of bates lites. Your small and large bag issue will take care of all the necessities besides a laminated 5 paragraph order and some rite-in-the-rain paper.

Plus you won't have to worry about all that trash during pick-up.

While I didn't stay up too often after lights for reasons other than what you mentioned, I know our staff would often hand out paperwork right before lights out and expect it back by lights on. If you don't want to leave the relative comfort of your rack and go to the head, it's handy. I also thought a headlamp was money for when we were out in the field. Other than that, I'd say the big must have items were good boot socks (ie Thorlo's) and Bates Lites.

jostuar1

Question to all recent 196 grads:

What were some of the common failures of people that got dropped and didn't graduate?

I'm preparing for 197 and hearing about Conaway getting dropped in the 9th week makes me nervous.

Conaway

Question to all recent 196 grads:

What were some of the common failures of people that got dropped and didn't graduate?

I'm preparing for 197 and hearing about Conaway getting dropped in the 9th week makes me nervous.

Listen. Don't worry about it.
The most important thing to concentrate on early on is time management. Time management, time management, time management. A guy from my platoon made a good point once...academics are the one thing they can't take away from you grade wise. There's no reason not to make A's on all the tests. Granted, I was brought up for academics originally and the root of my problem was time management. Why I was dropped was another story...I just want to help guys like yourself who are worrying about getting dropped succeed. Don't worry about what someone else did wrong, just focus on giving 125% at all times.

There were a wide variety of commonalities. I'd say the the top 3 reasons people were dropped were: failure to adapt, academics, and PT in that order. I'd probably say more people actually left for injuries though.

MettGT

pilot
There were a wide variety of commonalities. I'd say the the top 3 reasons people were dropped were: failure to adapt, academics, and PT in that order. I'd probably say more people actually left for injuries though.

I'd agree with Conaway here. We had a kid in my platoon that was doing decent, but struggled with PT. They kept him around until week 9, but ultimately dropped him because he couldn't pass the pull-ups portion of the PFT. IIRC, I don't think he passed any of the 3 PFTs while we were there. They could have dropped him earlier, but there were other people that got the boot way before for failure to adapt and academics.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Hey Mett,

Good to see you guys back, and in one piece. You should come to PT next semester.

How the hell could the guy 9 weeks without passing the PFT..How the hell did he get there in the first place? When you say pass, do you seriously mean he couldn't get more than 3 pullups? What is this world coming to?

MettGT

pilot
Hey Mett,

Good to see you guys back, and in one piece. You should come to PT next semester.

How the hell could the guy 9 weeks without passing the PFT..How the hell did he get there in the first place? When you say pass, do you seriously mean he couldn't get more than 3 pullups? What is this world coming to?

It's good to be back. I'd come PT with you guys, but I have to check into TBS on 3 Jan. As for the guy that got dropped, he didn't pass the minimum pull-ups for a 1st class PFT at OCS, which is 10 (I think). I think he was sitting around 7 or 8. I'm pretty sure you can start OCS with 8 pull-ups, but not before a trip to meet the colonel.

Trev82

pilot
definitely don't underestimate the academics, i for one underestimated the first two tests which were pretty easy (if i would've studied) i failed one and barely passed the other. They are big on academics now and have eased up on the PT, guess they're trying to make the course a little bit more balanced. THe academics if you study is not hard and you should easily ace all of them. I know a LOT of people failed the first two tests which IMMEDIATELY put them in harms way of platoon probation, 3 failures is platoon prob, 4 is company, and 5 is battallion. Also PFT's are heavily weighted so do the best you can on those, and failing to adapt as conaway said is huge as well. Being a sh!t bag and integrity violations i think will get you kicked out the quickest. If your bottom 3 in your squad for peer evals watch out, because its hard to climb out of that bottom three ranking and you can likely be bottom three for all of the three peer evals. If you end up bottom three or close to the bottom three on the first there's either a good chance you'll stay there or drop down to it, unless you recognize your deficiencies and improve. Peer evals will get you kicked out, b/c more than likely your staff doesn't like you either and they will start hitting you with a ton of chits, and essays and anything else they can muster to start building a case against you...any furthur ?'s PM me. Anyone else looking foward to the fun drive to VA (that is if your leaving from the west coast (i.e. San DIego))

Trev82

pilot
conaway i got paid, in fact my last week at OCS i had direct deposit finally working...there is a guy though that i'm working ptad with who didn't get paid either and is trying to get the situation resolved as well.