• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ196

Conaway

I was selected for 196, I am blown away. I was selected with my contracting PFT 255... WTF. Anyway so for all of you gouger's out there looking for a solution, sometimes things can happen. I applied with ASTB 6/7/7, 255 PFT and solid LOR's. So just take your chances and you will get it if you want it. Good luck to all who have made it and those still waiting. Congrats.

Did you contract for fixed or rotary wing?

Trev82

pilot
what? that has got to be something new, never heard of that.....i gotta call shenanigans on that one conaway..

Crowbar

None
Actually, they give you the choice to contract for 8 years fixed-wing or 6 years rotary-wing. My contract specifically stated, "8 years fixed-wing".

You may want to re-read your training agreement. I think that's just stating the time commitment for each option. Unless you signed something saying in no uncertain terms that you were guaranteed one or the other, that ain't what you got.

Trev82

pilot
has anyone ever heard of someone getting rotary or fixed wing BEFORE they even get to API let alone IFS, that doesn't seem rational nor legit

Conaway

what? that has got to be something new, never heard of that.....i gotta call shenanigans on that one conaway..

Nope, has to be something new because it's true. That is exactly what it said in my contract when I signed it this past Monday.

Conaway

has anyone ever heard of someone getting rotary or fixed wing BEFORE they even get to API let alone IFS, that doesn't seem rational nor legit

It's not like they are giving me the choice to fly jets or props. It's just a choice between planes or helos.

Conaway

You may want to re-read your training agreement. I think that's just stating the time commitment for each option. Unless you signed something saying in no uncertain terms that you were guaranteed one or the other, that ain't what you got.

I would have to go look at it again because I can't recall all the specific wording. I do however remember seeing the words "8 years fixed-wing".

Can someone else who has recently contracted say the same?

docholiday

I would have to go look at it again because I can't recall all the specific wording. I do however remember seeing the words "8 years fixed-wing".

Can someone else who has recently contracted say the same?

I just signed my contract today and there was nothing on there about it being fixed wing or helos. I really didn't read every single word but who knows.

OCSCAND

I signed my contract about a little over a month ago and it specifically states the time requirement for both helo and fixed wing, outlining the requirements. No where does it state a guarantee of one or the other.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I signed my contract about a little over a month ago and it specifically states the time requirement for both helo and fixed wing, outlining the requirements. No where does it state a guarantee of one or the other.

This is what that was, Conway. The top half says you have a X month commitment for fixed wing. The bottom says Y for helos.

I gotta say that just the idea of getting helos or fixed at contracting is a little absurd in the system that is in place. Think about it.

Crowbar

None
While the time commitments change occasionally, the typical training agreement should read something like this:

STUDENT NAVAL AVIATOR TRAINING AGREEMENT

1. I understand that, should my request for guarantee of assignment to aviation training be approved, I will be commissioned with Military Occupational Specialty 7599 (Flight Student), and that I am guaranteed assignment to aviation training upon successful completion of The Basic School, provided I am physically qualified for such assignment at that time.

2. I agree not to tender my resignation for ninety-six months from the date of my designation as Naval Aviator if trained to fly fixed wing jets or for seventy-two months from the date of my designation as Naval Aviator if trained to fly any other type of aircraft. I understand that my resignation submitted prior to completion of that minimum period will normally be rejected.

3. I further agree that in the event I am separated from flight training as a result of flight failure, practical work failure, or physical disqualification, I will serve on active duty in a commissioned status for a period of four years from the date initially assigned to active duty as a commissioned officer.

4. I further agree that in the event I am separated from flight training as a result of my own request or by reason of academic failure, I will serve on active duty in a commissioned status for a period of four years from the date initially assigned to active duty as a commissioned officer, plus an extension of active service equal to the time spent in flight training.

docholiday

Thats what I meant. I saw on there the contract requirements but nowhere to did it say to pick either or.